Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Spacious Modern in Ann Arbor, MI

January 26, 2014

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Spacious Modern in Ann Arbor, MI

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is pretty Mid-Century Modern with tons of original details including great windows, storage areas and original kitchen and baths. It was designed by prominent architect Robert Metcalf.

24593967-0

This home is located at 2511 Hawthorn Road in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It has 2,760 square feet and was built in 1954. It has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and is listed for $450,000. It is being offered by Movoto Inc. Realtors. From the listing:

With its original integrity intact, this Mid-Century, designed by Robert Metcalf, is a perfect reflection of yesterday’s professional abode. It features living room with wall of windows and floor-to-ceiling brick fireplace, formal dining room, kitchen with stainless counter and site-built birch cabinets, and spacious first floor master. Recent updates include newer furnace (approx. 4 years old), Replacement windows, and generator. Private backyard with patio has perimeter of trees and is perfect for play!

Let’s take a look!

Bathroom

24593967-15

Exterior of Home and Yard

24593967-28

24593967-16

24593967-26

Now comes the part of the post where I scream, “I love it!” What about you, readers? What do you like or “love!” about this home?

Thanks to Ruth for sending this one our way! And if  you want to tour another beautiful home, see Robert Metcalf’s personal home here.

9 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Spacious Modern in Ann Arbor, MI

1. thelmaritter Reply

January 26, 2014 at 8:39 am

Somehow the staircase made me think of the house in “a Sumner place” with Sandra Dee. I love it!

2. Pat in Pa Reply

January 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

What a beauty!! I love the big window in the kitchen over the sink, and the pass-through helps not to cut the entire room off from the breakfast nook. The built-ins are great, too.
    A shame it’s north…with all this snow and cold, I’m ready for a warmer area 😉

3. Joyce Wagner Reply

January 26, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful home!!! Too bad it’s in MI! I’ve had enough snow (I live in MI). Also, did anyone else notice the entry way all by the red door, that the wood doesn’t match? It looks like maybe there used to a window or aquarium or something there. Just an observation. But I still loved the house!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

January 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

That kitchen is gorgeous and I LOVE all that wood! I SO wish it were here in AZ!!!!!!!! FAB house!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 26, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Uhhhh-I have a simple solution, Sara! Move to MI! :p

5. Seamus Reply

January 26, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I’d never heard of him, but looked him up because that house is absolutely beautiful. I love his philosophy and ideas. It really does look like a lovely home to comfortably live in rather than one to show off to guests. And it has all the practical things so many architects forget when they’re trying so hard to be stylish or conceptual: nice kitchen layout you can easily cook in with (with no super-glossy or all-white surfaces to magnify every speck of dirt), easy-to-clean bathrooms, well-placed electrical outlets, no super-long hallways you have to pace through (and pay to heat/cool) when going through the house… You can tell he actually was thinking about living in the house and not just designing somewhere to expound his architectural thesis.

January 27, 2014 at 12:27 am

Oh my goodness, this house is a stunner! Wouldn’t change a thing!

7. Pam Lappin Reply

January 27, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Love it as well. Especially that entry way and living room.

8. kristin Reply

February 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm

OOoooh I love this house. And I know appliances break, but I get personally offended when people use black appliances. I hate them.