September 11, 2015A Little Rehab Project–Kat’s Hood Vent Fan
Exciting times around these parts! My oldest daughter, Kat, had just bough herself a little post-war, mid-century modest house. Although the house still has tons of original charm, we’re doing some work to it to bring back even more original details. I’ve got a little project to share with your today – the revamp I did of her hood vent fan in her kitchen.
Here’s the before. Somebody did a terrible job trying to paint it white at some point. Also, those are the original cupboards that someone tried to do a faux wood finish on – but there will be more on the cupboards later.
I could see by the peeling paint and underneath the unit that it was originally a copper colour, so I was hoping to strip it back down to that.
However, the stripper took off the copper as well and took it down to bare metal. But I also discovered that the front was originally stainless, which was quite nice. As there were some residual rust marks, it had to be painted.
All taped off to paint.
Initially, I was going to paint it copper close to the original colour, but I couldn’t find any copper paint of the right sort at all locally. So, I ended up with going with a silver to match the stainless.
Now, once more thing to deal with – the nasty, nasty filter.
I tried looking for a replacement filter, but it seems that this one was not a common size – nor was it a common manufacturer. During my googling, I cam across http://rangehoodsfilter.com/, which will custom make you a new filter to any size – and they are made in the USA! I measured the nasty one and ordered one right up.
Here you can see the nasty one and the new one together – same size!
Installed and ready to go (you can also see the original copper colour here).
And here’s the finished hood vent! I will be bringing you some more rehab projects from Kat’s house in upcoming weeks – stay tuned!