Home » MCM Fun » Author » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Alden Dow-Designed Home in Saginaw, MI

December 28, 2014

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Alden Dow-Designed Home in Saginaw, MI

By RetroRuth

This week we are going back to the roots of the “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” series! When I started this years and years ago, I started it as a showcase for all the awesome mid-century homes that seem to pop up regularly in my area. Since then, this feature has been passed around, changed, grown and now encompasses not only homes in my area, but mid-century homes all around the world.

But this week, we have a lovely home in Saginaw, Michigan!

417553_0_L

This home is located at 408 Ardussi, in Saginaw, Michigan. It was built in 1960 and designed by our own local mid-century celebrity architect, Alden B. Dow. The home has four bedrooms, 2 full bath, 2 half baths and is 2925 square feet. It is for sale by Linda Sarmiento from the Sarmiento Dream Team. You can see the listing here (360 degree tour available!) The listing states:

A piece of architectural history. One of Alden B. Dow’s finest. Over 2,900 square feet ranch. Open floor plan with many custom built-ins. Three bedrooms, 2 full and 2 half baths. Full finished lower level. This sprawling ranch home sits on 4 lots with never ending gardens. Natural light throughout the home. Other features include in ground pool with pool house, basketball court. Finished lower level with bar and Jacuzzi. A great home for entertaining

Entry

417553_15_L

417553_17_L

417553_19_L

417553_20_L

Laundry Room

417553_18_L

So, what do you think? This home is very typical of Alden Dow-designed homes, with the white fixtures in colored bathrooms, loads of gorgeous built-ins, lots and lots of space to display works of art, Geneva cabinets (white!). This is really a fun-looking house!

11 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Alden Dow-Designed Home in Saginaw, MI

1. divajean Reply

December 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

What a gorgeous home! I would probably only change up the wallpaper in the kitchen to a calmer sea foam blue color to keep the overall pallet more similar. Love it… if only this home were in Syracuse!

2. Sevina Reply

December 28, 2014 at 10:02 am

This is another beautiful home where I just want to cry or faint or do both. So much space, beautiful built ins, the fireplace! The grounds! The windows – oh my! In the Chicago burbs that house would easily fetch 800,000. Even though I’d actually like to size down from our current 1200 sq ft, I would snatch up this home in an instant if we were ready to move.

3. Maureen Reply

December 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Sometimes it is almost painful for me to read these posts, I LOVE the houses so much! What a great price on this house, if I lived in Michigan, or wanted to move there-I would be putting in a bid ASAP. This house is amazing, and that closet?? I need smelling salts.

4. Jacki Reply

December 29, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Okay, so why are the most fabulous houses in cold country (brrrrrr)? This house is wonderful all the way from it’s steel kitchen to it’s blue tiled bathrooms. What an awesome price. Love it!

5. Jonny Reply

December 29, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Seems like an incredible house for an asking price of $189K. I wonder if it’s the neighborhood, or just a depressed market in this Michigan area? I’m not sure there’s another area of the country where this could be and sell so cheap! I really like the interesting ceiling treatments over the dining table and master bedroom.

• RetroRuth Reply

December 29, 2014 at 4:31 pm

It’s Saginaw area that is responsible for the cheap price. Not the greatest place to live right now.

6. divajean Reply

December 29, 2014 at 6:44 pm

The bathrooms are just what I would want in the world. I get so upset watching flipping shows on television when they gut these! The only one who restores them right is The Rehab Addict. She once said something to the effect of “I you have to use a jackhammer to get tiles up, you should have just left it. It’s more solid than anything new today.”

7. tammyCA Reply

December 29, 2014 at 10:42 pm

A lovely Mid-century house..so spacious and the grounds!! With the right swanky mid-century furniture and accessories it would be something you’d see in the Atomic ranch magazine.

8. Pamela H. Reply

December 30, 2014 at 7:52 am

It is a dream home! The price is incredible.

9. Ami Reply

October 8, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the pictures! My grandpa was the original owner of this house. My Mom has lots of stories–the night the sod was brought in and rolled out, and what a pain it was to scrub the pool tiles. I’ve got the dishes Alden B. Dow picked out. When My Grandma commented they were plain, he said “well, Mary, just think how pretty they’ll be with a leaf of lettuce on them.” 🙂 Its a beautiful house. I’d love to buy it back someday.

• Jennifer Reply

March 28, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Ami- are you serious? Your grandfather was the original owner?