Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro and Vintage Estate Sale Finds!

January 16, 2014

Retro and Vintage Estate Sale Finds!

By Sara In AZ

Probably most of y’all know by now that I avoid Estate Sales like the plague…I’ve had some really bad experiences over the past few years, so now I mostly just concentrate on going to the thrift stores and flea markets.

However, if we are out and about and I see a sign for an “Estate Sale” this-a-way….well, I usually am compelled to drive by and check it out. This happened to Mike and I a few weeks ago when we were in a neighborhood checking out some houses up for sale (unfortunately no luck on the houses). We were just driving by and I saw the sign up for a sale…..I was unsure if the sale would even still be going on as it was very late in the day for an estate sale….probably around 3 pm. We threw caution to the wind and drove in the direction all the signs were pointing and we were both shocked to see the sale was still open.

We had actually arrived on the very last day of an estate sale that had been going on for 3 weekends in a row. They were “blowin’ out the doors” so to speak and just looking to get rid of whatever they could! The guy running the sale was SO super nice, I just loved him and would probably make it a point to go to every sale he had….unfortunately he had come in to town from San Diego specifically at the family’s request to do this sale for the estate……bummer.

So Mike and I rooted around for probably a good hour finding things here and there…..I found other things that I did not picture here like an old Hallmark photo album and some other odds and ends. The prices were CRAZY cheap….so cheap that you wanted to keep finding stuff…though I did splurge on one thing you will see at the end. Pretty much everything that I bought was a dollar….or less….we’d bring a stack of stuff up to buy and they’d say we could have the whole stack for $3, so it will be hard for me to be really exact on what I actually paid for stuff.

So, what did we find….well, let’s take a look-see!

You know that I couldn’t pass up a set of vintage felt Christmas stockings!

They even had their original labels still attached.

These old Avon catalogs…funny story…..these weren’t really even out for sale, they were just in a box that was falling apart in the garage. I saw these old Avon catalogs peeking out from under the cardboard and wondered what years they were from, after a bunch of digging it seemed like it was mostly 1970s and 1980s. I could not resist buying a stack since I remember Avon so vividly from my childhood…expect to see scans of these old catalogs coming up in the future!

OK, yes….a Mr. Potato Head knock-off! I thought this was rather hilarious and interesting that it was still in the original box. The box says ‘Made In Western Germany’ on the side.

It looks like most all of the parts are still there, but the poor guy is missing one foot!

Oh lord, vintage dish towels. It’s a weakness, I admit it…..I cannot pass one up if it’s cheap! I think Mike would be just fine if he never, ever saw another vintage dish towel come through our doors again! ha!

All of the towels were $1, except the one on the left below…that one was $4 and they were not budging on that price. It’s a Pat Prichard linen towel and oh my gosh….SO cute. Along the top it says “There’s An Angel In The Kitchen” and just check out all of those cookies, cupcakes and cakes surrounding the oven…..adorable!

That wraps up my finds….has anyone else been to any estate sales lately? Any fabulous finds? Do tell!

14 Responses to Retro and Vintage Estate Sale Finds!

January 16, 2014 at 9:23 am

Nice haul!!! So jealous over that veggie toy! So, are you able to make Mr. & Mrs. out of the same kit, or is it just the “Mr.” kit?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 16, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Ruth! You know, I think it really could go either way…that you could make the Mr or Mrs….it’s almost like how you “dress” the potato is what determines the sex…..and of course I have no clothes for the potatoes…..yet anyways! 🙂

2. Carrie Reply

January 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

You definitely scored some goodies. Love that Vera dish towel!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 16, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Thank you so much Carrie….and I know, I can NEVER pass up a Vera towel!

3. Janice Reply

January 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Love all your goodies, but what I REALLY love is your kitchen table! I have a vintage Formica table, but I lust after the ones with the built in pattern. Someday I’ll find that perfect one!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Oh gosh, thanks so much Janice! 🙂 We’ve had that table for a long time now, when we originally got it we had to re-cover all the chairs that came with it….I remember I insisted on a turquoise diamond to be inset into the seat backs to kind of mimic the diamond shapes in the table. Needless to say the upholsterer was not thrilled with me, but I’m still glad I had him do it that way!

• Janice Reply

January 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Sara sometimes the right way is not the easy way and I’m glad you stuck to your guns! Still jealous over that table….

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 17, 2014 at 2:42 pm

You are so right Janice…and I am glad that I did stick to my guns! Don’t you worry, I am sure you will find the perfect table sooner or later!

January 16, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Awesome loot, Sara! It’s crazy to think that you got stuff that good on the last day! You KNOW I love Mr. and Mrs. Funny Face. I read once that when the inventor of Mr. Potato Head came up with that idea, no manufacturers would touch it because it was during the war and the idea of wasting food to play with it was considered controversial. It makes sense though! That said, yours are WAY cuter than the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head versions!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thank you very much Miss Eartha! It is crazy that I found it all on the last day….I guess you never know!

I never knew that about the Mr Potato Head invention…that is was considered controversial….very interesting.

I was kind of hem-hawing if I should get it or not….like I need MORE stuff around the house right?! 🙂 , but I had never seen another one like it so I pretty much had to get it!

5. tammyCA Reply

January 16, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Well, $4 is still super for that darling towel. I sometimes get to go to estate sales but because they are on weekends I really can’t due to our schedules. Prices here are pretty high so I can’t say I ever got a great deal. I guess the best thing is that I love vintage sheets (so soft) and those seem to not be hot ticket items, so I’ve got quite a few of them.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I think so too Tammy! I just could not pass it up…even though the price was higher than the other towels!

And I know what you mean about vintage sheets….I love them to bits too and they seem to be made SO much better than modern sheets.

January 16, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Awesome finds! I am jealous of all those tea towels – all of my years of garage saleing, and I’ve only ever come across one vintage tea towel!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 17, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I am surprised Andrea……only one towel?! Wow! I wonder what the deal is with that? Let’s hope 2014 is the year of finding vintage tea towels for you!!!