Home » Decade » 1970 » Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

February 5, 2014

Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

by Andrea

This has been a brutal winter for most of North America – cold, tonnes of snow and general awful weather.  I am ready to escape it, at least in my mind, with a little help from the June 5, 1979 edition of Family Circle.

hawaii79-1

*sigh* Just looking at the cover makes me want to take another trip to Hawaii – especially since it’s about -25 deg C outside here at the moment.

hawaii79-2

Aren’t these dresses so tropical and pretty?  I would wear the heck out of the blue and white floral one, so gorgeous!

hawaii79-3

Totally lovin’ the style of the white floral one on this page, too.  Would be such an effortless style for summer!

hawaii79-4

Now on to a bit more crafting eye candy – Hawaiian quilts.  Such a lovely quilting style, with such intricate stitchwork – it’s amazing!

hawaii79-5

Loving these pillows – if you have any type of Tiki themed room in your house, Hawaiian pillows like these would be an awesome accent.

hawaii79-6ahawaii79-6b

And now we’ve got some tropical crafting ideas for the home crafter.  I love the rainbow afghan, so cheerful!

I hope you’ve enjoyed our sewing and crafting trip to 1979 Hawaii – and hopefully it warmed you up, if only for a bit!

10 Responses to Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

1. Sara In AZ Reply

February 5, 2014 at 11:33 am

Lucky you to have made it to Hawaii….it’s my dream to go there one day! Love all of those dresses….hope your temps take a turn for the better SOON….I don’t know how y’all do it up there!!!

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I loved it there, Sara – I’d love to go back! We wear a lot of layers, LOL! That being said, I had a really hard time with the heat when I was in Phoenix – totally not something I am used to at all!

February 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Love those quilts and pillows! Yeah, I could take a trip to Hawaii myself right now. We aren’t as cold as you are, but I am SO sick of snow!

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm

You and me both! We’ve had a record year for snow, most snowfall here since 1942 – ugh!

3. Joan Reply

February 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love Hawaiian quilts too. And I have had quite enough winter. We are having a lovely sleet storm today, but I should be glad, since the rest of the state is getting many inches of snow. I actually got to go to Hawaii again this November, I put some pics up on my “Vintage Beach Party” Pinterest board. Maybe I will do some more after I finish my boring invoicing.

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Oooh, a Vintage Beach Party Pinterest board?? That sounds fantastic! Care to share a link, I’d love to see it!

4. dkzody Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

1979 was a very good year. All of the 70s decade was good. We won’t talk about the 80s, though.

• Andrea Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

Agreed. Although I will admit to a major love for 80’s New Wave music!

5. Lassie Reply

February 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

7″ of snow fell today, an inch per hour 🙁 and 8 degrees F. forecast for tonight 🙁 And yesterday was such a pretty, brisk winter’s day, downright nice!…..I LOVE those beautiful dresses, note that they are to be made using Vogue patterns! Maybe women had more time in the past. I haven’t seen sewing patterns advertised in years.

• Andrea Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:45 am

Ugh, that is a LOT of snow, Lassie! I suspect it was a combo of perhaps more time and that sewing was more economical back in the day. You really used to be able to save a lot of money sewing your own clothes.