Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Disneyland Photographs

September 29, 2015

Vintage Disneyland Photographs

By Sara In AZ

I recently stumbled upon this online article 34 vintage photos of Disneyland that will make you want to be a kid again showing some old photographs of Disneyland and just knew I had to share it with y’all!

The “Happiest Place on Earth” turns 60 on July 17.

In 1955, Walt Disney and President Richard Nixon led the opening ceremonies in Anaheim, California. The park held just 18 attractions, and Sleeping Beauty’s Castle wasn’t even open to the public yet.

Today, the park hosts more than 16 million visitors annually.

The centerpiece of Tomorrowland, the TWA Moonliner rocketship, towered over the land.

When Disneyland first opened, it charged an entrance fee and an additional fee per ride. Starting in 1956, guests could instead purchase a booklet of tickets for different attractions. The prices pictured are from 1964.

When it opened, Disneyland featured 18 attractions scattered throughout five lands: Adventureland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, and Main Street USA.

The only thing that didn’t seem to change were the gates. Pictured in 1960, the entrance to Disneyland has managed to stay almost entirely in its original condition since the park opened.

Wow…..so, so cool! And, is it dating myself to say that I know what the “E” tickets were…..I remember using them as a kid!

Check out the full article 34 vintage photos of Disneyland that will make you want to be a kid again for more pictures!

10 Responses to Vintage Disneyland Photographs

1. sherree Reply

September 29, 2015 at 6:58 am

Oh I love this post Sara! I never got to go to Disneyland (my older siblings did in 1957) but I did go to Disney World in Florida the first year it opened in 1971. With today’s prices for admission and “thrill attractions” I think we have somehow lost Walt’s original dream for “The Happiest Place on Earth”. Thanks for sharing!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 30, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Sherree! I’ve been to Disney World once in the 70s and once in the 90s…..and to Disneyland once in the 80s….Mike and I have still not been there together! Someday!!! I know what you mean though….the prices are so, so high I cannot even imagine how entire families afford to go there?!

2. Dan O Reply

September 29, 2015 at 9:32 am

For 1964, those prices are rather high. You could get into the New York World’s Fair that same year for just $2.00, with few additional attraction charges. Still, there was absolutely nothing like it, and I imagine a trip to Disneyland was, for most families, a once a year or once a lifetime experience.

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 30, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Dan O – Looks like Disney was always a bit on the “pricier” side then huh?! 🙂 I think you are right though…….for probably most families this was a once in a lifetime experience.

3. Deanna Reply

September 30, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I grew up in Southern California and my family went to Disneyland at least a couple of times a year. I haven’t been in about 5 years and it’s way past time to do so!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 1, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Ooooohhhhhhh, LUCKY you Deanna…..color me jealous!!!

4. dkzody Reply

October 1, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Disneyland tickets now run around $100. Very pricey for this retired school teacher.

5. Bethany Reply

October 6, 2015 at 6:32 pm

We live in So Cal and my family never goes to Disney. My idea of a happy place is not hot, crowded, and expensive. Many of our friends have annual family passes though, and pay for them on the monthly plan. They accept it as part of life just like a car payment and mortgage. I have to wonder what Walt would think of that. I love the old pictures and I wish I could have gone to vintage Disney.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 11, 2015 at 4:58 am

A monthly payment plan…..uggghhhhhh, that just seems SO wrong Bethany!!! 🙁

6. Jacki Reply

October 11, 2015 at 2:34 pm

How fun! I have 8mm movie of me, my sisters and my cousins at Disneyland that my dad took in 1964 (I was 3 at the time). Disneyland was VERY different back then, much less commercial than it is now. Surprisingly, Dad used color film which is pretty amazing for a small home movie camera from that era.