Home » Decade » 1970 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Color & Pattern in Waterloo, Ontario

March 16, 2014

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Color & Pattern in Waterloo, Ontario

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is color and 1973 opulence and a whole lot of kapow! Truth be told, I needed this house this week. It’s not going to be everyone’s bag but you know, sometimes a lady with “kitsch” in her name just has to go there. Give me color. Give me pattern. Give me wallpaper and opulent colors and mix them all together in a candy colored swirl.

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.22.01 PM

Yes, I know what you’re saying. You’re saying, “Wait..that house? That house looks so mild-mannered!” Well, just you wait and see. But first, a little about this home. It is located at 278 Old Post Road in Waterloo, Ontario and it was built in 1973.  The home has 2177 square feet and includes 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. It is listed at $559,900 and is being offered by Mary Bales with Coldwell Banker Peter Benninger Realty. From the listing:

Impressive bi-level bungalow, custom built by George Milla, with generous living space on both levels. Spacious Living Room  & Dining Room, large family room with a walkout to  concrete balcony accented by spiral staircase to yard. Updated kitchen w/granite. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. Lower Level includes Office/Den with walkout to private, treed yard, 4th BRM, 3rd Bath. Lare Recreation Room with fireplace, storage & work areas, walkout to large double garage.

Let’s take a look!

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.23.15 PM

The Most Fabulous Room in Waterloo, Ontario

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.23.46 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.23.54 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.24.05 PM

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 9.24.22 PM

Lay it on me, readers! What do you think of this home? Could you move on in and live the life of 1973? Speak to me of red plush carpeting, split foyers and jewel toned pinch pleats!

Thanks go out to Laura for sending this house in for us to tour! If you’re interested in learning more about this home, please give Mary Bales with Coldwell Banker Peter Benninger Realty a call.

16 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Color & Pattern in Waterloo, Ontario

1. georgiapeachez Reply

March 16, 2014 at 7:14 am

Those pictures look straight out of a 1973 decorating magazine. I love those bathrooms and that fireplace, yowza.

2. kworthmom Reply

March 16, 2014 at 9:11 am

I just love the “clear” gold kitchen cabinet doors. I loved those as a kid and remember my Grandmother saying they would be terrible because you would have to keep the cabinet contents neat because everyone could see your mess. I remember them being very thin plastic when you touched them, not nearly as “riche” as I thought they would be!

3. Becky Reply

March 16, 2014 at 9:13 am

Well, I was a little girl in the early 70’s and I am severely nostalgic for that era so I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Especially the dining room and the bathrooms. The only thing I would change is the kitchen cabinets…those are nine kinds of hideous to me.

4. Charlotte Reply

March 16, 2014 at 9:52 am

Wow! It’s like Elvis meets Jayne Mansfield meets The Shining.

March 16, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I am pretty sure I have a 70’s edition Better Homes and Gardens featuring these design ideas, yowza!

6. Carrie Reply

March 16, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Wow Eartha, you weren’t kidding! When I saw the outside of the house I was not expecting that foyer. Btw, is the “most fabulous room” in the basement? What a time capsule you found!

7. Claudia Reply

March 16, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I LOVE those kitchen cabinet doors. Wow!!!

March 16, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I grew up in a house built in 1965 just like this house. Basically a wonderful home with great bones. I however would need to tone it down a bit and declutter. I love it though.

March 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

PS I would call this a raised ranch and not a bungalow.

10. S. S. Reply

March 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I love it! It’s like those plain cabinets that you open and find insanely bright paintings with little bejewelled figurines in front. I really love that kitchen- those cabinets are awesome! What are they, copper finished? The only thing I’d do is take out the carpet under the dining table so a food spill just means someone has to get a wet rag.

11. Bethany Reply

March 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Wow, just wow. I can’t believe that the listing description actually says “updated kitchen”!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Sara In AZ Reply

March 17, 2014 at 1:31 am

This house is 70s kitsch all the way…..I love it….and that fireplace/rec room…..totally epic!!!

March 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

Reminds me of a room at The Madonna Inn. Fabulous colors and textures!

14. tammyCA Reply

March 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I’m not too much of a ’70s fan (lived thru it), BUT, I actually like some aspects that have that Hollywood Regency look, like the railings and chandelier & of course, the house exterior has a regal bearing.
    So, to have fun and play up that HR look, I’d freshen & lighten it up with pastels & elegant but non-fussy vintage furniture (half circle sofas, velvet chairs), watercolor abstract paintings, crystal hanging pendant lighting, intricate wall screens, punches of hot pink, turquoise and gold…I’m obsessing lately about those colors and Chinoiserie, and I just saw the old 1966 movie, “Gambit” yesterday and now I’m really obsessing, the aesthetics of the film were amazing to my eye, I didn’t pay much attention to the plot.
    Sigh, I love to daydream…anyway, to get the visuals just look at the Barbie-sized versions by the amazingly, talented Maryann Roy: http://maryannroy.wordpress.com/

15. K of the Midwest Reply

March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am

So Nixon groovy! Eartha, I’d love to see what you would do with this house. The bundt pans would love the kitchen. So many levels for a cat to explore. Surprised at the lack of smoked mirrors. Maybe I need to look again.

16. thelmaritter Reply

March 23, 2014 at 5:15 am

Did this house remind anyone else of the first home Henry and Karen Hill lived in in Goodfellas? Especially the kitchen