Home » Decade » 1950 » Refinishing Our Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands – Thursday Retro Rewind

March 9, 2017

Refinishing Our Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands – Thursday Retro Rewind

Continuing on with re-posting my Heywood Wakefield refinishing series…….we are refinishing a set of Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands this week! I scored these pieces of H-W at an antique store in Texas! These night stands were actually for sale with an entire bedroom set…a headboard and a high and low dresser. The dealer was bringing the H-W in one or two pieces at a time and just the night stands and headboard were there when I visited the store.  The staff insisted the seller would NOT  break up the set as there was literally no prices on anything. I begged them to call the dealer to see if he would sell just the night stands….sure enough he said he would break up the set and they came back to Arizona with me! Once again I used the awesome Heywood Wakefield stain from seller needful_useful_things !

By Sara In AZ

I guess I must have some weird obsession with sanding and staining Heywood Wakefield because it looks like I gave myself another big project with these babies! Remember when I refinished the Corner Table HERE and my Dining Room Table HERE, well I guess I just can’t get enough!

I came across these Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands at an Antique Store in Texas back in 2009 and could not pass them up. I am sure my husband thought I was crazy insane for bringing them home — especially looking like this. They were even worse in person, if you can believe that. There was old chewing gum stuck underneath the top shelf and cobwebs galore amongst other things. Ugh.

Here they are in the Antique Store, just when I was becoming obsessed with them! 🙂

I took some pictures right before I started the sanding process just to show you, in more detail, how bad these were. You can see all the scratches and rubs…..the finish is half worn off.

It’s not pretty is it?

All the pieces have a different color of finish. I really think someone tried to re-stain parts of the night stands at some point along the way, but they sure did not do a very good job.

Here you can really see how different the color of the top looks compared to the drawer. The drawer is more of what the original ‘Wheat’ finish should look like, although it is in really bad shape here. The rest of the night stand has already been sanded.

Whew, all sanded and ready for the stain!

And onto the staining process. I always use this ‘Heywood’ stain I get off of E-Bay. There is a guy on there who mixes stain to match Champagne and Wheat finishes. It is a stain and topcoat all in one so you do not have to worry about too many steps. I have always had really good luck with his stains, and he will mix custom colors for you if you need that as well. HERE is a link to his E-Bay store.

The little legs were stained first. We decided not to remove them, as it looked like it would be more trouble than it was worth.

The sides (to the top shelf) and the drawer pulls all getting stain.

Ahhhhh, the night stands are looking better already!

The drawers and the top shelves all getting stain. I had to hold the drawers down with books wrapped in foil so they would stay steady as I was applying the stain.

And finally, the finished product! YAY!

No more cobwebs and chewing gum is also a plus! 😉

And lastly, here are the night stands at the “retro ranch”!

Coming up next Thursday – I refinish a Heywood Wakefield Desk/Bookcase….and let everyone in on all of my refinishing techniques!

6 Responses to Refinishing Our Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands – Thursday Retro Rewind

1. MrsC Reply

March 9, 2017 at 8:07 am

Matching Moss Lamps!!!
    Details please on how you came by those beauties!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 9, 2017 at 6:59 pm

GREAT eye MrsC! I scored them off of eBay years back….the seller had no idea what they were (I think they just had them listed under “50s lamps” or something like that) so I got them for a steal! They are the Moss Fire Man/Woman lamps…..the “Fire” figurines are from Ceramic Arts Studio. Shades are not original, but I think they work well on the lamps!Stay tuned for a link to my Instagram page this Saturday….more Moss lamps over there!

2. Susan from Boston Reply

March 9, 2017 at 1:12 pm

WowZa!!!! Nice job!!!!

BTW, I helped a woman from my train pick up a bedroom set that someone was selling on Craig’s List (I have a pickup truck). We arranged to meet at the Seller’s location separately in case the entire bedroom set didn’t fit in my truck (it almost did). I arrived at the seller’s house before my train friend. I explain to the seller, who is a woman, who I am. She takes me inside her home, up the stairs and into her spare bedroom.

I nearly died when I saw the bedroom set I was picking up is a HW bedroom set in pristine condition Sara, PRISTINE!!!!!!!!!! I turned to the seller and said, “How much are you asking for this set?” She said, “$250.” Sara, I nearly fainted. $250 for a 1960s HW bedroom set?!?! In pristine condition????? OMG! What a steal.

The sad thing is, the woman who bought the set has no idea what she has, none, nada, zilch.

I, on the other hand, was dying… because I soooooooooooo wanted this set.

Naturally, when I saw the set, I said to myself, “I have to tell Sara about this!!!”

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 9, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Susan!!! OH.MY.GOD!!!!! $250 for the ENTIRE set?!?! What the what???????????? How on earth did your train friend get SO lucky when she doesn’t even know what H-W is?!

You should make your train friend an offer if she really doesn’t care about H-W….even if you paid her $500 it would still be a great deal….she could go out and buy something else if she’s not really into vintage. Just a thought………………

And how epically nice are you to help out a lady from your train….that is awesome!

3. Susan from Boston Reply

March 14, 2017 at 9:05 am

Sara,

What the What indeed! The woman from my train is only 30 years old and has no idea what HW furniture is. When I told her and explained that she’s sitting on gold, it went right over her head. Sad.

Trust me, I tried to convince her to sell me the furniture. I offered her $1,000 for it. No dice. She likes the set and she said she doesn’t want to have to go out and try and find another set.

Oh well… it wasn’t for lack of trying, believe me.

I told her, in the event she ever decides to get rid of this furniture, she better call me!!!! If nothing else, I told her I can advise her on how to sell it.

RE: my truck. I have had a quad cab pickup truck since 2008. Trust me, when you own a truck, you’re everyone’s best friend, at least for the day. Ha-Ha! All told, that truck has been my lifeline given that I’m restoring an old house. At one point, my BFF tried to convince me to sell it and buy something “better on gas”. I said, “NO WAY! This baby is a necessity.” Besides, my truck has been paid off since 2011. I love not having a car payment. In terms of gas, given that I can work from home and walk to train, gas isn’t an issue.

I just realized, as I type this response, I should have taken a picture of that HW set and sent it to you. Oh well…

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 15, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Susan – UGH!!!!!! Bummer that she wouldn’t take your offer! 🙁 I am actually surprised that she wouldn’t…..she would have made $750 and could have probably gotten something similar-ish for around the $250 price. I wonder how she found it and you didn’t as I know you are kinda looking for H-W too??? Maybe the seller didn’t really know what they had either and did not even call it H-W when they listed it. Anyway, ugh. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find the H-W bedroom set of your dreams SOON and for CHEAP! And try not to give her the evil eye too much on the train! 😉