Home » MCM Fun » Author » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Searching For A New (Vintage Looking) Family Room Sofa

February 24, 2015

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I have been on the hunt for a new vintage look sofa/loveseat for a few months now. We’ve had our current sofa and loveseat for eons and honestly the scale of it is just WAY to big for our family room…..plus we’d like something a bit more ‘retro’ to fit the ranch.

We are looking more towards loveseats than actual sofas as the width needs to be smaller than the typical sofa size. We are trying to find something right around 70”. We are thinking that a loveseat and matching chair combination would work out nicely in the family room, we definitely don’t want to overcrowd the space.

All of the loveseats shown below can be customized in size – a big plus for us since we are looking for a more specific size….though most of the loveseats here could probably fit our family room as-is.

I will start off with my very favorite loveseat  – the Eastwood from Joybird! There is just something about the design that I really, really love….and the way those legs are on the bottom – well, this loveseat would fit in with our Heywood Wakefield furniture just beautifully!

Joybird Eastwood Loveseat

We also thought the Mitchell loveseat was super cool and would also fit in nicely with H-W too, but we are questioning the long-term comfort of having a loveseat with wooden arms.

Joybird  Mitchell Loveseat

We liked the Anson sofa from Room and Board too.

Room and Board Anson Sofa

We were also thinking of a Heywood Wakefield sofa as a possibility for the family room, which can be customized in size as well.

Heywood Wakefield Madeline Sofa

Heywood Wakefield Margaret Sofa

I’d love to know if anyone out there has had any experience with any of these particular sofas/loveseats……or the companies in general. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there a loveseat/sofa  that missed my list that you think might be perfect for my family room here at the ranch? Please do let me know your thoughts and opinions, I’d love to hear what you all have to say!

11 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Searching For A New (Vintage Looking) Family Room Sofa

1. Shannon V Reply

February 24, 2015 at 7:53 am

There is a company in Charlotte NC making some great looking furniture Atomic Chair Company is the name.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Thanks so much for the heads up Shannon, I will check it out!

2. Lynne Reply

February 24, 2015 at 10:08 am

I love the look of Joybird furniture in general. I studied the Eastwood carefully and the welting on the seat cushion is what concerned me. That front has no corded welting, and I’m not sure how that rounded front would hold up over time. As for the Mitchell, well there is no seat cushion to flip and fluff at all. I’d be worried there would be two dents and worn spots in a quick hurry.

Have you looked at Younger Furniture? Or maybe Rowe? I have a Rowe Dorsett sectional that I am extremely happy with.

I don’t want to discourage you by any means, but you did ask for opinions!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Ooohhhhh, good eye Lynne….I didn’t even think about that rounded front on the cushion! I wonder (if we did decide on that one) if they could do a custom cushion with welting to match the back cushion sans buttons….something for me to think about I guess!

I will definitely check out the other manufacturers you recommended too!

And yes!!! I NEED your opinions, so no problem there at all!!!

3. Ann Reply

February 24, 2015 at 11:09 am

I would also suggest Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. We bought two sofas there when we moved into our house. They are very sturdy. We shopped around quite a bit and while the MGBW sofas were about $500 more expensive (each) than something similar at Crate & Barrel, once we sat on them, there was no question. The C&B sofas didn’t feel nearly as sturdy. Bonus: MGBW are manufactured in the USA.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Ann -thank you for alerting me to MGBW sofas, I will definitely check them out too! And yes, I always love something *that* much more when it’s made in the good old US of A!

4. sherree Reply

February 24, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I do love them all and know whatever you choose it will look fab! For the retro look you are going for I like the first 3 the best. I think the Madeline seems a little “Deco” and the Margaret a little “Grandma”. I did not over think it; I just went with my first impression of each one 🙂 Good luck.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Tee-hee – I agree that it is a little “grandma” Sherree! 🙂 And yes, I think we will have this sofa situation all figured out in due time…we just want to find the *right* one!

5. Jacki Reply

February 25, 2015 at 10:53 am

Although it sounds like you want to go new, I found my family room sofa two years ago about an hour from here (Prescott) on eBay. It is green and rusty orange herculon and the sofa is Danish Modern. According to the seller, the owner had it in a room that no one ever used and it looked like no one had ever sat on it. It’s amazing that you can still find these barely used gems around.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I am totally not against a “true” vintage couch/sofa Jacki….I think we are just concerned about finding the right small-ish size for our room – and also something that is really super comfortable. Whatever we get cannot really exceed more than 73 inches, so it’s really more a loveseat type size…and we’d like to find a matching chair as well. I’m wondering how easy/hard that would be to find in a vintage set??? You never know though!

6. Anonymous Reply

March 21, 2015 at 5:25 pm

take a look at the Bantam sofa from DWR – it has a nice retro-ish feel and comes in a 73″ version

We have the 86″ and it is excruciatingly comfortable (way more than it looks to be, actually)

Similar in style is the Petrie from Crate & Barrel but I don’t think it comes in a smaller size. There’s on from Room&Board too, but the name escapes me