Home » Decade » 1950 » Viva Las Vegas – Vintage Las Vegas Stardust Hotel Glass……My New Favorite Glass…..and A Dilemma

January 9, 2014

By Sara In AZ

I was hunting the thrift stores last week when this FAB glass popped right off the shelf at me and fell into my arms….well that’s what I told Mike anyway! ha!

Yes a glass from, the now forever gone, Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas.

I was super intrigued by this glass – I thought it had such a cool atomic look.

Here are some pictures around the sides of the glass – a poker chip and roulette wheel here.

Another poker chip and a slot machine here.

And some dice with another poker chip here.

The bottom front of the glass had some very faded gold lettering, but I was able to make out “World Famous Strip Las Vegas, Nevada”

And here we are back at the front again.

I was familiar with the Stardust, as my family (and extended family) had somewhat of an obsession about going to Las Vegas back in the late 1970s and into the 1980s…..as a kid I was bored silly, but of course all the grown-ups had a blast.

I am pretty sure we stayed at the Stardust once, but I did not remember the sign ever looking anything like what was shown on the glass above.

Of course this led me home and straight to the computer where I Googled ‘Stardust Las Vegas’ and got the whole story on the many renovations the Stardust went through. Wikipedia says of the first Stardust roadside sign:

The roadside sign was freestanding with a circle constraining an amorphous cloud of cosmic dust circled by an orbit ring and covered in dancing stars. The hotel’s name was nestled in a galactic cloud.

Ummmmm, wow! All I can say is I wish that they had kept that sign forever and ever!

Here are some different images I found online for the Stardust Hotel…….

Well hello awesome Stardust hotel from the early 1960s – I‘d like to plan a vacation back in time with a stay at this hotel as my first priority! Aku Aku here I come!!!! And you can see right there, the roadside sign has the exact same image as the glass I just found.

Image from kocojim on Flickr.

In 1967 the original Stardust roadside sign was replaced with the ‘falling stars’ sign you see in the postcard below.

Image from kocojim on Flickr.

In 1977 the Stardust abandoned the galactic theme all together and built out the facade , covering it with neon and lights. This is the Stardust I remember from when I was a kid.

Image from sueism1 on Flickr.

In 1991 the hotel changed the amazing retro Googie font from the original sign to a very, very boring plain font. ugh. Why???? Why!

Image from GraphiChris on Flickr.

I searched ALL over the place online thinking surely I would find another, similar, glass just like the one I recently bought……but no…..nothing…..not one single image of this glass anywhere online. A LOT of ashtrays….no glasses at all.

I do believe this is a vintage glass – it just has that feel to me, but I cannot say 100%. Maybe the hotel did some kind of retro re-issue Stardust drinking glass in later years??? But wouldn’t you  think that the ‘falling stars’ sign would also be somewhere on the glass as well if that was the case – as they wanted to get away from the galactic vibe of the 50s and 60s. And, if it was a re-issue it seems like I would have seen at least one image of this glass somewhere along they way by now.

So y’all, what do you think? Do you think this glass is vintage? New? Can you help a girl solve this mystery? Please!!!

And, even though this has absolutely nothing to do with the Stardust Hotel, I had to put this picture in my post too…..because really, who wouldn’t want to stay at *this* Flamingo in Las Vegas.

If only we all could……if only………………………………

Image from kocojim on Flickr.

14 Responses to Viva Las Vegas – Vintage Las Vegas Stardust Hotel Glass……My New Favorite Glass…..and A Dilemma

1. sherree Reply

January 9, 2014 at 9:12 am

What a great find Sara!! And I love that it just fell into your arms 🙂 I would think that glass is vintage since the gold lettering along the bottom is fading? I will keep a lookout for you.
    We also vacationed there over the years (my parents more than me). I was there with them in the summer of 1975 and stayed at the Stardust. I wish I remembered that sign and appreciated it more! I think I remember that Circus Circus still had the huge carousel out front?
    I was also there in 1982 and 83 with my husband. We stayed at another (more economical) hotel. Even then much of Vegas still had the mid century look.
    I was there again in 1997 alone. I had to fly out to accompany my Mom and other family members home because my father had suffered a stroke while vacationing there. At that time Vegas looked completely different, updated for the modern era. Thanks for sharing your find. It brought back many memories for me!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:07 am

Thanks Sherree….and yay! one vote for vintage!!! 🙂 Definitely let me know if you see any of these glasses, or if you find out anything about them.

I definitely prefer the old Vegas too, if only they had been able to retain some of that old vintage charm Vegas would be so, so different now! SO glad you enjoyed the post!

2. KDA Reply

January 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

I remember reading a young adult book in maybe the late 70s or early 90s and for some reason, I think Stardust was a prominent feature/character in the book. I wish I could remember the title of the book.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:08 am

Wow, KDA….sounds like a pretty cool book!

January 9, 2014 at 11:55 am

Wow, that glass is awesome, Sara! I am casting my vote for being vintage – the black and gold design just says vintage to me, especially with it looking like the gold is rubbing off a little bit in a couple of spots.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thanks so much Andrea! 2 votes for vintage!!!! YAY! I totally thought the same thing about the black and gold too….it just seems like the more modern glasses do not utilize the black/gold designs the way vintage glasses did.

4. Joan Reply

January 9, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I am casting my vote for vintage too, although it is just a feeling. But if they had released a recent retro version, I would think it would show up when you searched online. I agree with you about that font change in the 90s, I can’t imagine what they were thinking.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:14 am

YAY….3 votes for vintage! Thanks Joan! And I know – it seems like if there was a recent re-release of glasses something would have shown up by now. Hopefully I’ll figure out the mystery soon!

January 9, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Very cool! It definitely doesn’t look like something modern. That black and gold just seems vintage at least!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:15 am

Thank you Eartha…..looks like we are up to 4 votes for vintage now!

6. Libby Reply

January 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I vote for vintage. If you ever go to Vegas, Fremont Street downtown has tons of antique stores that contain vintage casino glasses, ashtrays, chips, lighters, all kinds of stuff. I can spend HOURS in those places.

Funny story, my husband and I spent New Year’s Eve at the Stardust in 2003? 2005? Just a few years before they tore it down. Wayne Newton was the show and yes it was spectacular. In the front row was an old couple, the guy was in a brown crushed velvet tuxedo and the woman in a floor length sixties ball gown with her hair done up HIGH, 60’s style. They were incredible. And of course Wayne leaned down and kissed her. You’da thought she’d won the lottery. Best New Year’s ever. I miss that place. You’d see the greatest characters walking around that casino…..

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:21 am

Whooo-Hoooo Libby…5 votes for vintage! Thank you!

I actually have been to Vegas a handful of times recently…and I’ve shopped the antique stores…..I know what you mean – I can spend hours in there too! If I ever go back I will have to pay special attention to the glasses.

Wow! Your New Years Eve story sounds amazing! And Wayne Newton too!!! FABULOUS! Gosh, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that show!

7. tammyCA Reply

January 9, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Last year I bought a vintage Stardust hotel matchbook just for the cool design. I’ve only been to Vegas once in the early ’80s…can’t understand why they had to destroy such iconic signs and design. If you watch old Elvis & Frank Sinatra movies set in Vegas you can still see some of that coolness. The ’90s movie, Bugsy shows the very beginnings of Las Vegas in the ’40s and the building of the Flamingo..notorious Bugsy’s girlfriend inspired it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2014 at 2:25 am

Tammy – I think it is really, really sad that Vegas has almost done away with every aspect of the early modest resort days and has now moved onto the mega-resorts. If anything I would have loved to see some of the old along with the new…..I mean can you even imagine if the original Flamingo was there, or the Stardust, people would be clamoring to stay there!