Home » Decade » 1950 » Merry Retro, Vintage Christmas Everyone!

December 26, 2013

Merry Retro, Vintage Christmas Everyone!

By Sara In AZ

Hey y’all, I sincerely hope that everyone had a wonderful day yesterday….that the company of friends and family was shared and hopefully many smiles too!

I hope all of the fun of Christmas decorating hasn’t worn off on everyone yet, as I ‘d like to show off some of the Christmas kitsch around my house.

We’ll start off with our vintage green and silver aluminum tree. We’ve had this tree for ages….I guess we managed to get pretty lucky with this – we got it before the real craze started. If I remember correctly we only paid $25 for it! And yes, we have scads of knee hugger elves on it! I adore the knee hugger elves and have managed to pick up some here and there for probably the past 10 years…some I was even lucky enough to get as gifts from friends!

100_5983

Two of my very favorite knee hugger elves came from my friend in Ohio! Pink and blue….Eeeeeeee!!!

100_5984

And , I always have to put out the mouse family every year….ALWAYS!

100_5985

Remember the Elf Christmas bags and stockings we scored last January? Well, we have all of those out too!

100_5987

I wasn’t sure where to put the elf bags, so I just set them right on top of the elf tree skirt….can you tell we are elf crazy around here!?

100_5989

And the elf stockings were hung by the chimney with care.

100_5990

Of course I HAD to put out my new/old sweet little ‘NOEL’ elf ornaments!

100_5991

Somewhere along the way we managed to collect a whole heard of old felt stuffed reindeer!

100_5992

Every single one of the red flocked deer we have came from Mike’s Grandmother and we love them to bits…..I managed to score one pink flocked deer a long time ago at an antique store on the cheap, but wow…haven’t seen one since! I SO wish I could find more!!!

100_5995

And finally, this year I actually managed to collect enough vintage wrapping paper from the thrift stores so that nearly all the Christmas gifts were wrapped in vintage paper! Whooooo-Hooooooo!!!!!!

100_5998

Merry Christmas Everyone!

1964 christmas

Next »

18 Responses to Merry Retro, Vintage Christmas Everyone!

December 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Everything looks SO pretty! I miss Christmas already. 🙁 I had no idea that you have such a thing for elves!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Eartha! And what?!? How did you NOT know I had “a thing” for elves!?! I could have sworn you knew!

2. Marlene Brady Reply

December 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm

What a fabulous collection! Thank you for sharing. -Marlene

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Thanks so much for the nice compliment Marlene, so happy you enjoyed!

3. Susan Reply

December 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I think it’s helpful to remember that, on the Christian calendar, Christmas is not just one day, but a whole season, starting on Dec. 25 and ending on January 5, aka Twelfth Night – hence all the old-fashioned references to the 12 days of Christmas. (January 6 is Epiphany, although in some Orthodox denominations, Jan. 6 is actually their Christmas Day – sometimes referred to the “Old Christmas”.)When my daughter was young, I used to try to acknowledge the 12 days of Christmas by arranging for her to open one small present a day, rather than a big blow-out on Dec. 25. I’m not trying to Bible-thump – I just think the whole-12-days-of-Christmas thing is a much healthier way of looking at the season (even if you aren’t a Christian). I never take my tree down until Jan. 5 or 6. So, for me, I won’t be missing Christmas until Jan. 6!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

That’s a good way to look at it Susan….thanks for letting me know your thoughts…..and yeah, we won’t be taking down our tree until the beginning of January either!

4. tammyCA Reply

December 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Oh, I love my Christmas decorations so much that I wait until the middle of January to put away..reluctantly. This year I made my own version of a knee hugger elf girl & she turned out cute.
    I remember finding a pink flocked reindeer at an estate sale few months ago & getting all excited until I lifted it up & saw the gaping hole in it..I suppose I should’ve just bought it & glued it onto a wreath or something, oh well.

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Oh Tammy, your knee hugger elf girl sounds completely adorable – that is awesome that you made one!

Hmmmmmmm, a hole in the pink flocked deer?! I wonder what was done to the poor guy in his previous life? eeps!

5. Laura Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Merry Christmas to all the NPR ladies! Thanks for sharing your beautiful tree!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Glad you enjoyed Laura, Merry Christmas to you too!

December 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Your tree is awesome! I am super impressed you managed to collect all that vintage wrapping paper as well!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 27, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thank you so much Andrea….and I know, it was weird…..I just kept finding old paper time after time at the thrifts this past year…so I figured why not just use it!

7. sherree Reply

December 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Sara I love your tree. In fact it all looks wonderful. I still think about those awesome elf stockings and bags you bought last year! Maybe you could fill those little bags with smaller gifts (wrapped in your vintage paper of course) and hang them somewhere, maybe over the back of your kitchen or dining chairs, or maybe on a cabinet. Or just use them when shopping or running errands during the holidays to hold your coupons, sunglasses, lists, etc. Happy New Year!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Thank you Sherree! Ha! I know, I think back on that elf score and I am still stunned we found all that stuff! Good ideas on how to use the elf bags – maybe next year I will put small gifts into them….Thanks!

Happy New Year to you too!!!

8. Maureen Reply

December 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing Sara! I especially love that tree-it is gorgeous! I made the executive decision in our house that we are celebrating the Christmas through January 1st. Since Thanksgiving was so late in November, I feel we haven’t gotten our fill of Christmas cheer!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 27, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Oh gosh, thank you very much Maureen! And I totally know what you mean, the Christmas season was WAY to short this year, our tree will definitely be up until sometime next week too!

9. Misty Callahan Reply

October 9, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Sara, I ran across this page on accident while doing a search on Google…are you still looking for pink flocked reindeer? I recently snagged 2 of the 10″ ones in a box of mid-century Christmas items I got at an auction. Please let me know if you’re interested. Misty 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 11, 2015 at 4:56 am

Thanks so very much for the offer Misty….lucky you! I managed to find one more after I did this post so I guess I am good with a set of 2, you should do well selling it though as it seems like the pink deer always sell for $$$s!