Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » Five Fantastic 1950’s Kitchens from Vintage Advertisements

January 27, 2014

Five Fantastic 1950’s Kitchens from Vintage Advertisements

By RetroRuth

I hope everyone is having a great Monday! And just in case your Monday stinks, here are five gorgeous kitchens from 1950’s advertisements to make your day that much better.

American Standard001 BHG June 1955

This pretty kitchen is from an American Standard ad in the June, 1955 issue of Better Homes & Gardens.

Kitchen Maid001 BHG March 1954

This pretty wood and stainless kitchen is from a Kitchen Maid ad in the March, 1954 issue of Better Homes & Gardens.

FoodARama001 BHG Aug 1959

These next three kitchens are all from one of the greatest ads ever. It is for the Foodarama from Kelvinator. If I could have a vintage fridge, this would be the one!

FoodARama001 BHG Aug 1959

This ad was from the August, 1959 issue of Better Homes & Gardens.

FoodARama001 BHG Aug 1959

The pink fridge in the purple kitchen! Isn’t it just so awesome? I love it!

I hope these vintage kitchens made your Monday just a bit better!

8 Responses to Five Fantastic 1950’s Kitchens from Vintage Advertisements

January 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oooh…I squealed at every single one. GORGEOUS! This even further drives home how much people love beige nowadays.

2. Lynne Reply

January 27, 2014 at 11:34 am

They sure weren’t afraid of mixing color, were they??

Oh, the clothes. Why don’t we still wear those beautiful clothes?

3. Sara In AZ Reply

January 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

January 27, 2014 at 4:38 pm

That pink and purple kitchen really is a knockout!

5. dkzody Reply

January 27, 2014 at 7:34 pm

As Lynne said–oh, the clothes. Such great clothes. Just had a conversation with a friend about how people used to dress up to travel or to go to Disneyland.

6. Maureen Reply

January 27, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I love these kitchens so much!

dkzody-I totally agree, a couple weeks ago I watched home movies my Dad had put on a DVD. You can see us in Disneyland in 1969-and we are dressed to a T. Even family outings to the museums in Chicago, we are all dressed up, my dad had on a tie and suitcoat, my mom was always dressed beautifully. While I like casual clothes, I miss that kind of elegance you would see.

7. Jen Reply

January 31, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Oooo, the pine with all the gingham! *squeal* They are all so darling, though, and I’d not turn down a one of them.

Regarding travel and clothes, a fellow photographer was sharing his mother’s photos of her own youthful travels during the 1950s. During her visit to DC, everyone was dressed so nicely. As I always go out myself dressed 40s or 50s, I do get a lot of comments—but to be honest, I think it is more that people like seeing someone Dressed than it is me or how I, personally, look. The feeling I get is that people (men especially, but also young girls, interestingly enough!) really appreciate the effort and care. It makes them happy—and though I dress this way because I like it, knowing it makes others happy is definitely an encouragement! I say be the grace you want to see in life.

8. Jacki Reply

May 14, 2014 at 9:55 am

I think Jen nailed it in her statement about “dressing up”. By the way, does anyone else think it is odd in the placement of the oven in the wood and stainless “kitchen Maid” ad???