Home » Decade » 1950 » Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table – Thursday Retro Rewind

March 2, 2017

Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table – Thursday Retro Rewind

Continuing on with re-posting my Heywood Wakefield refinishing series…….we are refinishing a Heywood Wakefield Corner Table this week! I scored this piece of H-W at a local thrift store and I was thrilled that I found a piece of H-W SO cheap! I was so happy I didn’t have to refinish an entire dining room set that this seemed like a piece of cake to refinish to me….once again I used the awesome Heywood Wakefield stain from seller needful_useful_things !

By Sara In AZ

I really, really love Heywood Wakefield furniture! If I can find the stuff at a reasonable price, I will always pick it up. It seems like most of the Heywood I find are pieces that need total refinishing because I am cheap and don’t want to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for the “perfect” furniture. Check out the post on my Heywood dining table HERE. I have to say this corner/end table was probably my best find ever, though you probably think I am insane for saying that from these first few pics. I bought this Heywood table at a thrift store here in Phoenix for $15. This table is marked c 3755 G and was made from 1940-1944 when Heywood Wakefield was using paper labels instead of the burned in ‘Eagle’ logo. I almost passed this by at the thrift store, but then I was thinking “That sure does look like Heywood”. So I went for a closer look – only hand written numbers on the bottom, no paper label at all. I was positive 3755 sounded like a Heywood number, but I was not totally sure. So, I took a chance that it was really Heywood and bought it ! This poor side table was SO beat up, as you can see from the pics. It had these huge dents in the side edges of the wood, most of the stain was in really bad shape, and it looked like some water had gotten on the bottom of the legs. I think Mike thought I had gone ‘looney tunes’ when he saw this one come through the door. I looked the table up when I got home, and sure enough it is a Heywood Wakefield table. I am assuming the paper label just fell off over time. I am sure the thrift store would not have sold this for just $15 had they known what it really was- though it did need a HUUUGE amount of work.

Oh boy, starting the sanding process……………. There was really no way of removing the legs for sanding/staining, so I just had to work around that! And yes, I did manage to sand out all those dents!

And onto the staining process. I always like the staining process, the furniture always looks so pretty and fresh. I always use this ‘Heywood’ stain I get off of E-Bay. There is a guy on there who mixes stain to match Champagne and Wheat finishes. It is a stain and topcoat all in one so you do not have to worry about too many steps. I have always had really good luck with his stains, and he will mix custom colors for you if you need that as well. HERE is a link to his E-Bay store.

And here is the finished product! Ta Da!

I think it turned out pretty good! Has anyone else out there refinished any old furniture? If so we would love to hear your story!

And lastly,  here is the table at the “retro ranch”!

Coming up next Thursday – I refinish a set of Heywood Wakefield Encore night stands!

10 Responses to Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table – Thursday Retro Rewind

1. Jacki Reply

March 2, 2017 at 9:29 am

Hey Sara, I’ll buy you a plane ticket to Knoxville if you’ll come and refinish all of my project pieces (LOL). That looks like it’s brand new! Fabulous job.

2. Susan from Boston Reply

March 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Looks beautiful!!!

Although, I (still) cannot help but admire your pinch pleat barkcloth curtains. I cannot believe you made them. I mean I believe it but for me that’s just so far beyond my capability. My mother would be so proud of you. She used to sew/make pinch pleat curtains. Growing up, every curtain in our house was a pinch pleat made by mom.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 4, 2017 at 2:01 pm

You Mom sounds totally awesome Susan!!! And you know what…sometimes I can’t even believe I made them! 🙂

3. MidModMichelle Reply

March 3, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Great job!! We have 2 Hey-Wake end tables that I really need to find the time to refinish. I have no idea what I’m doing though, so good to read your posts ahead of time. lol.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 4, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Stay tuned for the “definitive” post on refinishing Michelle….I am re-running that post again too……everything you need to know to refinish H-W is in that post! And seriously, you can do it too!

4. Rich G Reply

March 5, 2017 at 9:45 am

Sara – this was a super helpful post. That guy on ebay selling the HW stains is quite the find. This makes every beaten up piece of HW furniture a potential keeper. Love it. I’ve got some piece I’m selling in prep for a move (see the blog link), but now I’m thinking of keeping some and doing a refinish on them. Great stuff. Keep it up!

Rich

5. Larry Reply

April 14, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Hi Sara,

Great job! Do you know if the undersides of the tables were finished as were the tops or were they left just sealed? I’m in the process of re-doing a set of living room tables and I just don’t know if I should use the finish on the bottoms or not.

Thanks for your help and posting.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 14, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Hi Larry, the undersides were always left more “raw”….originally sealed in the lightest way possible. With the table above I just left the underside as it was – I did not sand it at all – and I just refinished the top portion only. With my dining room table…which was stained a very dark shade all over (top and bottom) I sanded the underside down and then just coated it with one coat of the stain from ebay. I hope this helps and thanks…let me know how the tables turn out! 🙂

• Larry Reply

April 15, 2017 at 5:43 am

Perfect! That’s what I assumed, but now I know. Thank you!