Home » Decade » 1950 » How Kitschville Decks The Halls

December 12, 2013

How Kitschville Decks The Halls

By Eartha Kitsch

I am so excited that we are well into holiday themed posts here at No Pattern Required!  I do have to admit that it is my favorite time of the year and I love seeing how everyone decorates and what fun ideas folks come up with. Did you see Ruth’s post earlier in the week showing her beautiful decorations including a manger built by her grandfather? Such fun to see and if you’d like to look back, you can view her post here. Following on the heels of her tour, I thought I’d take you all on a little visit through my Kitschville ranch!

We have four kitties including one little tabby who eats every wire and cord that he can find so in the interest of no house fires, we don’t have any Christmas trees at all this year. We also can’t keep any decor close to kitty reach so we have to take a well-calculated approach at decor. Lots of things on the walls and high perches! Vertical or bust!

IMG_17001

We got this huge Santa head blow mold at a junk store. He took up the entire back seat of my car! I’ve been tempted to light him up on the front of the house but I’m too scared that someone will steal him. Stranger things have happened in my neighborhood, trust me!

IMG_17861

Snowmen are my favorite holiday collectibles and the nuttier and more homemade the better! One of the guys in the middle was made by someone with butter tubs and the guy next to him in the natty red scarf was created with a brandy snifter.

Behind them on the wall is a vintage Paragon Tree Pak ornaments set. The Mister and I found it complete in the box and couldn’t bear to remove the ornaments. He made a glass shadowbox for it and it hangs in the dining room year round.

IMG_17701

This guy…lordy, he’s huge. My Mom and I were at an estate sale and she said, “Oh! That is sooo you! You have to have that!” and the next thing I knew, I did. He’s flocked in more glitter than considered humanly possible and I think that he was made to go in a pretty large centerpiece back in the day. He cracks me up.

IMG_87501

This was a wreath that I dreamed about for decades. It looks pretty average to most but it’s the same wreath that my late Grandmother always kept on her back carport door. When I found it in an antique store, I went NUTS. When I walk past it in the kitchen and smell the plastic foliage, I always think of my Grandmother’s home at Christmas.

IMG_17811

I love to collect old products and packaging and am known in some circles as “the lady who collects crummy old floor wax bottles”. My second favorite genre? Snow!

IMG_17911

My Mom got this snow couple for me from Etsy. They are made with satin Christmas tree balls. I really love her little stole made out of chenille!

fido1

Not even the characters in my “I Don’t Know These People” portrait hall are safe from festooning. I got this pup at an estate sale and he has the grin of an eternal optimist – so this year, he gets to be Santa Baby!

IMG_1795

And finally, this little portrait of Bill, Jimmy and their sister that I got from Grandmother’s Attic. I love the boys’ sweaters complete with candy canes and bears. I’m also really pleased with how whoever colorized this portrait went heavy on their rosy cheeks! I don’t know these little scamps but they’re spreading cheer on my mantel!

Oh yes, another thing that I collect are old candy boxes. You’ll see one of my favorites there on the right. It’s from Dinstuhl’s Candies in Memphis and I learned online that they are now going five generations strong! When I bought the box, it still had old fossilized chocolates inside. And no, I did not taste them, you sillies!

Thanks for coming along on this tour of Kitschville at Christmas! We’re living proof that families with cats (who are out to destroy the world) can decorate for Christmas too!

How about you all? Do you have any obstacles that you have to overcome to deck the halls? Are your holiday decorations up in full force or do you think you’ll just skip the hoopla this year? Do tell! Just like an elf, I’m all ears!

22 Responses to How Kitschville Decks The Halls

1. deb Reply

December 12, 2013 at 5:40 am

Love it all!

2. Sheri Reply

December 12, 2013 at 7:15 am

I may have to try that butter tub snowman craft! Great job, Eartha!!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

Thanks Sheri! Me too. I totally want to make one of those snowmen. I think that Cool Whip tubs would work nicely too.

3. sherree Reply

December 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

It all looks wonderful and full of the Christmas spirit! I LOVE your kitchen floor. My decorating problem is my basement. Until we can afford to have a licensed electrician come to add more receptacles down there, I am limited on anything that has to be plugged in 🙁 I am not sure why my house was built like that. Maybe they didn’t decorate like I do!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

Thanks Sherree! 🙂 Oh wow, yeah…a lack of receptacles can really stifle a person’s creativity. I hope that you get a ton put in at once and can bring your basement to life!

4. Melinda Reply

December 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

I receive a new snowman from my mom every Christmas, and the center of my collection is the very first one I ever received. It is the same pink hatted blow mold at the right in your photo.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

Aww! I absolutely love that tradition!

5. CAT Reply

December 12, 2013 at 10:23 am

LOVE your house all decorated for Christmas. I mix vintage and new pieces in my house; kitschy and traditional. It’s so fun bringing all the ornaments and decorations out every year and reminiscing.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:42 am

Thanks Cat! 🙂 I’m the same way – I like it all mixed together and can’t live without my kitsch.

December 12, 2013 at 11:16 am

What a clever idea on the glass shadowbox to display the ornaments that are still in the original package. That’s fantastic!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:42 am

Thanks Andrea! 🙂 I love the way that it turned out.

7. Beth Reply

December 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm

The “I Don’t Know These People” portrait hall has me hysterical. I love everything you’ve done here. Homey, whimsical and wonderful.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thanks so much Beth! 🙂 I’ll have to do a tour of the portrait hall sometime. There are seriously some people in there that I have no clue about! 🙂

8. Sara In AZ Reply

December 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Everything looks fabulous and amazing in your house Eartha….as it always does! I love the ornaments in the shadowbox…and the wreath like your Grandmother’s…and ‘hello’ that vintage portrait of the 3 kids….SOOOOO in love with that!!!

Ha! Your neighborhood sounds about as good as ours is…..we have our 2 blow molds chained down! 🙁

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thanks hon! 🙂 Oh gosh, the day when we have to chain down blow molds…that’s just pathetic, isn’t it?

9. dkzody Reply

December 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

In 40 years of having cats, for the first time I have 3 kittens (really grown cats but still very young) who have attacked and destroyed two poinsettias. Live poinsettias. We didn’t have time to put up a tree this year. Just as well. The “kittens” would have destroyed that too.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh yeah….kitties and Christmas. What can I say besides “Good luck!”? 🙂

10. tammyCA Reply

December 13, 2013 at 4:04 am

The shadow box for the ornaments is a great idea. I put my fragile vintage glass ornaments in clear glass jars from the dollar store & put them up on shelves.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

December 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

Thanks Tammy! 🙂 I love that idea too. I should hit the Dollar Store and do the same. The more that things are safe from kitties, the more I’ll be able to decorate. Thank the good Lord for glass doors and jars. 🙂

11. Claudia Reply

December 13, 2013 at 10:34 am

I love this year’s Santa Baby! What a great way to add a fun touch of Christmas and turn a picture you see every day into something new.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply