Home » Decade » 1960 » Kon Tiki in Tucson Arizona

February 28, 2017

Kon Tiki in Tucson Arizona

By Sara In AZ

OK, last week I told y’all all about the antiquing Mike and I did around Tucson… this week I will let you in on more Tucson fun we had…..we finally made it to the Kon Tiki tiki bar!!!!

I had been wanting to go to this tiki bar for awhile but we just never had a chance to make it there, finally the time was right and we could squeeze it into our schedule!

Welcome to the Kon Tiki!

100_2333

The Kon Tiki has been open continuously since 1961!

Here is their newly carved tiki statue from Danny “Tiki Diablo” Gallardo – the first new tiki statue they’ve had carved for the Kon Tiki in over 50 years!.

100_2335

As the sign says “Welcome To Paradise”!

100_2340

Ok, first question when you arrive at a tiki bar….what are we going to drink?!

100_2345

We decided to get a Strawberry Scorpion Bowl for one and split it! We would have ordered a bowl for 2, but since we were driving right back to Phoenix when we left the Kon Tiki we played it safe!

100_2347

We decided to order a bunch of appetizers so we could try a lot of different foods they had to offer. We ordered the Kon Tiki Combo Plate, the Kahlua Pulled Pork Sliders and the Monkeys on a Stick. We were starving when we got there so ordering all these appetizers worked out really well for us and……we were absolutely stuffed when we left! We loved everything we ate, it was all fabulous!

1483835656476

From what the staff told us the décor is mostly original from when the Kon Tiki opened in 1961.

1483834168714

So cool!

1483834494976

Honestly, I LOVE this place! I only wish I lived closer…I’d probably be in there ALL the time!!! All of the staff we interacted with were super friendly, the food was great and the drink was fabulous! Also, don’t let my pictures fool you…..we got there early so we could beat the crowds, by the time we left the Kon Tiki the place was packed!

It was totally a blast visiting the Kon Tiki, if you are ever in Tucson be sure to stop in!

11 Responses to Kon Tiki in Tucson Arizona

1. Kim B. Reply

February 28, 2017 at 9:05 am

It reminds me of the famous but no longer with us, Khaiki Restaurant, that was in Columbus, Ohio. There was a rain forrest in the dining room and it would thunder, lightning and rain. My husband and I went there for dinner before his junior prom and I can remember going there with my grandparents. It’s so sad it is gone.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Kim – That place sounds AMAZING… I mean an indoor rainforest – wow!!!! Uggghhhhhhh, so sad it is no longer there. 🙁

• MidModMichelle Reply

March 3, 2017 at 10:19 pm

The Kahiki story is so sad. I can’t believe they leveled that tiki palace for a Walgreens or something. UGH. :'( So glad we still have the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale!!

2. Susan from Boston Reply

February 28, 2017 at 1:11 pm

OMG! That looks so fun!!!! Man-o-man! I have to get out to Phoenix.

Did I ever tell you my BFF lives in Scottsdale? How far is that from you (too lazy to look at Google Maps)?

I don’t think we have anything like this on the East Coast. I could be wrong though…

BTW, meant to ask. That woman on the menu… you have a framed version of that in your dining room. I know that image is Mid-Century but is there a name for it? I would imagine acquiring an original would be very expensive.

xo
    Susan

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Susan – Depends on where she is in Scottsdale as the city is big-ish…but actually probably not that far at all! This tiki bar is in Tucson though and that is probably about an hour and a half south of Phoenix/Scottsdale.

I think you might have some tiki bars over there…..but not exactly sure where!

The picture is called either “Chinese Girl” or “Green Lady”…..I’ve seen both terms used and it is by Tretchikoff. It was painted in 1952 and was a VERY popular print back in the day and even now! You can still buy it as a new print….I scored my at Goodwill for like $8!

• Susan from Boston Reply

March 2, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Hi Sara!

Thank you for the info on Chinese Girl or Green Lady. I’ve seen this image before — I cannot recall where — maybe it was during a season of Mad Men. I have noticed a lot of retro bloggers, like you, have a copy.

Thanks again!

Best,
        Susan

February 28, 2017 at 1:47 pm

OMG, what an awesome Tiki bar! Looks like such a great atmosphere in there!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2017 at 5:17 pm

It is an awesome tiki bar Andrea…..totally great atmosphere!!!

4. Susan from Boston Reply

March 2, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Sara!
    When I Googled “Chinese Girl” I found this article. The original is up for sale: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/vladimir-tretchikoffs-chinese-girl-up-for-sale-8467244.html

5. MidModMichelle Reply

March 3, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Love the Kon Tiki! The hubs is from Sierra Vista and used to go there with his folks as a kiddo. Love to go when we visit his family in the area!