Home » Decade » 1970 » Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

February 5, 2014

Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

by Andrea

This has been a brutal winter for most of North America – cold, tonnes of snow and general awful weather.  I am ready to escape it, at least in my mind, with a little help from the June 5, 1979 edition of Family Circle.

*sigh* Just looking at the cover makes me want to take another trip to Hawaii – especially since it’s about -25 deg C outside here at the moment.

Aren’t these dresses so tropical and pretty?  I would wear the heck out of the blue and white floral one, so gorgeous!

Totally lovin’ the style of the white floral one on this page, too.  Would be such an effortless style for summer!

Now on to a bit more crafting eye candy – Hawaiian quilts.  Such a lovely quilting style, with such intricate stitchwork – it’s amazing!

Loving these pillows – if you have any type of Tiki themed room in your house, Hawaiian pillows like these would be an awesome accent.

And now we’ve got some tropical crafting ideas for the home crafter.  I love the rainbow afghan, so cheerful!

I hope you’ve enjoyed our sewing and crafting trip to 1979 Hawaii – and hopefully it warmed you up, if only for a bit!

10 Responses to Thinking Hawaii – 1979 Style

1. Sara In AZ Reply

February 5, 2014 at 11:33 am

Lucky you to have made it to Hawaii….it’s my dream to go there one day! Love all of those dresses….hope your temps take a turn for the better SOON….I don’t know how y’all do it up there!!!

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I loved it there, Sara – I’d love to go back! We wear a lot of layers, LOL! That being said, I had a really hard time with the heat when I was in Phoenix – totally not something I am used to at all!

February 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Love those quilts and pillows! Yeah, I could take a trip to Hawaii myself right now. We aren’t as cold as you are, but I am SO sick of snow!

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm

You and me both! We’ve had a record year for snow, most snowfall here since 1942 – ugh!

3. Joan Reply

February 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love Hawaiian quilts too. And I have had quite enough winter. We are having a lovely sleet storm today, but I should be glad, since the rest of the state is getting many inches of snow. I actually got to go to Hawaii again this November, I put some pics up on my “Vintage Beach Party” Pinterest board. Maybe I will do some more after I finish my boring invoicing.

• Andrea Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Oooh, a Vintage Beach Party Pinterest board?? That sounds fantastic! Care to share a link, I’d love to see it!

4. dkzody Reply

February 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

1979 was a very good year. All of the 70s decade was good. We won’t talk about the 80s, though.

• Andrea Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 am

Agreed. Although I will admit to a major love for 80’s New Wave music!

5. Lassie Reply

February 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

7″ of snow fell today, an inch per hour 🙁 and 8 degrees F. forecast for tonight 🙁 And yesterday was such a pretty, brisk winter’s day, downright nice!…..I LOVE those beautiful dresses, note that they are to be made using Vogue patterns! Maybe women had more time in the past. I haven’t seen sewing patterns advertised in years.

• Andrea Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:45 am

Ugh, that is a LOT of snow, Lassie! I suspect it was a combo of perhaps more time and that sewing was more economical back in the day. You really used to be able to save a lot of money sewing your own clothes.