Home » Decade » 1960 » Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Ladies of Mad Men Edition

March 21, 2014

Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Ladies of Mad Men Edition

By Andrea

I gotta admit, as excited as I am that Mad Men will be back in April, I am a bit sad that this is to be the final season.  What am I going to watch???  It’s speculated that this season will take place in 1969 (which really, would make sense for a show about the 60′s!), so lets have some fun imagining what the ladies might have worn, shall we?

First up, this: Vintage 1969 Butterick 5209 Misses' Coat Dress Pattern

madmen1

This is my pick for Peggy.  Very no-nonsense, very practical.  As much as I’d like to see her in view A, I am guessing she’d probably pick view C’s brown shade.

Next, we have this VINTAGE 1969 McCalls Pattern #9783

madmen2

The long pantdress totally screams out Megan Draper, no?

Here, we have this VINTAGE 1969 SIMPLICITY MISSES SHIRT-DRESS & TIE SEWING PATTERN

madmen3

This is my pick for Betty (Draper) Francis.  She does love her shirtdresses – and this is definitely the version of the shirtdress for 1969!

Then, we have this Vtg Misses A-line Dress Dropped Waist Retro VOGUE Sew Pattern

madmen4

I had to feature this one as I love the Vogue designer patterns – that being said, I could definitely see Peggy sporting something similar to the blue checked version, I think!

And finally, we have this Vintage 1969 Simplicity 8159 JIFFY DRESS

madmen5

I had a really hard time making my pick for Joan!  She has loved her wiggle dresses all throughout the series, but this is a look that just isn’t big at all in 1969!  I am thinking maybe she might move to something along the lines of a very fitted version of this dress?  She was definitely a difficult one to make a pick for, so I can’t wait to see what she’s wearing this season come premiere time!

Have a great weekend, everybody!

*Disclaimer: No Pattern Required is part of the eBay Partner Network.  As such, we may receive a small commission should you choose to click on our links.

12 Responses to Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Ladies of Mad Men Edition

1. thelmaritter Reply

March 21, 2014 at 7:48 am

I just finished my mad men binge watch last Sunday. Does anyone else think regular TV is dead? We have such busy schedules (and I’d rather go to bed than “stay up” to see a show) that I dare say I’d never see anything if it was not “on demand”. But on topic–i had a great aunt who lived in “jiffy dresses”. Love ‘em!

• Andrea Reply

March 21, 2014 at 10:48 am

I agree that regular TV is coming close to death, that’s for sure – especially as Netflix starts putting out their own series’. Here’s hoping they do a mid-century period one at some point! I personally love patterns that can be made up quickly – I am not surprised your aunt loved them, too!

2. Lassie Reply

March 21, 2014 at 9:14 am

I love looking at patterns! OK….the coatdress: Peggy was always wearing plaid, from day one (she is a Catholic school grad). The brown is stylish, but she would wear plaid. The pantdress: fun and cute, and SO impractical! what a pain when you have to go to the ladies room! Shirtdress: yes! for Betty, in blue. Betty has always worn blue. The A-line dropped waist: yes, the blue with short sleeves is definitely Peggy. The jiffy dress: how cute is that?? Maybe for Joan….I dunno. Joan is tough to dress, with her particular figure, she can’t just give in to the latest trend. She would look ridiculous in a mini-skirt and go-go boots. She has to dress for her figure, conservatively, with updated touches. Her rose printed knit dresses always told their own story over the seasons (reflecting her inner emotions). I hope they put her in some updated separates. But nothing too ‘flimsy’, Joan is a lot of woman and knows it.

• Andrea Reply

March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hmm, you do have a good point about Peggy and plaid. I was putting her in the brown, just because I found the plaid more stylish, and I have always found Peggy to be a bit more practical than stylish a lot of the time. But you do have a very good point about the schoolgirl plaid. Joan really is a tough one – her typical look really doesn’t fly in this time period. Good call on the separates, though, that would be a good way for her to go.

3. Janice Reply

March 21, 2014 at 9:53 am

Funny, as soon as I saw the pantdress, the first person I thought of was Megan Draper. I’m sure we’ll see her in one of those this season…which by the way, I had not heard it was going to be the last. So sorry to hear that – one of my favorite shows for many reasons – one of which was to see the home décor and fashion. I will miss all the characters, but especially Don who I have the biggest crush on. :)

• Andrea Reply

March 21, 2014 at 10:54 am

Megan is always on the cutting edge of fashion! Yes, this season is to be the last – and AMC is doing a split season with a really long gap in between. I am not sure if that makes it better or worse! Lots of waiting.

4. cedar Reply

March 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

The girl in the jumpsuit even looks like Megan! I am so bummed about the show ending, but I know the last season is going to be amazing. I can’t believe though that we have to wait an entire year for the second half of the last season, that hardly seems fair to us loyal viewers!

• Andrea Reply

March 21, 2014 at 10:56 am

She really does look a lot like Megan, hey? I know – patience is not my strong suit! It’s nice that it is prolonged a bit, but the waiting is going to kill me, I think!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

March 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

Love all of your picks Andrea – I think they are spot on! Though I do have to admit, I miss the fashions from the early days on the show!

I am SUPER excited that the show will be back on soon….can’t wait….but I heard about the splitting the season thing too and that just peeves me off! Boo!!! Also, I am completely devastated that this will be the last (albeit split up) season. ugh. :(

• Andrea Reply

March 21, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Thanks, Sara! I know how you love your full skirted dresses! :-) I don’t know why AMC is such a fan of the split season, makes me crazy! :-(

6. tammyCA Reply

March 24, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I imagine Joan wearing colorful chiffon…I think she wore one in last season. Colorful, flouncy, flowery chiffon was big around that time..with shoes dyed to match..we had a rainbow of shoe dyes.
    Oh, and those curls on the side of the face…so popular.

• Andrea Reply

March 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Oooh, I think you might be totally right, Tammy! I can so definitely see Joan sporting that look!