Home » Decade » 1960 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Stone Sprawler in Dallas, Texas

December 29, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Stone Sprawler in Dallas, Texas

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s house is a huge Texas sprawler with just enough 1960’s left in it to do me proud. Many of the details had me yelping “Wow!”. I love seeing homes with original features intact. Though, this one is unfortunately advertised as  “a potential remodel” or  “a tear-down”, I personally hope that it keeps on doing what it does so well. It seems like the changes that have been made could be easily reversed and this home could be a time capsule dream.

12048958_1

This home is located at 7239 S. Janmar Court in Dallas, Texas and was built in 1962.  It has 5 bedrooms, 4 baths and is 5,334 feet. It’s listed at $1,050,000 and is being offered by Dave Perry-Miller and Associates.  Let’s take a look!

12048958_2

12048958_19

12048958_11

12048958_20

12048958_22

12048958_23

12048958_21

What do you all think of this home? Is there enough meat left on the bone for a vintage home lover?  Would you remove the 1980’s bits and live and love? Do tell!

11 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Stone Sprawler in Dallas, Texas

1. RetoSandie Reply

December 29, 2013 at 8:46 am

It’s beautiful! And everything looks to be in nice condition to me … why on earth would it be a “tear down”??? I loved the pink bathroom and it looked like it was fine. I certainly hope someone who has love for it as it is gets it!!!

2. cp Reply

December 29, 2013 at 9:10 am

I agree. There is much to love about this house. It’s definitely a keeper. I really like the way it looks from the outside, in both the front and back of the house. I’m not wild about what they’ve done to the kitchen, but I’m really drawn to the wooden screen room divider near the sliding doors in the picture just below the kitchen. I love that! It would definitely be staying! I like that there are shelves everwhere, too!

3. dkzody Reply

December 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

All of those built-ins is very typical of high-end homes built in the early 70s. I remember taking an interior design class during that time and visiting many homes that looked like this. Even tried to figure out how to get some built-in cabinetry into my little early 50s house. This is a great house. Great price too!!

December 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

Gorgeous home!!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

December 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I REALLY love the stone exterior and that front door….YES I’d be all over this place – this is one amazing house!

6. Barbara Reply

December 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm

A million dollar fixer-upper? Other than ripping out the carpet, there is so very little to do other than put your own mark on it!!

7. Pam Lappin Reply

December 29, 2013 at 5:17 pm

The front doors are amazing.

December 29, 2013 at 9:47 pm

The built ins are totally fantastic! Loving the pink bathroom as well.

9. Betty Crafter Reply

December 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

The front doors!!!!

10. Jen Reply

January 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Holy cats, that place is pretty spectacular! I’ll confess to not being crazy about the orange carpet or what appear to be ragrolled walls (people, please stop), but…Hubba hubba! The KITCHEN is fabulous! A new paint for the walls and those cabinets will be the belle of every ball. The built-ins…the entry…the stone exterior…golly, it’s gorgeous! Why advert this as a “tear down” or reno? People are just insane. I’m sorry, it’s true. What a beautiful home!

11. tammyCA Reply

January 1, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Is that white upper story an addition? It seems they didn’t have that many bedrms/baths back then.
    Love that room divider screen! And, always pink baths.

Personally, I’d want to restore it more to the early ’60s era it was originally built in & get rid of anything 1980s (in my opinion, the worst era for design or lack thereof, track lighting, skylights..)I’d rather have large side windows than skylights, which always cast a strange “white” light to me that makes me very uncomfortable. I guess it would have to be re-designed then. To my mind, Texas in the early 1960s was all about the Space Race to the Moon, the hero astronauts, the Atomic era, President Kennedy…so, I’d definitely want to preserve that important time in history thru architecture/design.
    (BTW, I’m now reading the book, “The Astronauts Wives”..even has a nifty retro book design). 🙂