Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro & Vintage Thrift Store Finds!

January 23, 2014

Retro & Vintage Thrift Store Finds!

By Sara In AZ

The thrifts have been very hit and miss lately…maybe because of the holidays…but I’ve managed to find a few cool things along the way, let’s check them out!

First up, this adorbs little angel girl soap dish….I could not pass her up….so, so cute! And, I was also stunned that she made it ALL the way through the thrift store process unscathed! Whooo-hoooooo!!!

100_2423a

I found this kitschy old tie rack….now, if I could only get Mike to wear ties. ha! I think he has exactly one tie and that was the tie he wore the day we were married!

fd1

You just know that I could not pass up vintage Shiny Brite!

fd2

I confess – I have a deep and abiding love for crazy wall plaques…..the kookier the better…so I knew the second I saw this 3 dimensional Asian wall plaque she was coming home with me!

fd3

And finally, I don’t know how I did it….but I managed to find some vintage Paint By Number pictures! I was pretty surprised as this was the very first time I have come across any PBN’s in a thrift store around these parts. They were painted very well, by someone who took a lot of time and care painting them,  and I liked the theme of the pictures so I snatched them right on up!

fd6

Well, that wraps up my recent thrifting finds….anyone else score anything cool lately? Do tell!

14 Responses to Retro & Vintage Thrift Store Finds!

1. Malissa Reply

January 23, 2014 at 9:38 am

We found a vintage air pot carafe at goodwill over the weekend for $6! It’s flower power to the max and in perfect condition. Will be using it for sure!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 24, 2014 at 1:26 am

How cool Malissa…great find!!!

2. CAT Reply

January 23, 2014 at 10:37 am

Just found a neon pink winter coat with fur cuffs and collar. Absolutely love it. No one will ever lose me wearing this!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 24, 2014 at 1:27 am

That sounds amazing Cat…and you are right – you will NEVER be lost again!

3. Janice Reply

January 23, 2014 at 11:02 am

Seeing your Shiny Brites reminds me of the score I made the day after Christmas. I’ve never had much luck finding anything of interest in the thrift stores where I live, but after leaving the gym, which is right by a thrift store, I thought why not? I’ll pop in and see what they have. I found 4 boxes of pink and turquoise Shiny Brites in their original boxes which were in remarkably good condition for $.69 a box. Of course, I bought all four! Your little angel soap dish is adorable and I agree – how did that precious set of wings ever stay attached through all these years?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 24, 2014 at 1:44 am

Janice….WOW…..4 boxes of pink and turquoise Shiny Brites for 69 cents….TOTAL score!!!!! And I know, I am constantly amazed that ANYTHING fragile makes it through the thrift store process!!!

January 23, 2014 at 11:22 am

Ohh, I love that soap dish, too cute! I found an awesome chair that I will be featuring in an upcoming post – and it was only $1.00!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 24, 2014 at 1:46 am

Thanks Andrea…..and whoa – a chair for ONLY $1……amazing – can’t wait to see it!

5. Amy Reply

January 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I am dying over those paint-by-numbers!

I haven’t had that much luck with vintage goodies. In the last week I found one single Hazel Atlas pink crinoline ripple saucer and a Shawnee blue chick pitcher.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 24, 2014 at 1:49 am

I was just shocked when I saw those PBNs Amy….literally stunned!

And don’t give up looking…..the vintage stuff seems to really come and go at the thrifts here. Sometimes I will find a lot and sometimes weeks go by and I find nothing.

6. tammyCA Reply

January 24, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Oh that angel dish..love that very much! Haven’t found anything vintage (like before 1980) in ages at the thrift and it’s rare to find anything good. Its a drag that the vintage stuff that I really like I have to buy on eBay/etsy for $$..and estate sales? the “Hollywood people” snag everything first at top price..and the flea markets are very pricey too for that reason. Yard sales always seem to be icky clothes or people who tell me “that sells on eBay for $$!” Yes that has happened more than once.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Tammy – That is so sad the that everything good is snagged up by all the Hollywood re-sellers first. 🙁 I am kind of surprised…as in my mind I would think California would be almost overflowing with cheap vintage stuff for sale…..I couldn’t be MORE wrong! At least there is always ebay and etsy…keep an eye on my ‘Kool Kitsch’ posts and my ebay collections page….I really do try to find cheap cool stuff….maybe you’ll see something you like one of these days!

7. sherree Reply

January 25, 2014 at 9:56 am

I love those paint by numbers! It is hit and miss here too. What I do find is usually cheap though. Our town has very high unemployment (with taxes to match) and people are struggling so the prices stay low. I went to a junk shop last week and anything Christmas was 10 cents each. I did find a few vintage smalls 🙂 I have 2 Oriental chalk ware plaques very similar to the one you found. I got them for 75% off at a booth that was closing. Paid $4.75 for both! They now hang in my living room! Thanks for sharing Sara.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Oooohhhhh, it sounds like you have found some great stuff CHEAP Sherree! Go you!!! Yeah, it definitely seems to go in streaks here….I will go for weeks and find nothing and then *boom* I will find a bunch at once…so weird!