Home » Decade » 1950 » Mid Century Modern Phoenix Time Capsule House…..That WAS For Sale!

January 30, 2014

Mid Century Modern Phoenix Time Capsule House…..That WAS For Sale!

By Sara In AZ

As most of you already know Mike and I are on this epic house hunt for a 50s/60s time capsule house. I comb through the new listings in the Phoenix metro area everyday….usually twice a day. A while back this awesome mid century time capsule popped up that I went crazy-balls over. As I scoured the pictures I was already mentally moving us into the house! I got very excited and thought it could work even though it was a bit smaller than we had originally wanted. I e-mailed my agent about the house and she immediately e-mailed me back saying ‘this wasn’t really the area we wanted to relocate to’. I mapped the house out and she was right….let’s just say this poor house is located in a somewhat less than desirable area of South Phoenix and we’ll just leave it at that. That said I thought y’all would still like to see the pics….it is a cool house!

This house was built in 1956 and has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and is 1,884 sq feet. This house sold for $225,000.

I know it is hard to tell from this picture, but to the right of the front door was this super amazing stone accent wall that jutted out from the house…..WAY cool!

From the listing

MID-CENTURY MODERN CLASSIC located on over an acre of land; your very own mini-ranch with irrigation and Magnificent Mountain Views. The front entry opens to a gracious living room with a two-way Quartz Rock fireplace that’s stunning. The Kitchen has the original ˜pink” stove and opens to a generous sized family room. Dining and living rooms in separate areas. Tons of storage with built in cupboards/drawers PLUS tons of potential with so many original fixtures still in place! Create your own Mid-Century Masterpiece! NEW items: AC Unit, Gas Water Heater, Roof 2011 and fresh interior paint. This home has unlimited potential and can turn into a home owners great pride! No HOA! Hurry and make this one yours!

The landscaping definitely needed some work and there was no real driveway – just dirt, but I could see the potential.

Here is another view of the front – you can see that stone accent wall a bit better from this view.

This would be your view as soon as you walk in the front door. Lay down some hardwoods and I am all set to go……and all that stone…swoon!

The view towards the front window, with the dining area up those stairs.

You can just barely see the front door entrance in this view…..that entry light….LOVE!

View towards the front door entrance.

A front view of the fireplace – I LOVE the it is a double fireplace!

A closer view of the dining room.

The dining room looking into the kitchen.

This is the other side of the fireplace…..in what would be the family room area I guess. There are bi-fold doors on either side of the fireplace so this room could be sectioned off from the front formal areas. Also, I adore that wood ceiling area above the fireplace and how it has the built-in lighting.

A view to the back porch from the family room.

Pull down light! View towards the bedroom hallway and  a small dining area.

The kitchen……wheeeeeeeee…..pink appliances!!!!!!!

The wood cabinets might need a bit of cleaning, but they look in really great shape to me.

One of the bedrooms.

The sink vanity and toilet in this bathroom had been replaced – bummer.

The cute built in vanity was still intact though!

Pink shower!

Acres and acres of built-in cabinets and storage in the hall! AMAZING!!!

The master bathroom….I personally LOVE this vanity and all the lights!

There was a ‘Roman’ type tub/shower in the master bath.

The back porch was amazeballs and was SO huge…..it had the original red stain concrete too and it looked like it was in perfect shape!

So sad that it was not in a better area, I hope the news owners love it just the way it is!

All images property of Home Smart.

13 Responses to Mid Century Modern Phoenix Time Capsule House…..That WAS For Sale!

1. Janice Reply

January 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

Wow, I can see why you fell in love with this house! So many great features! Those cabinets in the hallway are amazing! I have lots of built-ins in my hallway, too, but not that many! Good luck in your search for the perfect time capsule. Good things come to those who wait!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:35 pm

It’s SO lovely Janice….I think it could really be a showplace with just a little spiffing up here and there….so, so sad it isn’t in a better area. Thanks on your well wishes…..we’ve been looking for a VERY long time so I am hoping one shows up real soon!!! 🙂

January 30, 2014 at 11:49 am

Aw, too bad it was not in a very good area! I am drooling over all of those built ins in the hall – so much storage!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Uggghhhh, I know Andrea….I was just so bummed it was not in a better area. Those built in cabs are amazeballs!!!

January 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

WHOA! What a house! Holy heck…why…oh…..why..oh….why???

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:38 pm

I know Eartha…..my thoughts EXACTLY!

4. tammyCA Reply

January 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Isn’t it sad that areas with better made houses have become the “not so great area”? And, then years down the line it does become the desirable “IN” area (like those close to downtown shops/restaurants) with people hoping to find a period home mostly intact. Actually, when I watch Nicole Curtis rescue great old houses on her show I think its probably a good thing that the less unfortunate previous dwellers didn’t have money to rip out the vintage character and replace with “cheap big box store carp”.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm

You know Tammy – I’d be willing to go to a ‘not so great’ area, but sadly this one crosses over that line WAY to far.

Not to long ago we were all set to buy what we thought was our dream house…seriously an AMAZING time capsule with everything I could ever hope for and the price was right too. We went to view it knowing it was in a so-so area and on the very edge of a moderately busy street….we were ok with all of that because the house was SO awesome we were willing to make those concessions and just deal with it…..until we saw the house had been tagged and found out it had been broken into a few times…..yeah, that was a deal breaker.

Another area around here, Maryvale, was the first master planned community back In the 50s…and it has some very cool looking flat roof houses and some great time capsules….sadly that area just gets worse and worse each year and I don’t think it can ever come back at this point. 🙁

5. Charlotte Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Dang, Sara, when I saw that headline I assumed it meant YOU bought the house! Oh well. I’m sorry this still wasn’t the right one for you, but I’m sure you guys will find the right one in time.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Eeps, sorry Charlotte….I can see how it would read that way! Girl – don’t I wish that was the case!

Ha! When we FINALLY do find a house I will have to do some major ‘breaking news’ headline or something won’t I!? 🙂

We seriously NEED to find a house soon, I am still lamenting over that 60s time capsule that got gutted out by investor/flippers that I wrote about a while back. uggghhhhh…..

6. Sarah Reply

February 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This may sound like a weird question, but what’s your online house hunting strategy? We’re renting now, but I’ll look for fun every now and again. The keyword “retro” turns up a fair number of houses, but not many that are true time capsules.

Do you look through new Trulia listings by hand? We want to stay in Chicagoland and I could see that being time consuming someday since Chicagoland is huge.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hi Sarah – Our real estate agent has us set up on the Phoenix area MLS system. The MLS system is the service all the real estate agents across the US use (it just varies by region) and where you will see the listings pop up first. With the MLS it is best to not search by word terms like “retro” or “time capsule” – only by say year built, or location, sq. footage etc. Sometimes agents will put those terms in the remarks and sometimes not – and most of them do not even really get what “time capsule” or “retro” means anyway.

Our agent knows what we are looking for so she has us set up on specific searches for homes – mostly for the year built (1950-1965) and then for location in the Phoenix metro area and size, etc. I am e-mailed the new listings everyday and I comb through all of them to see if it’s anything that will work.

I would say that if you are serious about buying a vintage time capsule home then get hooked up with an agent who first “gets” what you are looking for because it could be a LONG process (we’ve been looking for 4 years now!) and then have them set you up on the same system I am on where you narrow down what location you want to be, then size of house and year built etc. You should get e-mails everyday with new listings.

With any luck you’ll have your dream retro house soon!

• Sarah Reply

February 20, 2014 at 11:57 am

Thanks! Searching by year built is smart. We do have an agent in Chicagoland who specializes in MCM, too. Most houses on his website are a bit too high end, but as soon as we have something resembling a down payment I’ll probably reach out and start looking. Thanks for the advice!