Home » Decade » 1950 » Thrift Store Score–Vintage Tiki Palm Tree Drinking Glasses!

February 27, 2014

Thrift Store Score–Vintage Tiki Palm Tree Drinking Glasses!

By Sara In AZ

Sooooo, I was cruising the thrift store the other day and I ALWAYS have to check out the drinking glass section….you just never know what you are gonna find! I did not see a thing  so I wound my way through the store and eventually made my way to the back of the store where they have miscellaneous items bagged up in clear plastic bags. Usually it’s office supplies bagged up like paper clips and staples and such….sometimes they have kitchen utensils…sometimes gift wrap….the little things that would usually get lost. Just random miscellaneous stuff……..and mostly I just cruise right on by.

Today they had glasses bagged up.

I was kinda surprised as I had never seen drinking glasses bagged up for sale before – it caused me to do a double take and at first I thought they HAD to be candle holders or something like that. But no, upon closer inspection I found that they were actually drinking glasses and vintage glasses  to boot!

And here is the haul…seriously I am stunned that they had THAT many glasses bagged up. SO wild!

Here are the lowball tumbler glasses. They had these bagged up 3 each to a bag.

The paint appears to be all hand painted.

I know it is SUPER hard to tell here but all of the tumblers are marked with the ‘F’ in a shield mark for Federal Glass.

All 5 shot glasses were in another bag.

The shot glasses all have the Libby glass mark.

And we can’t forget the cocktail/martini glasses…these are my faves! These glasses had no mark on them at all.

I bought everything they had that day except for one set of 3 tumbler/lowball glasses that had the paint all worn off – I guess those were the glasses they used!

I am thinking maybe this came as one big set…esp. since all the palm tree images match on all of the glasses…..and maybe whatever company put these out for sale bought different glass blanks from various manufacturers and then painted their own designs in-house in preparation for final sale to the public.

I’ve seen other painted palm tree glasses before…but never ones quite like these. Has anyone else seen these before?

12 Responses to Thrift Store Score–Vintage Tiki Palm Tree Drinking Glasses!

1. Lassie Reply

February 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

They are kind of pretty. (There are only the two of us here now, so though I would also be tempted to bring something like this home, I’d have to resist.) I think the person who owned all these passed away, and whoever cleaned out their house simply bagged them up and gave them to the thrift store, just to be rid of them.

February 27, 2014 at 11:35 am

Never seen these before – great score though! I would agree with your glass blank theory as well.

3. dkzody Reply

February 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm

One just never knows what they will find, do they? I had almost run out of a Libby glass I bought almost 40 years ago when we first got married. All of a sudden, Salvation Army Thrift had 6 of the wine glasses. Took those right home. Another day, there was about 12 of the large tumblers, I took 6 of those. Then, the other day, all by itself sat one of the small tumblers. I grabbed it to go with the ONE I have left from my original set. My husband commented that all of these look as though they were never used. You just have to keep your eyes open to the wonders waiting for you at the Thrift Store.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 28, 2014 at 1:33 am

Oh my gosh dkzody….sounds like the god’s of thrift were watching over you and sent you some glasses just as you needed them – so cool!

4. sherree Reply

February 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Oh Sara, what a score! Those are so cool!!!! Do you have a Tiki themed display or room? Or will you just use them in the summer months? I never seem to find much tropical/ tiki themed items 🙁

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 28, 2014 at 1:36 am

Thanks Sherree! No, sadly I do not have a tiki theme room yet….but it’s my dream to have one someday! And I agree with Jen (below) – we’ll use these year round!

5. Jen Reply

February 27, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Wow, those are really fun! That’s a great find—especially since you have found them all together. Your glass blank idea sounds about right to me as well.

And in response to sherree’s query (hope no one minds)—I’d use them in winter, too. That’s when we so often NEED a reminder of the tropics! 😉

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 28, 2014 at 1:38 am

Thank you very much Jen! And I know – I could not believe that I found SO many together like that….crazy!!!

6. Maureen Reply

February 28, 2014 at 4:17 pm

What a great find!! I love all things tiki-and yes, I do use tiki glasses in the winter. We have some really fun tiki glasses from Disneyland, not vintage-but I love to use them. We have a carport, and in the summer we create a little tiki area, I have some retro looking patio furniture, we put up tiki lights, some signs-and we sit outside and play Polynesian music and sip our drinks!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Maureen! And oh my gosh…..your place sounds like “the place” for some good old summer tiki fun….if you were my neighbor I’d probably be over there every night! 🙂