Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Snappy Saturday – Katz Drug Store

March 15, 2014

Vintage Snappy Saturday – Katz Drug Store

By Sara In AZ

What could be better than an amaze-balls mid-century drug store combined with an equally amaze-balls sign?! Nothing I say!

Picture of  Katz Drug Store #33,  441 Kirkwood Road Missouri.

Katz Drug Store Missouri 1950’s vintage grocery market from seller vastcool.

10 Responses to Vintage Snappy Saturday – Katz Drug Store

1. Beth Reply

March 15, 2014 at 7:57 am

Did you take a look at the rest of his listings? Photos of cheesily-posed topless women and strippers in bars for $1.99, photos of tiki-themed restaurants for $2.99, and THEN, amid the rest is this:

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Oh ugggghhhh Beth, no I had not even looked at his other listings…..K-Razy!!! Glad you got a laugh anyhow! 🙂

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

March 15, 2014 at 9:21 am

OMG, talk about a blast from the past…I grew up in Kansas City and I’m pretty sure we had this drugstore chain there. I loved that sign with the cat when I was little!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I am sure that you probably did have one of these stores Queen, it seemed like they were “The” drugstore around that area for a good long while! SO cool!!!

3. tammyCA Reply

March 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Cool! I remember a very Modern design grocery store we shopped at in Ill., in the ’60s…it looked like a giant geometric origami piece with steep pointed angled roofs and lots of glass. NOw that I think of it, it seemed out of place in the middle of mostly fields, but that was the style back then. I wonder if it still exists?

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Ooohhhhh Tammy – that store you used to shop at sounds FAB! How wild that it was out in the middle of nowhere like that! You’ll have to let me know if it does still exist!

4. Pam Lappin Reply

March 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I remember these stores. Founded in Kansas City, Katz revolutionized low price retail long before Walmart. There’s a great book out about the company.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:50 pm

GREAT clip Pam!!! Thanks for the link……lord, how I WISH there were still stores like this still around and not the generic ‘blah’ places like Wal-Mart!

5. Jill Garvey Reply

March 16, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Wow…I have been there.
    This was my hometown drugstore in Kirkwood MO . Went there the whole time it was there. It was HUGE inside and very bright with all the windows. It had lots of departments with a big liquor selection. Funny what you remember as a kid.
    It was replaced with a new Walgreens.
    Thanks for the memory.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Oh no Jill…it’s gone?! 🙁 I was hoping the building had survived even though the chain is long gone.

Glad to bring a smile to your face!