Home » Decade » 1950 » Some Good Luck for a Family Heirloom!

February 19, 2014

Some Good Luck for a Family Heirloom!

by Andrea

Some of you long time NPR readers may recall my china cabinet, which I have shown before:

20140218_161449

This china cabinet belonged to my grandmother, and it is one of my favourite pieces of furniture.

20140218_161459

However, when my mom gave it to me, it had a broken handle.  When I first got it, I tried for quite some time to find a handle to replace the broken one, but with no luck.  The center to center on the screw holes is a bit unusual, so I could never find any the right size.  I put the search on the backburner.

20140218_161525

Fast forward to today – my hubby was shopping online for handles as we intend to undo the 90’s kitchen renovation that was done to our kitchen soon, and he came across these ones on Etsy which happened to be the right size!

20140218_162416

They arrived in the mail today and Yay!  They aren’t a 100% match, but they are about an 80% match and they look far better than the broken one.  Plus, I have a spare just in case.

20140218_162438

Lookin’ good with new handles!

Along the same topic of handles …

20140218_162942

We came across these ones at the Habitat For Humanity ReStore in the town next to ours.  I was totally enamored with these handles, so I had to snap them up.  Unfortunately there was only 9 of them (and we need a whopping 48 for our kitchen!), so they won’t work for that, but they will work great to replace the blah 90’s ones on the built-in dresser in my room.  And I only paid $2 for all 9 of them.  Score!

Any of you have any good luck with finds lately?

8 Responses to Some Good Luck for a Family Heirloom!

1. Janice Reply

February 19, 2014 at 11:23 am

Nice score on finding the replacement handles for your heirloom china cabinet. Sometimes the right things will come to us if we’re just patient….which I rarely am. 🙂

• Andrea Reply

February 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

You are right, Janice, patience is key. Too bad it’s not my strong suit LOL

2. Sara In AZ Reply

February 19, 2014 at 11:56 am

Whooooo to the Hooooo that you found such a great match for the handles on your cabinet – I think it looks just FAB!

And total score on those handles from ReStore – I just love that place!!!

• Andrea Reply

February 19, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thanks, Sara! I am so happy there’s a ReStore close to me now – I used to have to drive an hour to get to one!

3. Joan Reply

February 19, 2014 at 6:15 pm

What a great cabinet. I love the stencils and all the handles, original and replacement.

• Andrea Reply

February 19, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Thanks, Joan! 🙂

4. Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Reply

February 21, 2014 at 3:27 pm

We were trying in vain to get some boomerang shaped handles to match what we have on our Youngstown Cabinets in the Hacienda Kitchen. The only place I’ve seen them is someone selling them for $25 EACH on eBay and I could not bring myself to do that.

Then! I saw a cool metal cabinet for sale with the same shaped handles – not Youngstown but close enough. Got the cabinet, removed the handles, and voila! They’re now in our kitchen! I plan on replacing the handles on the cabinet with some plain arched chrome ones we used elsewhere in the laundry nook – those were only $1.89 at Lowes.

Can’t wait ’til our kitchen is retro redone!

Mod B

• Andrea Reply

February 21, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Smart buy, Mod B! Not only did you get your handles, you got another piece of furniture that i am sure is great!