Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Pastel and Pretty in Auburn, ME

January 12, 2014

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Pastel and Pretty in Auburn, ME

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is a pastel dream. It has it all: original kitchen and baths and even a knotty pine basement with built-in bar and vintage linoleum. It’s a multi-level home and the color combos are to die for, let me tell you! From exterior to interior it reminds me of one of those beautiful vintage Marx dollhouses. Thanks to Larry for sending this one in for us!

This home is located at 210 Gamage Avenue in Auburn, Maine. It has 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths and 2,025 square feet. The home was built in 1958 and is offered by Keller Williams. From the listing:

You simply must make an appointment to see this quality built multi-level home located in a lovely area of Auburn. The home offers a front brick facade, covered front entry and walk-in entry to the garage. The spacious front living room displays a beautiful wall of brick fireplace and a large window to the front of the home. The kitchen offers oodles of cabinets and an eating area.

The 2nd level consists of 4 good sized bedrooms and 2 full baths (1 which is located in the master bedroom).They all have beautiful hardwood floors and painted walls. There is also access to the attic space through one of the front bedrooms. As you travel down to the lower level you will find a separate space which would make a great computer area and a separate laundry room.

The basement family room is knotty pine paneled with a “fun” bar area and a walk-out door to the back circled patio area which overlooks the private backyard. There is also a 1/2 bath located in this space. The 2 car garage is a bonus!

Let’s take a look inside!

Living Room

1381423912642__kwipfn17_17_ 1381423912467__kwipfn14_14_

Do you see a life-sized Marx dollhouse like I do? I swear, I’d buy this house and match the paint colors exactly and just apply new coats to freshen things up. The current color combos are SO perfect. This house is about as fifties as you can get! I can’t decide if I love the kitchen or the bathrooms more.  Or wait…maybe it’s the flooring in the basement.

Dish! What do you all think of this pastel and pretty home?

16 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Pastel and Pretty in Auburn, ME

1. Lacey Reply

January 12, 2014 at 8:47 am

Oh my goodness! That kitchen – it’s so perfect, it almost doesn’t even look real. And I love all of the flooring in the different rooms. I would have loved to see how this house was originally furnished.

2. Katie Reply

January 12, 2014 at 9:15 am

I’m always so happy to know that houses like this one still exist. I just watched an episode of House Hunters where the couple saw and all-original house with pink tile bathroom and referred to it as a “gut job.”

I hope this house finds some really nice people. 🙂

3. Carrie Reply

January 12, 2014 at 9:43 am

This is my dream basement! I absolutely love the bar and could see myself serving drinks, listening to records and having many dance parties in it! 😉

4. Ann Kennedy Reply

January 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

Fabulous kitchen. Just amazing and worth preserving.

January 12, 2014 at 11:41 am

OMG, the kitchen and those bathrooms! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

6. Blue Reply

January 12, 2014 at 11:59 am

This is too funny. My mom just sent me this link… I live right around the corner from this funky house. There are several mid-century modern homes in this area (quite a few that have been kept original). I pass this house daily and never realized how cool the interior was. A delight to see it here!

7. Claudia Reply

January 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I love love love the lamps in the kitchen! I didn’t know my old dollhouse was called a “Marx,” but I remember it well — I think my dad cut his finger putting it together.

I found a dollhouse that looks a bit like this house:

8. dkzody Reply

January 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm

The kitchen is wonderful, and with a dishwasher, would be perfect. Do you think you could find a pink refrigerator for it? I remember a story, in a Family Circle magazine from the 50s, about a pink refrigerator. Always wanted one after reading that story. I use the word, reading, very loosely, as I was only 6 or 7 when seeing the article. My mother read it to me because I was fascinated by the picture of a pink refrigerator.

9. Pat in Pa Reply

January 12, 2014 at 2:13 pm

One of the best parts of this house is the baseboard heat…I loathe hot air heating, although I realize in some areas that heat vents are used for A/C also. Love the kitchen and the basement, and also the separate entrance to the garage…wondering if the entry area has a door into the garage…very ideal if so!

• Larry Reply

February 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm

There isn’t an entry from the garage to the foyer….the entrance is toward the back of the garage, off from the kitchen.

10. tammyCA Reply

January 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This house is huge & wow, would love to have all that nature in my backyard. There’s lots of original features here. I love the ’50s pastel colors…I’d just freshen up the same color paints and put up colorful vintage curtains…replace the old carpet & move right in. It’s also so nice to see original interior doors…can’t understand why people take out good solid doors for the cheap hollow core ones (like they did in my house).

11. Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Oh that kitchen…..those bathrooms…..ALL that KP……totally dreamy!

12. Melinda Reply

January 15, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I could not possibly be more in love with that kitchen! Do you think the flooring is linoleum or could it be terrazzo?

• Larry Reply

February 3, 2014 at 11:29 pm

The floors are linoleum.

13. Anonymous Reply

January 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm

THE STAIRS! THE STAIRS! I have to have them!!