Home » Decade » 1960 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Kitchen Time Capsules

June 3, 2014

Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Kitchen Time Capsules

By Sara In AZ

Whew, we are still going strong y’all! We had a few set backs due to some drywall repairs so that basically delayed a bunch of other stuff….including the flooring getting installed or us moving anything in……hopefully within the next few weeks all of that will be wrapped up!

As I was cleaning in the kitchen I came across some fun little tidbits I wanted to share with you all.

I had to remove all of the drawers for cleaning and this was what I found in the bottom of one of base the cabinets…..drats, why couldn’t it be $100 bills! ha!

100_6689

An old coupon and an old cookbook.

100_6692

I believe this coupon expired in 1981 or thereabout.

100_6693

What a sweet old cookbook…..I’ll just bet you are eyeballing this one, huh Ruth!?

100_6698

The Congressman’s wife even included a recipe – it looks kinda good….I may have to try it sometime!

100_6699

I found this in another cabinet. I know it is super hard to tell, but it says ‘Tupperware’ on it….any idea what this little hook type thing would be used for y’all???

100_6702

As I was cleaning the upper cabinets I came across this……………..

100_6749

………………vintage avocado green shelf liner! How cool!

100_6750

It’s called ‘Shelf Kushion’ by Rubbermaid, gosh I WISH they still made the stuff!

100_6754

And finally, the last remaining original wallpaper in the entire house.

100_6975

I think this print is super duper sweet. I am pretty sure this was up all around the kitchen, but the only remaining piece is in the refrigerator nook…..they had already taken down all of the other wallpaper by the time we got there. grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

100_6977

I am leaving this section of wallpaper up, even though it won’t necessarily blend with the other wallpaper I want to put up in there. The fridge nook is off by itself though so I don’t think it will be any problem at all! I just don’t have the heart to take it down………………………

19 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Kitchen Time Capsules

1. Caryn Reply

June 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

Love the shelf liner, the wallpaper and the Tupperware rack!! We had one in our kitchen cabinet when I was growing up, it holds the lids… there’s a little slot on the tab on Tupperware lids and it slides right onto that rack. So all your Tupperware lids are hanging neatly instead of lost in the cabinet :) Very cool, haven’t seen one of those in ages!!

2. Sara Reply

June 3, 2014 at 7:57 am

That tupperware gizmo is a hanger for tupperware lids! You know that little tab with the notch out of it on the old lids? Snap that notch onto the hanger, and voila.

We had one when I was a kid and those lids were always falling off and avalanching out of the cupboard.

3. Pam Taylor Reply

June 3, 2014 at 8:15 am

That Tupperware thingy…this is just a guess, but some of my old lids have a notched tab at the top, and I’ve always wondered “why the notch?”. Could that be a rack to suspend Tupperware lids from? It sure looks like lids could just be sorted and hang from the bottom of it so they don’t scatter all over the cupboard. Come to think of it, let me try something here…*leaves*

*returns* Yep, a wire clothes hanger is the right diameter to hand those pesky lids from. I never knew! Wonder if what you have there is a fancy hanger for tabbed lids? Please tell if you find out!

4. Jacki Reply

June 3, 2014 at 9:47 am

The picture of Betty Rhodes brought back some good memories. I grew up in Phoenix during that era when Phoenix was 400,000 people and a super great place to live. Also, my Mom used to wear her hair almost identical to that photo. Sure miss those days…sigh.

June 3, 2014 at 11:51 am

I would totally leave up the original wallpaper, too! What neat finds!

6. Ashley Reply

June 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Love that old wallpaper!

When we first moved into our house the wallpaper in the kitchen was already peeling off of the walls. I was so bummed, because it was the bold, beautiful floral pattern. Luckily, there was some wallpaper still holding strong in the pantry, so we left it there as a reminder of the beautiful luck the kitchen originally had.

As for the Tupperware thing, I have something similar hanging in the base cabinets at my house. Mine is more of a shelf, but I think it’s purpose is the same – to hold those pesky Tupperware lids. I left mine in, and it really does a great job of helping to organize some of the chaos.

7. RangerSmith Reply

June 3, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Loves me some house history. “If these walls could talk”. Cool

8. sherree Reply

June 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm

So happy for you Sara! You kitchen is gonna be dreamy. I would also leave up that great wallpaper. I can’t wait to see more :-)

9. Sara In AZ Reply

June 3, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Oh my gosh y’all….you are BRILLIANT!!!! Thank you SO much for informing me that I have a Tupperware lid organizer! I would have never guesses in a million years….and yes. I am totally leaving it up!

Jacki – my husband grew up here from the early 70s onward – he says Phoenix was a MUCH different place back then too…..it’s kinda sad we can’t go back to that small town feel.

10. dkzody Reply

June 3, 2014 at 9:26 pm

My 1974 tract house’s master bathroom has shelf paper lining the drawers with paper very similar to that wallpaper you found.

11. S. S. Reply

June 4, 2014 at 7:12 am

Y’know, I’d be curious to see what else is in that book. If you scan it, please post!

June 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Love these finds! You HAVE to make Company Casserole. It was written in the stars.

13. Midge Reply

June 5, 2014 at 11:04 am

That one thing is what my mom put our white Tupperware lids on. The lids went to these pretty colored Tupperware bowls that we used for cereal, salad and other things. This was in the sixties so we did not have a microwqave and we survived!!!!!! My mom is ninety two and finally moving to assisted living and my sister and I cannot wait for the adventure of her cabinets.

14. Sevina Reply

June 8, 2014 at 8:13 am

I love all the cool treasures you found! Might have to try that recipe, too. I have a small collection of 1960s cookbooks and the food ideas from that time are fascinating!

15. Kim Campbell Reply

June 8, 2014 at 11:55 am

Yep, my mom had one of those Tupperware lid holders. Pretty cool!

16. Pingback: Company Casserole – A Vintage Recipe Test | No Pattern Required