Home » Decade » 1940 » Opinion Time Again!

January 15, 2014

Opinion Time Again!

by Andrea

Since you awesome NPR readers have such great opinions, I am hoping you can help me out again!  I need some help picking a paint colour.

20140114_103509

This is my faux fireplace in my living room.  It is one of the original architectural details that really sold me on my house!

20140114_103545

This is the archway that is immediately beside it.  Please disregard the horrible sage green  wall colour in the entryway behind it, that’s going to be painted.

Here’s my dilemma – I’ve never been happy with the acid green accent colour that I painted there – it’s too yellow and not the right colour.  I would like to paint it out, but I am not sure with what color.

The other colour elements I am working with in this room:

20140114_103343

I’ve just made new throw pillows out of these two fabrics for my couches.

20131210_190959

Here’s a closer view of the two pillow prints.  They are AH Atomic by Alexander Henry and Urbanista – Madison by Michael Miller.

20131210_190919

This is the vintage barkcloth I am going to be using to make drapes as well as upholster a chair that I just scored at the thrift store today!

20140114_140130

Finally, here’s my living room lamps – these have more of the green shade that I intended to go for originally.

So, keeping all of that in mind, I would love to hear some accent colour suggestions from you, readers!  Please leave your suggestions in the comments below!

12 Responses to Opinion Time Again!

1. Anonymous Reply

January 15, 2014 at 7:24 am

I would take the color from the lampshade and use it.

2. sherree Reply

January 15, 2014 at 8:46 am

I vote for one of the shades of gray shown in your throw pillows and vintage bark cloth fabric. That will pull it all together :-) And I love your fireplace!

3. deb Reply

January 15, 2014 at 9:08 am

I agree with Sherree – I would choose grey. I have the grey/aqua with either pink or light green in various rooms of my house and I LOVE the combination. It’s very correct for the period, but using a neutral really lets the features (and other colors) shine. For me, too many colors = no place for the eye to rest and enjoy. And you have so many lovely treasures, I’d hate for your colors to compete too much!

4. nickarmadillo Reply

January 15, 2014 at 9:23 am

I know that you were looking for just an accent color, but I think that the place would look really great with white walls and black accents. It would make all of those brightly colored decor items to really pop.

Otherwise, I’d go with the blue walls and an accent color that is somewhat more staid, like a white.

• Andrea Reply

January 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Oooh, if I ever get tired of my turquoise, this is an excellent idea – I love black and white!

5. Lynne Reply

January 15, 2014 at 11:28 am

I would paint the walls the color of the background of the drape fabric. Take the fabric to the paint store for a good color match. I would extend the same color into the entry.

6. Angie Reply

January 15, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I just painted my cloffice (closet/office) a lovely shade of pink so light you would think it is white. I took some pink Pyrex down to the paint store and pick a paint a few shades lighter of the same hue. I didn’t want it that vibrant but loved the hue. I didn’t try to have them mix it and lighten it up because the clerk said that can change the hue and make it more red or blue. This may be the way to go. I would stay away from grey because it is actually very hard to match grays, thy can go very blue or very red, I find the same problem with purple as well. I say maybe a lighter shade of the turquoise in the fabric you bought for drapes would make the fabric pop as well as the other accessories in the room. You don’t want all those lovely vintage things you spent so much time collecting to blend into the back ground. I wouldn’t go that vibrant but that is more of a personal choice since I am afraid of color on my walls. Good luck because painting sucks and can’t wait to see the after.

January 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I should probably clarify – I am not looking to change the wall colour (I love my turquoise!), just the yellowy-green accent colour. I do like the grey suggestion, as I was going to paint the entryway grey (I have a lot of grey elsewhere in my house). A lighter turquoise is an interesting idea as well. Please, keep the suggestions coming! :-)

8. Anonymous Reply

January 15, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Black?

9. Melinda Reply

January 15, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I would go for one of the pink shades from your pillow fabric. I think it would look great with the turquoise!

10. Natalie Reply

January 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I’m liking the colors from your lamp shade. You also have a lot of grey details which could look nice. Great fire place!

January 16, 2014 at 11:31 pm

That you for all of your suggestions! Stay tuned for the after … I am excited to go paint now!