Home » Decade » 1960 » Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Men of Mad Men Edition

March 28, 2014

Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Men of Mad Men Edition

by Andrea

We had some fun last week speculating what the ladies of Mad Men are going to be wearing this season – now let’s take a look at what’s upcoming for Men’s Fashion!

First up, this Vintage 1969 Simplicity Men's Vest & Wide Pants

mmen1

Ahh, this look.  I don’t know what you call this look?  Nehru-jacket-updated-for-the-office?  However, I can totally see trendy Harry Crane sporting something like this!

Next, we have this PATTERN VINTAGE 1969 M9636 MEN'S BUSINESS JACKET SINGLE/DOUBLE BREASTED

mmen2

Obviously, the sport coat is a classic.  However, do you think we’ll see any of the men sporting this double-breasted look?

Then, we have this Vintage McCall's Pattern MISSES' AND MEN'S PONCHO

mmen3

Ponchos are coming!  Ponchos are coming!  I don’t know who we will see wearing a poncho (perhaps not one of the main characters), but I sure would be surprised if we made it through 1969 without seeing at least one dude sporting a poncho!

Here, we have this vintage pattern: mens SHIRT & reversible VEST

mmen4

The vests are coming, too!  While I am not a fan of the boxy vest look shown above, I do definitely like a more fitted vest on a man.  I could see Roger rocking this fancy vest look.

Finally, we have this vintage pattern: mens TURTLENECK SHIRT

mmen5

I think we’re going to see a lot more turtlenecks this season.  Maybe Megan will hip up Don’s look and get him to sport more turtlenecks and blazers.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

*Disclaimer: No Pattern Required is part of the eBay Partner Network.  As such, we may receive a small commission should you choose to click on our links.

10 Responses to Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Men of Mad Men Edition

1. thelmaritter Reply

March 28, 2014 at 7:27 am

Meghan and don remind me of my very stylish aunt and uncle. Im not quite sure uf it was a later 60’s or early 70´s trend but they liked to dress alike. This always drove my very uptight mother insane.

• Andrea Reply

March 29, 2014 at 1:57 am

Oh good call on that one – I can totally see Megan dressing her and Don alike – whether he likes it or not!

2. Susan Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:25 am

I am looking at the first pattern and thinking “Good Lord, no one would ever wear that” – and then it dawned on me – Mr. Furley from Three’s Company.

• Andrea Reply

March 29, 2014 at 1:58 am

Oh my goodness, you are totally right on that one, Susan – I just got a mental image of Mr. Furley wearing that outfit made out of a powder blue double knit!

3. Claudia Reply

March 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

When I see turtlenecks, one 60s/70s TV show comes to mind — Chad Everett on “Medical Center.” He rocked those turtlenecks!

Haven’t all the Mad Men moved to LA? In which case, maybe every day will be casual Friday??

• Andrea Reply

March 29, 2014 at 1:59 am

It is rumored they will be in LA this season – could definitely bring some more casual looks to their wardrobes for sure!

4. Chris Reply

March 29, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I was a boy whose mother sewed many of mine and my sister’s clothes back then. For Easter 1972 I has a vest outfit very similar to that first pattern, complete with a little chain enclosure on the vest. I believe it was done in a purple/blue paisley design. Good memories!

• Andrea Reply

March 31, 2014 at 10:34 am

Very cool, Chris! Glad I could take you for a little trip down memory lane :-)

5. Sara In AZ Reply

March 30, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Ha! I would LOVE to see Don in a poncho this season!!!

• Andrea Reply

March 31, 2014 at 10:30 am

LOL, Sara! That would be awesome, but somehow I am thinking his fashion line might be drawn a bit before a poncho, hah!