Home » Decade » 1960 » Vintage Enid Collins Crosstitch Sparkle Box Bag Purse Score!

January 2, 2014

Vintage Enid Collins Crosstitch Sparkle Box Bag Purse Score!

By Sara In AZ

It seems like as time goes on I shop less and less at antique stores and more and more at thrift shops. Not that bargains can’t be found at antique stores, it just seems  like they are few and far between. One recent shopping trip to an antique store proved me wrong though!

Mike and I recently went to a flea market outside of an antique store and thought while we were there we might as well check out the store itself…..you just never know what you are gonna find!

We had almost made our way through the entire store when we entered one booth and as I was making my way out Mike said, “There is one of those purses.” I was like “What???” not entirely sure what he had found. I spun around to see him pointing at an Enid Collins box purse. I was interested, but hesitant because it ALWAYS seems like when Collins purses are for sale in antique stores the prices are sky-high. I pulled the purse off the top shelf and turned the tag around “$29” it read….but the entire booth was having a 25% off sale too. Hmmmmmmm, I thought “Maybe.” The sales tag also read something like “Original paperwork included” and I thought that meant just the original price tag  still hanging on the outside…but I was wrong. When I opened up the purse it DID have original paperwork inside, which you will see at the end of the post!

Well, since the purse was SO perfect and had all this original documentation I thought it seemed like a pretty good deal and the purse came home with me. Whoooooo-Hoooooooo!!!!

And here it is, my new/old Enid Collins Cross Stitch Sparkle box purse.

100_6002

So cute, and yes – all the jewels are intact!

100_6004

Here is a close-up of the original tag……you can see it was marked down to $17.25. The original price on this purse was $23.00……oddly, I paid just barely over $23.00, after the 25% off discount, including taxes. So I basically paid the original asking price on the purse all these years later! Crazy!!!

100_6006

The other side of the tag.

100_6009

The inside looks pristine…and there is that ‘original paperwork’!

100_6011

I honestly cannot say that I am *that* knowledgeable about Enid Collins purses….I have picked up a few here and there when the price seemed fair….but really, I do not know a super lot about them. From what I have seen though….. I have NEVER actually seen this original paperwork before. It looks like maybe this letter came with the purses ( when you purchased it) so you could send it in with a request for missing jewel pieces if any ever fell off…..or maybe you had to write in to Collins of Texas and say you had missing jewels and they sent this back to you? Hard to know for sure, I think it’s pretty neat anyway! I know you can’t tell from my scan, but it’s definitely on old paper. Has anyone else ever seen one of these before???20

And finally, the original bill of sale. So cool! I’ve actually been through both Kerrville and Fredericksburg Texas…..I wonder if the old buildings these stores were located at still stand? If I ever make it back I will have to try to check it out!

And bless you Mabel for keeping your purse so spectacularly mint!

15 Responses to Vintage Enid Collins Crosstitch Sparkle Box Bag Purse Score!

1. sherree Reply

January 2, 2014 at 10:54 am

Oh Sara what a score!!! Your Hubby is a great guy since he knows just what you are looking for :-) You know I also love Enids purses and have a small collection. I have never seen this one. How awesome that you have all the paperwork. Enjoy!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 2, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks and He is the BEST Sherree…you will have to let me know if you ever come across any original paperwork in your hunt for Enid purses!

January 2, 2014 at 11:47 am

VERY cool! Now, will you carry it around and use it…or display it?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 2, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thank you Eartha…..hmmmmmmmm, good question – I haven’t quite decided yet…..I almost feel guilty if I’d mess up Mabel’s perfect purse!

3. Amy Reply

January 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm

This is an awesome find! I have a few Collins bags, but none of them are as fabulous as this one. :)

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 2, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh gosh, thanks so much Amy…..I really appreciate it!

4. Carrie Reply

January 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Wow, what a fantastic find! I have never seen one with the original paperwork. You definitely got a great deal for that. :)

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 2, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I was just really floored when I saw that original paperwork Carrie…..and I agree, I think it was a very good deal!

5. Jen Reply

January 2, 2014 at 9:39 pm

That is so cool—she’s a beauty! The paperwork is so neat.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 2, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thank you so much Jen, and it is SO cool seeing that old paperwork….I love that!

January 2, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Wow, awesome find! Too funny that you paid nearly the same price all of these years later. Such awesome condition, too. I’ve never seen one of these purses in person so I am a bit jealous!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 4, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Andrea…..and it is SO crazy that I paid the same price ALL these years later…don’t give up hope, I’ll bet you will come across an Enid purse one of these days!

7. Charlotte Reply

January 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Excuse me while I faint. The exquisiteness of this purse has put me in need of smelling salts!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 4, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Oh, thanks so much Charlotte……passing smelling salts! :)

8. Missie Reply

October 12, 2014 at 2:21 am

Hi Sara…

I’m to sure if you are going to like this reply, but this is not an Enid Collins box bag purse. In 1970 she sold her rights to the Tandy Corporation. When the deal was done, her name was removed from the purses, no ec or ec/c on the lower right-hand side of the purses or her name anywhere inside or on the bottom of their box purses. The Tandy Corp. did try to “knock off” her horse logo and came up with their own, a large C and horse, which is located on the lower right hand side, on the front of their purses. Also, on their attached tags, you will see in your picture number 3, “T/C A Tandy Corporation Company” and finally another one of their tag lines they used from Enid “Collins of Texas”, without Enid Collins preceding it. It is truly a stunning purse, a design I’m sure Enid would (wood) have approved.