Home » Decade » 1960 » New Cushions For Our Dreamy Vintage Frieze 60s Sectional Couch

March 20, 2014

New Cushions For Our Dreamy Vintage Frieze 60s Sectional Couch

By Sara In AZ

Ok, so…..we all saw my dream sectional couch last week. The couch itself was pristine, nary a loose thread or tear anywhere to be found. There was just one little nasty problem left to deal with.

The seat cushions were COMPLETELY horrible! eeps!

When you went to sit down on the couch you’d hear this loud ‘cruuunnnnnch’ and well, that’s not really what you want to hear when you just sit down and are trying to relax.

These were the original latex rubber cushions and they were REALLY starting to get very dry and powdery.

We knew we could not use the couch with such bad cushions, so we removed all of the old cushions (luckily there were zippers in the covers) as best we could before they crumbled to their death and made templates out of cardboard of the shapes we needed for the replacements.

Here is a picture of the fabric covers sans the cushions. Also, I totally and completely forgot to show y’all last week the cool curved sides on the sectional! Love that!!!

We took the cardboard templates down to Mesa Sales, a local store that has everything from fabric to flooring.

As you can see from my picture they have a HUGE selection of different foam cushions to choose from.

We measured our old cushions and they were 4 inches, so we knew what size we’d need at least! The staff helped us choose an appropriate cushion replacement equivalent to what the old cushion would have been like when it was new. It came down to 2 different variables – softer or more firm cushions. In the end we decided on more firm as we thought it would hold up better over time.

Mesa Sales cut all 3 of the cushions we needed, after we picked our foam,  right there on the spot for us at no additional charge! Whoo!

We also bought some batting material from them as well as spray adhesive. We took all of the foam cushions outside and started attaching the batting. You don’t necessarily HAVE to add batting if you don’t want to go that extra step…..it just softens the foam up a bit and kind of fills out the cushion a bit more.

We are getting close…………………..

I’d have to say inserting the new cushions back into the covers was probably the hardest part of the whole job!

And voila, we can actually sit on our new/old couch!

Martini anyone?

10 Responses to New Cushions For Our Dreamy Vintage Frieze 60s Sectional Couch

March 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

Ooh, nice that your original cushions had zippers to make replacing the foam so easy (or easier, anyway, LOL, I know how hard it is to fight with those foam pieces!). Smart choice on going with the batting, too, it always fills out the cushion just a little more nicely!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 21, 2014 at 11:33 am

I was SO happy those zippers were there Andrea….you have no idea!!! :)

2. Robyn Belsvik Reply

March 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I adore old furniture but am now terrified of bringing home a piece that might had bedbugs! Does anyone else worry about that and how do you make sure the piece is “critter” free?

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 21, 2014 at 11:37 am

Robyn- I think that bedbugs are always a possibility, esp. if you are picking up something from a thrift store and have no idea of the history……but in this case I was able to pick it up from the original owners home and I could tell it was a VERY clean place.

If you are buying an upholstered piece just look under all the cushions and in the crevices under the cushions….that is where the bedbugs would be and they are about the size of an apple seed so you should be able to see them straight away!

3. tammyCA Reply

March 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Good that you were able to make templates before they crumbled. The batting is necessary to keep the fabric from rubbing against the foam (something I remembered from a class). You know how the upholsterers stuff the cushions in? With a vacuum/suction thing and then it “springs” into shape..no wrestling for them.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

We were SO worried that in removing the original cushions they would just fall to pieces Tammy….thank goodness that did not happen!

I am glad we added the batting…..I wonder why they did not have batting on the original cushions??? Maybe they just didn’t do batting back in the day.

I sure wish we would have had that vacuum suctions thing – it would have made out lives a WHOLE lot easier!!! :)

4. dan's wife Reply

March 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Brilliant. The things I am learning! I love the lines on that piece, good on you for re-homing it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thanks so much dan’s wife…we just love our new/old couch to bits!!!

5. Jill Reply

June 26, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I am dealing with the exact same thing right now. I’ve had new seat cushions made for my grandparents 60s sectional. The old ones were exactly how you described – and they smelled weird. My main concern is that the rest of the sofa may contains the same foam (it’s currently in my dad’s garage) and I’m guessing it won’t be cheap to replace that. How did the rest of the foam in the sofa fare?

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 27, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Jill……yes, you are right about the weird smell too….. :)

If you are talking about the seat back area and the padded part under where the cushions sit – those were not padded with the foam cushion type stuff….at least not on our couch. Those sections do not have that same crunchy weird feel/smell….so we are assuming those are just padded with regular cotton type batting….or something similar that does not deteriorate over time.

I am hoping that the other sections of your couch are not crunchy either…otherwise you’d have to take the entire thing to a pro and have it reupholstered with new ‘insides’. You couch sounds amazing, let me know what happens!