Home » Decade » 1960 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Original Charmer in Nashville, Tennessee

January 5, 2014

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Original Charmer in Nashville, Tennessee

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is near and dear to my heart because it’s in my neighborhood and I know that well, these homes are becoming harder and harder to find. In fact, I’m going to put out a great big plea to encourage some wonderful buyer to swoop in and preserve this one. You dig? Totally. I’m telling you that if my husband and I were still on the hunt, I’d be including a photo of me dancing the  “we found THE  house!” jig in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Thanks to Shawn for sending this listing along and to Stacy for supplying me with extra photos.

1504654_0

This home is located at 2455 Eastland Avenue in Nashville, Tennessee. It was built in 1960 and has 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths and is 1,390 square feet. It’s priced at $175,000 and is being offered by Reliant Realty. From the listing:

INVESTOR SPECIAL IN THE HEART OF EAST NASHVILLE! Great bones, hardwoods, almost an acre,and convert the two car garage into living space to have over 2000 square feet of living space.

Oh y’all know how I hate to hear the terms “investor special” and “great bones”. I’m out to prove that this place is more of a gem of a classic home that deserves a family to move right in and love it up good. Let’s go see!

Living Room & Dining Room

1504654_2

Kitchen and Den

1504654_3

1504654_5

Original Tile Bathroom

1504654_4

Patio and Pergola

1504654_6

Okay, so the listing didn’t show many photos but the homeowner was sweet enough to send along some snapshots of more of the original features left in this home. Check these out!

If you know me, you know I’m going to point out this amazing Western light first:

received_m_mid_1388440059896_4fb3fd1bcfc16de685_1

Here are some of the other vintage lights in the home:

received_m_mid_1388440116487_9b277f59c7b6b5bd63_3

received_m_mid_1388440088012_5e3f623ca8e16a3f90_3

And check out the bathroom mirror inset in tile and the sweet wide vanity:

received_m_mid_1388440088012_5e3f623ca8e16a3f90_5

And this great old Nutone built-in clock. Oftentimes, these came complete with doorbells and this one just might.

received_m_mid_1388440059896_4fb3fd1bcfc16de685_3

Look at the beautiful woodwork on the Living Room fireplace. I love some good scallop trim and both the paneling and the brick look brand new!

received_m_mid_1388440116487_9b277f59c7b6b5bd63_5

Did I mention that it even has a knotty pine garage? Be still my knotty pine lovin’ heart!

received_m_mid_1388440021117_e139b47e8851931502_1

received_m_mid_1388440021117_e139b47e8851931502_0

That’s the first knotty pine garage that I’ve ever come across and look at that sweet avocado phone!

I don’t know about you but I think that this home shines like a brand new copper penny and should give many more decades of service. Admittedly, I’m a sucker for an aqua kitchen too.

What do you all think of this home, readers? Do you agree with me in that it should be referred to with less “good bones” and more “dream home”?

13 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Original Charmer in Nashville, Tennessee

1. sherree Reply

January 5, 2014 at 9:08 am

Eartha I love this house. 2 fireplaces and so much charm in a little package. I love the knotty pine garage; it could be made into a wonderful room with all those cabinets and built ins! And with an acre of land another detached garage could be built if needed. I love the aqua and knotty pine together in that kitchen. What a great space for eating in front of that 2nd fireplace. And the bathroom looks amazing and in great shape. Do what you can to make sure no one ruins this house with an “update” 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

2. Katie Reply

January 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

If only I had $175,000 and were moving to TN. *sigh*

3. Kirk Williams Reply

January 5, 2014 at 9:56 am

C’mon potential buyers! Think outside the Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel design box. You don’t have to go completely retro (even though that would be awesome!). Just leaf through a few issues of Southern Living magazine and you’ll find new design inspiration that will fit perfectly into this unaltered slice of American history and home-building!

• Betty Crafter Reply

January 5, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Kirk, I like the way you think! You’re so right – that gorgeous knotty pine can lend itself so well to some wonderful decor styles.

4. Shawn Norton Reply

January 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Seriously y’all. Somebody go get her!
    I will be so sad if something bad happens to her. I would so buy it for a rental, but I’m not done with my own house yet.
    It’s so gorgeous and so original!!

5. Betty Crafter Reply

January 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Eartha, I love love LOVE this home! It reminds me so much of my own – dripping with shiny knotty pine, turquoise counters in the kitchen…also, that bathroom is divine!
    I sure hope someone snatches this beauty up! I also wish I knew someone house hunting in Nashville right now!

6. dkzody Reply

January 5, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Oh, those black appliances need to be gone. One whole acre! Wow. That’s a lot of room to set up some urban farming, too.

January 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Gorgeous! So much wood everywhere, love! And on an acre, too, what a bonus!

8. Sara In AZ Reply

January 5, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Oh wow…..do I need to *beg* Mike to move to Nashville like ASAP!? This house is amazeballs right down to those fabulous original lights! You have no idea how much I hope and pray this house will find the perfect owner….someone who can love all of that spectacular vintage-ness just the way it is!

9. Dee Reply

January 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Why doesn’t HGTV do a “save this MCM house” rather than a “let’s update this house and tear out the beautiful pink bathrooms” show? I think we all are just ahead of the times just as the preservationists in the 1960s and 70s realized the importance of saving the Victorians and bungalows. We once lived in a FLW inspired Usonian with knotty pine and a three-sided fireplace. I loved that house! It had the most beautiful green-tiled bathroom!

10. Pat in Pa Reply

January 5, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Ohhh…I see poodle wallpaper in that bathroom….

11. rae Reply

January 7, 2014 at 12:16 am

that aqua kitchen! be still my heart!

12. Jen Reply

January 7, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Ohhh, if only we were moving to Nashville! That’s just about perfect. The bath and its sconces are SO cute—and the Nutone! Be still my heart! Plus you’d have the most stylishly organized garage in town. 🙂