Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Retro 50s 60s Flamingo and Swan Chenille Rug…..and A Super Amaze-Balls Poodle Bathroom Rug!

February 6, 2014

By Sara In AZ

Y’all know I love me some kitsch, and vintage rugs are no exception! I just had to share some of my favorite vintage rugs with you all.

This first rug is actually the bathroom rug for our master bath and we use it each and every day. I love this rug SO much….most especially for the lovely pink swan and pink accent border!

Mike and I found these chenille flamingo rugs a long time ago at a (now closed) antique store in Denver. We were there visiting family and made it a point to check out a few antique stores while we were there. These flamingo rugs were tossed into a pile with other material and textile type goods so I almost missed them.

As soon as I saw the images on the rugs I knew I HAD to get them!

I was stunned that they still had the original tags on them. The tags are different on each of the rugs – here is a picture of each of them.

And this is the tag on the other rug.

The back of the tag.

And finally…..my (not JUST amaze-balls, but……) SUPER amaze-balls vintage poodle rug! ha! Seriously though, I love this rug to bits and pieces.

Mike found this for me on eBay a while back and just gave to it me for a gift this past Christmas. Needless to say I was thrilled beyond words!

Really – could the images of the poodles ‘cleaning up’ be any more adorable?! That girl poodle in the corset kills me!!!

Here is a picture of the back of the rug – and the best part is that it STILL retains all of the original tags too!

A close up of the tags – you can see it was made in Belgium and was sold through Bucilla.

A view of the original price tag…I wish I knew how much it cost originally – maybe that first number is a 2 or 3???

Just for kicks I looked up Rosenbaum Company and it appears they were a popular department store in Pittsburg that went out of business a very long time ago. This site Life In Western Pennsylvania talks a bit about the store.

Well, that wraps it up for me! Does anyone else have a penchant for kitschy bathroom rugs? I’d love to hear from ya!

10 Responses to Vintage Retro 50s 60s Flamingo and Swan Chenille Rug…..and A Super Amaze-Balls Poodle Bathroom Rug!

1. CAT Reply

February 6, 2014 at 10:20 am

I seriously need that pink chenille flamingo rug for my kitchen, to go with my pink flamingo wallpaper!!!! LOVE it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 6, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Oh my gosh – yes that rug would look FAB with your flamingo wallpaper wouldn’t it…..wow, that REALLY was amazing wallpaper you had!

February 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

So cute! I don’t think I’ve come across a vintage bathroom rug before, but now I am going to start looking!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 6, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Totally start looking Andrea….I bet one will pop up faster than you think!

3. Janice Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

I’m sad to say I don’t have a vintage bathroom rug, but I would do anything to have that pink swan rug for my pink bathroom! I get first dibs if you ever decide to part with it….which I know you won’t! You’ve got some nice ones and a very sweet hubby for finding you the poodle rug!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 6, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Hmmmmmmm, you’d do ANYTHING Janice!? I will have to think about that one! 😉 And yes, you can totally have first dibs. 🙂 Totally jealous that you have a pink bathroom….I SO hope to have one of my own someday……someday!

4. Jen Reply

February 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm

The flamingos and the poodles…both adorable, but especially the preening poodles! That’s not even my bathroom COLOUR but I love it! Just great finds!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

Thanks so much Jen…..and I know, those preening poodles just make me giggle every time I see them!

February 7, 2014 at 10:00 am

Oooooh! The one with the poodles!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! The poodles Eartha……the poodles!!!