Home » Fashion » Vintage Tips for Ironing Clothing from GE

March 31, 2014

Vintage Tips for Ironing Clothing from GE

By RetroRuth

Happy Monday! This week we are going to be looking at a manual that came with the GE Steam and Dry Iron.

Steam and Dry Iron 001

I found this some time ago, and I have been utilizing the tips in this manual to iron our clothing and table linens, both vintage and modern. There have been a few advancements that make modern ironing a little easier, but not much has changed in ironing through the years. We still use an iron, we still use an ironing board, my iron has steam and dry settings, and I break out the starch every time I iron Tom’s work shirts. Overall, the tips in this booklet are still relevant today!

Steam and Dry Iron 002

Steam and Dry Iron 003

Steam and Dry Iron 004

I started ironing my vintage tablecloths on the right side rather than the wrong side after reading this. It actually does help the sheen!

Steam and Dry Iron 005

Thankfully, we now have things like spray starch to make our lives easier. I don’t think I would be able to handle it if I had to mix starch every time I ironed. Tom’s shirts would probably be stiff as boards.

Steam and Dry Iron 006

I’ve also found a small, empty spray bottle from the store filled with water works great for sprinkling vintage clothes and linen. Though, I have to say I have NEVER stored sprinkled clothes in the fridge. I’m just not that into ironing.

Hope these tips helped you, or at least brought back some fond memories. If you have any tips or tricks to make ironing easier, please feel free to share in the comments!

6 Responses to Vintage Tips for Ironing Clothing from GE

1. thelmaritter Reply

March 31, 2014 at 9:01 am

My mother used to iron everything including my father’s undershirts. I didnt realize how nuts that was until i went away to college (where i also learned the “5 second rule” for dropped food ws not true–shattering!).

March 31, 2014 at 10:41 am

Not gonna lie, ironing is probably my least favourite household task. I only iron Darren’s work shirts, things that are wrinkled beyond recognition and the majority of the time my iron is used is pressing during sewing, LOL. There does look to be some great tips here, this was really informative!

3. Jason Reply

March 31, 2014 at 11:31 am

At first I thought sprinkling was like using a spray bottle or your iron to spray the clothes before you iron them, but it appears maybe it’s something other than that. Sprinkle fold loosely and bag??

I definately don’t iron anything inside out enough reading this! I got a new iron for Christmas from my Mommom, since the one I have from her is dripping water, which was her newer one – she now uses her oldest one. Anyway – maybe it has a nifty ironing guide!

I’ll have to get a stool for my stand up board – also from Mommom, it’s wooden – way ligther than the metal one she always and still uses.

4. Kim Campbell Reply

March 31, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I miss old irons like this one. My mom ironed everything too. I did when I went to college and after awhile stopped because it was nuts! Some of the stuff my mom even has sent out to her “ironing lady’!

5. Jacki Reply

April 1, 2014 at 10:52 am

I remember my mom had a turquoise plastic sprinkler bottle and the bottom was shaped like a laundry basket. I now have it and know it’s around her somewhere. When I was small, I remember her wetting down her clothes and storing them in the fridge. She said it was to keep them from mildewing. She too used to iron my dad’s tee shirts and hankies. It’s no wonder people used to look so nice and put together back then.

6. tammyCA Reply

April 1, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I used to iron everything when I was younger (ya know, those days of ironing a crease in your jeans!)..now, I just iron linens, and projects. One new trick I learned when you have gunky, sticky stuff on your iron (like from my projects) is to take a wadded up dryer sheet and iron on it..the gunk comes off the iron onto the sheet.