Home » Decade » 1970 » Storage Solutions For The Overstuffed Home – Better Homes and Gardens March 1973

February 26, 2014

By Andrea

Between having a home based business, a three year old and an 18 year old, my 1096 sq ft house could probably be described as over stuffed! However, Better Homes and Gardens is here with some awesome mid-century storage ideas!

wpid-storage1-2.jpg

Oooh, this is storage I would definitely like to build! I especially love view 3, that wall of storage is fantastic!

wpid-storage3-4.jpg

Madly in love with the built-ins and pull out desk in view 11. Would be fantastic for an office area!

wpid-storage5-6.jpg

I gotta admit, while the kitchen storage ideas here are good, I am really loving all of the dishware in this picture. The spice rack really takes me back to my childhood – I remember my mom having one just like that, but in mustard yellow!

wpid-storage7-8.jpg

Can I have thos sewing room, please? Mine is nowhere near this organized! Loving the bright and cheerful colours, too.

wpid-storage9-10.jpg

This kid’s room is great!   Tons of storage and room to play. Also love that this room would be great for a boy or a girl – so cheerful!

8 Responses to Storage Solutions For The Overstuffed Home – Better Homes and Gardens March 1973

1. Joan Reply

February 26, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi Andrea, I love that plastic [?] tower holding the dishware to the left of the chrome and glass shelves in the third photo, do you mind posting the product info?

• Andrea Reply

February 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm

No problem at all, Joan!

From the mag:
      “Combo” is a system of round stacking elements made of durable plastic. Available in two different heights so you can stack them high or low. Removable sliding doors are provided to conceal storage within: Beylerian, Ltd.

Good luck seeking them out!

2. Kathryn Reply

February 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Oh, Lord–I remember that issue!

• Andrea Reply

February 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I hope you enjoyed the walk down memory lane, Kathryn 🙂

3. Jen Reply

February 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm

That headboard-dresser-bookshelf is brilliant! Also, it is comforting to see that we’re not the only generation with a lot of stuff in our houses (and I’m big on regularly culling things). Really, though, these are so everyday-useful. Neat!

• Andrea Reply

February 27, 2014 at 11:30 am

If I didn’t have such an oddly shaped bedroom, I would be tempted to try that myself, as it sure provides a ton of storage! I am glad you enjoyed it!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

February 26, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Oh my gosh….yes…..that spice rack……I pinned that yellow one I found on ebay that looked just like it….so cool your Mom had that!

• Andrea Reply

February 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

I remember it well from my childhood! She had it for a long time.