Home » Culture & Media » Vintage Holiday » Christmas » Vintage And Retro Christmas Decorations Around Our House for 2013!

December 10, 2013

Vintage And Retro Christmas Decorations Around Our House for 2013!

By RetroRuth

Hope everyone is having a great week so far! Sara in AZ’s Sputnik light at Lowe’s post has thrown things a little off this week, but the awesomeness it contained was totally worth it. If you haven’t checked it out yet, you really should. Anyway, so today instead of seeing Etsy picks you are going to be seeing Christmas decorations that Tom and I put up over the past weekend!

Our winking Holt Howard santas love the vintage radio. They are always a big hit!

Here is our main (of three) trees this year! This is a white tree we purchased several years ago from Wal-Mart and it is covered with a bunch of vintage ornaments from my grandparents and Tom’s grandparents. The top is a crazy red vintage bird I picked up somewhere for a dollar. Tom hates is, but I told him until we find the perfect sputnik topper it is going to stay there! And yes, I have already started wrapping Christmas presents. I totally went overboard this year buying for Alex and our two nieces. If I don’t start wrapping now I will never be done by Christmas!

Our felt Santa from our vintage Christmas card bulletin board. Love this guy!

The normally atomic/sci-fi shadow box has been invaded by Christmas themed salt and pepper shakers!

Our second tree, pink of course, and covered with reproduction Shiny Brites and glitter stars!

Here is our manger scene this year. The manger itself was built by my grandfather, and the nativity figures are retro and were sent to us this year by Tom’s parents. The enormous flock of sheep are from my great-grandparents, and I believe they are originally from Germany.

A smiling Santa planter that was my grandmother’s! He is on top of a tablecloth that was also my grandmother’s.

A small part of our vintage Plastic Ville village and our train. With our little munchkin rolling around on the rug, I didn’t think these would be safe on the floor this year, so they are up off the ground and on the fireplace. The train is a reproduction Lionel that was from my parents a few years ago.

Well, that is it for now! If you are curious about our third tree, it is a plain green tree that is covered with Tom and my childhood ornaments, Simpsons ornaments and Star Wars ornaments. Pretty much the geekiest tree ever!

How is your Christmas decorating coming along this year? Does everyone have their tree up? I would love to hear about it in the comments!

10 Responses to Vintage And Retro Christmas Decorations Around Our House for 2013!

1. Ann Kennedy Reply

December 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love this post, and it is very gratifying to see your appreciation of family keepsakes. Those items become more special with each passing year! We use a fresh tree and decorate with 4 generations of ornaments–some gorgeous, some ugly, all precious to me. We still use the nativity figures from my childhood, made in Italy, which were purchased at our local Ben Franklin– 29¢ each for a “big” one like a camel, donkey and wise men, and 19¢ for the others! However, my favorite item is a string of pastel colored lights, each inside a flexible silver “cage” that still work! Thanks for sharing your Christmas!

2. Kaitlin Reply

December 10, 2013 at 11:07 am

This is so inspiring! We moved into a much smaller house last year, but this makes me want to put a few choice vintage pieces here and there.

Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Now I’m off to trawl Etsy before school… 😉

December 10, 2013 at 11:29 am

Everything looks so beautiful! I especially like the history behind your nativity scene, both with the manger and the figures. You can pass those down to your baby girl with the story behind them.

December 10, 2013 at 11:41 am

So cute! Our dree will not go up until the 15th or so around here. Your ornaments are so fantastically adorable though, wow!

5. Lassie Reply

December 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

We have a little tabletop tree from Target, came with lights. We put on about 100 smallish family ornaments. Some bought, some given to us, some home-made (the gold-painted macaroni picture frame from 3rd grade!). When we used to have a real tree, we would cut off the stump. Slice the stump into thin slices and let them dry out well. Glue on a snapshot of us doing something during the year (vacation, bowling, rollerskating) and marking with a sharpie pen the date and place . Varnish. Drill a hole, hang from the tree our rustic little pine ornaments. These are just priceless to us.

I am enjoying your site SO much, thank you for bringing a little light and fun into the world. Have a merry Christmas and happy new year.

6. Sara In AZ Reply

December 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

Love all of your trees and decorations…that manger is really, really special! We just barely got the green and sliver aluminum tree up and threw on a bunch of elf knee hugger ornaments…..they are pretty hee-larious! SO jealous you have already started wrapping……I am SO behind!!!

7. Flying Texan Reply

December 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Love your decorations! I think my mom has those winking Santa cups! I’ll have to ask her (maybe she’ll will them to me!). I really love the nativity scene and the flock of sheep!
    Our tree is up and decorated (only thing up so far). It is a fake green one with about 600 multicolored lights and gobs of personal ornaments. I could give you the history behind every one of them! I have a beautiful handmade angel on top that I won at a charity auction about 20 years ago. And, lastly, is long tinsel that starts at the top and flows to the bottom, that I bought in Brazil about 13 years ago. Love my tree! Happy Decorating!

8. Maureen Reply

December 10, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I love your decorations, and I am curious about your vintage Christmas card bulletin board. Any chance of a picture of that? I collect them, and would love to display them in a fun way, but must admit-my craftiness leaves much to be desired!

We are getting our tree tomorrow, and we decorate with a combination of handmade ornaments done by my husband’s Nana, vintage ones I have been able to find, Disney, and ornaments we have bought in the early years of our marriage. We use the C-7 old style colored lights on the tree-I was so happy when we saw them a few years ago at the store. They remind me so much of the lights on the tree when I was growing up.

9. Sara Reply

December 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Love all your decorations!

Retro/Vintage Christmas decorations are my kryptonite.

I have an original aluminum 4 foot tree with color wheel that my Aunt gave to me from the 60s. I absolutely love it! Unfortunately my house is in remodel mode and I have no room to put it up. Hopefully next year! So this year it’s the big green tree with our childhood ornaments with a mix of ornaments from my grandparents and great grandparents and some miscellaneous vintage ones I picked up along my way. Hope your Christmas is wonderful and your daughter is adorable. 🙂

10. Pingback: How Kitschville Decks The Halls | No Pattern Required