Home » Decade » 1960 » Sweet Little 1960s Cottage/Colonial Time Capsule House Up For Sale

March 6, 2014

Sweet Little 1960s Cottage/Colonial Time Capsule House Up For Sale

By Sara In AZ

Well, I should say this house WAS up for sale. This was one Mike and I went through a while back and I did like the house…..but the layout was just all wrong for us…..plus I REALLY want a ranch! I thought y’all might like to see this house anyways – it has some great original features!

Don’t you all think this house looks like it came right off the set of ‘Leave It To Beaver’ or something!? SO adorable!

100_4515

This is the entry, I am not sure if that wallpaper is original.

100_4462

I think this was the original entry light?

100_4459

These were the ‘formal’ living and dining areas right off the entry.

100_4463

Here is the FAB kitchen!

100_4467

I seriously loved that scalloped trim…and the cabinets looked like they were brand spanking new!

100_4471

The eat-in kitchen area….love those beams!

100_4472

Here is the family room…..it’s SO cozy looking!

100_4477

This was the master bath.

100_4483

As a bonus the family selling the house showed off this copy of  The American Home magazine from July 1960. The story goes that the original family that built this house were quite smitten with the cottage/colonial look….. they took one look at the house in this magazine, decided it was their dream home and ordered the plans straight away!  SO cool!!!

100_4454

100_4456

I think they did a pretty fabulous  job of replicating the house!

100_4457

I’d say it was  a pretty sweet house!

14 Responses to Sweet Little 1960s Cottage/Colonial Time Capsule House Up For Sale

1. sherree Reply

March 6, 2014 at 9:59 am

Oh Sara this house is lovely! The front facade reminds me of the house on Bewitched 🙂 Just around the corner from my mid-century ranch is a 1959 Cape Cod (colonial). My nephew and his family lived there for many years and I loved it’s homey warm style that was similar to this one. It even had an additional fireplace in the basement. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could just find a home in a magazine, order the plans and have it built, not worrying about the cost!! Thanks for sharing.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 6, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Bewitched! It must have been Bewitched then Sherree! I KNEW it reminded me of some house I had seen in an old sitcom…thanks to you and Kirk for pointing it out for me!

And you have no idea how much I WISH we could just choose our dream home out of a magazine and have it built JUST like we want it!

2. KirkW Reply

March 6, 2014 at 11:22 am

So Awesome! I immediately thought of the house from Bewitched! Love these well-preserved homes. You can tell whoever lived (lives) there really took care of it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm

It really was an awesome house Kirk! And I know, this place was really is superb shape….which is amazing for it’s age!

March 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Oh…..I LOVE this house! So, so charming and well-kept.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I just knew this house would be right up your alley Miss Eartha…..it really was fabulous though!

4. Paula Reply

March 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm

It looks the couch upholstery is the exact same pattern as the wallpaper!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 6, 2014 at 2:11 pm

So funny that you noticed that right off the bat Paula, I JUST noticed it this morning and I was the one taking the pics!

5. tammyCA Reply

March 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm

A sweet house..warm and cozy, my kinda house..and scallop trim, too!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

SUCH a sweet house Tammy…and really, can you EVER go wrong with scalloped trim?! I say NEVER!!!

March 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

Oh that is so cool that they kept the magazine that the house came out of – awesome!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I thought that was a really neat touch too Andrea!

7. S. S. Reply

March 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Oh, goodness! A friend of mine grew up in a house that had the exact same floorplan! And another one is right up the street from where I live now!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 9, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Wow! Really S.S.?! I think this must have been a VERY popular floor plan then!