Home » Decade » 1960 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Jazzing Up The Master Bedroom Built-In

July 29, 2014

Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Jazzing Up The Master Bedroom Built-In

Sara In AZ

I think I told you all once before that our retro ranch has no shortage of built-ins…..every bedroom has one and there is also a giant one in the hallway and one in the family room. I already showed you all the built-in hutch we restored in one of the bedrooms and I promise to show you all of the built-ins eventually, but today we are focusing on the built-in located in the master bedroom.

I adore this built-in beyond words! Mike and I only currently have one small-ish (sorta ramshackle) dresser between us so this will be a VERY nice change! Hello storage!!!

100_7207

When we first got the house I was thinking we’d basically just leave the built-in alone – that we’d just paint around it and leave the built-in as-is. It was always painted (it was never a natural wood tone) and I was thinking maybe it was just good enough as-is.

100_7209

Then I got to scrutinizing the built-in one day and saw it had a bunch of nicks and dings all over the doors and drawers…nothing big….just little stuff here and there. But I got to thinking that  since we were basically painting the entire place I’d hate to have everything else look fabulous and the built-in be the drab eyesore of the room.

100_7212

So yeah, like I really need to add one more painting project to my list! eeks!!!

I set up everything in the living room and went to work painting the doors and all 800 of the drawers. Seriously, it was just 15 drawers but it TOTALLY felt like 800!!!

100_7254

Here is the original color against my first coat – it was kind of a creamy beige color. I decided to paint everything a glossy white.

100_7256

And *poof* here is the after!

I decided to change out the hardware in here too.

100_7909

I had a bunch of the chrome chevron handles just lying around in storage and somehow I managed to score some knobs with a starburst escutcheon on the cheap recently – so I thought why not finally put them in action!

100_7911

I think the new hardware and paint really make this built-in  pop now!

100_7915

And I just had to show you all this too….I’ve had these vintage ceramic light switch covers for years now – but I could never use them because we never had these smaller style switches. I’ve always held onto them hoping one day we’d be able to use them and yay, it finally worked out! We thought this atomic light switch cover would look just great next to the built-in with the starburst knobs.

100_7917

Ahhhhh yes, much better!

100_7919

We still have all of the original hardware and will not get rid of it, we just thought it would be nice to change things up in the master and I  am loving the change!

14 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Jazzing Up The Master Bedroom Built-In

1. Uncle Atom Reply

July 29, 2014 at 8:01 am

Great job! The new hardware (and switch plate) really dress things up.

2. Charlotte Reply

July 29, 2014 at 8:07 am

Love it! Hardware is such a small change that makes a huge impact.

3. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

July 29, 2014 at 9:00 am

Looks great! I am really enjoying following along on your restoration. (P.S. I picked up a mid century sectional the other day too and immediately came to the blog to see how to replace the foam. Thanks!)

4. sherree Reply

July 29, 2014 at 9:13 am

Oh Sara I love your built ins! The white looks so crisp and clean and your hardware just makes them so cool. And those switch plate covers! I am glad I am not the only one who stockpiles for later. It all looks fab. I am enjoying seeing your new home :-)

5. Janice Reply

July 29, 2014 at 9:48 am

That looks fabulous! I know if you hadn’t painted now, you would be kicking yourself and end up doing it later anyway. Love the new hardware and switch plate, too! I’m actually in the throws of painting a built-in very much like yours in our bedroom hallway so I feel your pain! Luckily, the handles on all the doors and drawers are brass chevrons which I plan to clean up and reuse. I’m loving watching your house projects!

July 29, 2014 at 11:03 am

Oh my god, I am totally jealous of your built ins! Especially with how fantastic they loo now, wow! That switchplate definitely sets everything off, too – great job!

7. Desirae Day Reply

July 29, 2014 at 11:51 am

That looks fantastic!

8. Sara In AZ Reply

July 29, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Thanks you so, so, so very much for all the kind words everyone….I really appreciate it!

midcentuyrfella – I’ll just bet that sectional is amazeballs!!!

sherree – you are TOTALLY not the only one who stockpiles! :)

Janice – I knew we’d regret it if we didn’t just go ahead and paint it before the flooring went in….I’m SO glad it’s done now! Good luck with your built-in….I know what you are going through…how awesome that you have brass chevrons though….I am sure it will look just spectacular when you are done!

9. Kate Reply

July 30, 2014 at 8:59 am

Sara, your restoration work is amazing, and it is so fun to see your progress. It is great to see how a hardware change can really change a piece. It also confirms my hoarding of hardware and switch plate covers, as you never know when you will need them. Showing this justification to my husband asap!!!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Kate – Thanks so much! And yes…..I 100% completely approve of all the hardware and switch plate cover hoarding that you can do :) ….you just never know! I also branched out into vintage light hoarding and it’s paying off now – as we are going to be able to use a lot of them! Stay tuned for posts on all of that!

July 30, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Lovely work, as always! And yes, Janice was right – now was totally the right time to paint it. And new hardware looks perfect!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Ruth! And I know….NOW is totally the time to paint! I can’t imagine having our clothes loaded down in the built-in and then having to deal with all of that when I wanted to paint…..eeps!

11. S. S. Reply

August 7, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Must be so nice to get out all those little pieces and things you’ve been setting aside for when you got a house to install them in- can’t wait to see what you do with everything else you have waiting!