Home » Decade » 1950 » Shopping for Antiques in Tucson!

February 21, 2017

Shopping for Antiques in Tucson!

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I decided to make a quick day trip to Tucson recently and, of course, we had to stop in at a few antique shops along the way. Let me tell you – the vintage/mid century stuff is getting harder and harder to find! Eeps! Be sure to snap it up if you ever see anything you like if it is at a good price!

While we did not see a lot of really great mid century stuff, there were a few cool things I took some pics of…..let’s check it out!

I adore chalkware lamps….these Continental Art Company lamps are no exception!

100_2322

Unfortunately, no shades are with the lamps….the price was $198.

100_2323

This vintage cooler had me at the graphics…….sweet!

100_2328

But we didn’t have it in the funds to spend $62 on this vintage cooler.

100_2327

I was seriously in love with this vintage clothes pin bag, it would have gone home with us if I didn’t already have another clothes pin bag! This was $12.

100_2330

I *almost* bought this cork desk caddy for $5…..but we just don’t have a lot of spare room on the desk so I left it behind. Home it goes to a FAB new home!

100_2332

And finally…….vintage mailboxes!!!! EEeeEEEeeeEEeeeeeeEEeeee!!!!! Oh gosh, I wanted one of these SO badly – you have no idea!!!! Unfortunately, one of these mailboxes just isn’t in the cards for us at this house…bummer!

100_2324

The price though…it seems SO cheap at $38! I don’t even think you could buy a cheap new one for that!

100_2325

I can just imagine one of them painted turquoise and black….SO cool!

Stay tuned….next Tuesday we will be having more Tucson fun!

14 Responses to Shopping for Antiques in Tucson!

1. Susan Reply

February 21, 2017 at 10:41 am

Sara! OMG! That clothespin bag!!!!! You should have bought it and sold it on your Esty shop. I would have purchased it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 22, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Susan! Drats…..if only I would have known!!! 🙁

February 21, 2017 at 11:52 am

I love that cooler! But wow, that price. Those mailboxes are for sure a good deal.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 22, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Eartha – I know…the prices were all over the place…I thought the cooler was crazy high and the mail boxes were pretty low…go figure!

3. Courtney Reply

February 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I am from Tucson and visit there very few months (currently residing in Vegas). I recognize those mailboxes from one of the new antique malls on Speedway! I’m going back in a week, and can’t wait to go treasure hunting again! Hope you scored big. 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 22, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Good eye Courtney! Yes, we were at one on Speedway! Seems like it *might* be run/owned? by the same person who had Copper Country next door??? I have to say I miss Copper Country though – and that weird little thrift type shop at the back…I always seemed to find something to bring home from that place! Anyway, sadly…no we did not score big on this trip…bummer…..I hope you can score big since I did not – be sure to let me know if you find anything!

• Courtney Reply

February 23, 2017 at 1:32 am

I’ll definitely let you know! We miss Fred’s thrift in back of Copper Country too. It doesn’t seem like a lot of vendors moved to 22nd Street Antique Mall with Copper Country’s closing. Midtown Mercantile and one other small antique shop on Speedway are all that’s left. Be sure to check out Russell’s Retro next time you’re down. My hauls have been skimpy the last few times I’ve been back, but spring trips usually don’t disappoint! Wish me luck!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2017 at 2:44 pm

It seems like there used to be SO many more antique/vintage type shops there and there are so few now…..but honestly I could say the same for the Phoenix/Glendale area too. Thanks for reminding me about Russell’s Retro…I will make it a point to get there next time we go! Fingers crossed that your spring trip does not disappoint…..Good luck!!!!!!

4. Courtney Reply

February 21, 2017 at 4:19 pm

*every few months, I mean…..

5. Jonny Reply

February 22, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I agree about good stuff getting harder to find. And it’s just been in the last couple of years, but I feel like most of the low-hanging fruit has been picked. Glad I got a houseful before the well went dry!

• Courtney Reply

February 23, 2017 at 1:35 am

I agree, Jonny!

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 25, 2017 at 2:48 pm

It really is harder Jonny….I used to see tons of stuff at the thrifts…not so much anymore….the antique stores seem to be the same way too. Yes, I’m so glad I started this vintage hunt years ago!

6. Brenny in MS Reply

March 5, 2017 at 2:07 am

Does anyone know the name of the shop that the mailboxes are located? I would love to contact them and buy one!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 15, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Hi Brenny It was Speedway Antique Mall in Tucson, the number is 520.327.1200

Let me know if you get one!