Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Youngstown, Ohio

March 5, 2017

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Youngstown, Ohio

By MidModMichelle

Shut the front door y’all, this week’s home has a built.in.gong. Yep, that’s right, today we’re checking out a snazzy Asian influenced mid-century modern circa 1957 on a gorgeous 5-acre lot. It’s known as Woodland House, and you’ll never believe the price for this over 2k square foot home- $249,900! DANG. I repeat, 5 acres. DOUBLE DANG. Ok, yes, there have been a few updates. But nothing that couldn’t be fixed up to our retro preferences quite easily. Also, center door knob y’all!

This home is located at 3013 Logan Way, Youngstown, Ohio on a beautiful 5-acre wooded estate. It is a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 2,494 square foot home built in 1957 that is being offered at $249,900. The listing is courtesy of Kathy Szmaj at Burgan Real Estate, Ltd. For more information and additional photos you can check out the listing here. From the listing:

Private. Secluded. Peaceful. Situated on 5 acres and nestled back amongst mature trees and greenery you realize why this home is called the Woodland House. Mid Century Modern at its finest. This sprawling 2500 square foot ranch offers 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and views from every room that will amaze you. Flagstone entry hall, redwood cathedral ceilings, stone fireplace (gas equipped), touch plate low voltage interior lighting and walls of windows are original features of this elegant home. For convenience and efficiency the kitchen has been updated with Merrilat Masterpiece maple cabinets, pull out drawers, Corian counter tops, radiant tile floor and stainless steel appliances. Maple cabinetry and tile floors have been carried over into the main bathroom which has a dual sink vanity and Jacuzzi tub. The master bathroom has the same beautiful cabinetry and includes a tiled walk-in shower. The first floor is completed with a large family room, 3 generous sized bedrooms with tons of closet space and a ½ bath. Downstairs you will find another bedroom and updated full bathroom plus additional living space and storage. Award winning storage design, pocket doors, wet bar, speaker system, 3 patios, stone wall bi-level gardens, sprinkler system, turn- around driveway, 200 amp service. This home won awards for architectural design. It will win your heart when you see everything it has to offer. Home has been pre-inspected by a certified home inspector.

ADDITIONAL EXTERIOR

(Beautiful! Reminds me of California!)

(Now that’s the way to call the kids in for dinner! Ha!)

FOYER

(Gorgeous! I love the slate floors, light fixtures, bamboo shades and built-in closets!)

LIVING ROOM & DEN

(Love the redwood ceiling, paneling, fireplace and windows!! Wonder what is under the carpet?)

(Nice built-ins and I think that’s where the wet bar is.)

DINING ROOM

(The built-in buffet is just stunning! And a great pendant light too!)

KITCHEN

(Changing the backsplash, knobs and light fixtures would be an easy peasy way to retro-fy this kitchen!)

HALL

BEDROOMS

(Those built-ins are so cool!!)

(The solid gold bedroom.)

BATHROOMS

I don’t know much about Youngstown, except that it was home to Mullins Manufacturing, makers of the vintage Youngstown kitchen cabinets. (I really hope they didn’t remove those kind of cabinets from the home when it was renovated.) But I do know many Rust Belt cities are having a renaissance. Perhaps this is your chance to own a fabulous estate for a fraction of the price of a larger and more happening town? It seems like an amazing deal to me. Any readers familiar with the area that would like to weigh in?

14 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Youngstown, Ohio

1. kyle Reply

March 5, 2017 at 7:30 am

Stunning even at double the price.

2. Melinda Reply

March 5, 2017 at 8:49 am

I was worried when the listing was noting all those new cabinets, but I think they did a good job. They are of a style that looks appropriate to the house. I might not keep the corian counter tops, though.

3. Scott Schultz Reply

March 5, 2017 at 11:24 am

This is my dream house. Make a few changes that really wouldn’t be that expensive and it would be perfect.

4. dkzody Reply

March 5, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Absolute perfection. Except for that Ohio thing.

5. Janet in Georgia Reply

March 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Gorgeous! Too bad it is in Youngstown (family was from there).

6. Dee Gee Reply

March 5, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Ohio is awesome- Youngstown however is not !

7. Jonny Reply

March 5, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Would have to rip out the new kitchen cabinets and replace with a set of Youngstown steel cabinets (you can’t live in that town, in that house, without those cabinets, it’s sacrilege!) but this seems like a fantastic house and a realistically affordable price!

That patio view is unreal great, and the rest of the house seems pretty well preserved, this one is a winner.

8. Jacki Reply

March 5, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Pretty house. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this house looks like it has been flipped. For example: New counter tops, sinks, SS appliances, Kitchen and Bath cabinets, faucets, etc. Fortunately, a minor flip and much of the house is preserved. Still a great house.

9. Kat Reply

March 5, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Lovely house, amazing price. I grew up in northeastern Ohio, and there’s a reason I live in on the West Coast now! Clouds, rain, summer humidity, long winters—bleh. That property is probably gorgeous in the fall though.

10. effika Reply

March 5, 2017 at 10:08 pm

This house has some good bones!

Our 1963 ranch has Corian in the bathrooms. They have some microscratches from use, and somebody melted (heat or nail polish remover) a small section in the master bath, but they’re otherwise perfect. Our color is not the fake-granite they have here, though– it’s a swirly yellow!

When we get our kitchen counter top replaced I’ll probably go with Corian, but in a more era-friendly colowray.

• effika Reply

March 5, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I can’t type. 1973. Wouldn’t work very well to have a house before Corian even came out!

11. BobinAlabama Reply

March 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm

A mid century dream come true!

12. sherree Reply

March 6, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I love this house! Yes the kitchen has been updated, but I think it would be a simple fix since the cabinets they chose are plain and with slab doors. At least they did not try to make it a Tuscan Villa. I think with new “retro” laminate counters, cabinet hardware and VCT or cork flooring it would be right back where it belongs. Ditto for the bathrooms. It looks like it all has been well cared for. I would move right in and put up an aluminum Christmas tree to the left of the fireplace while watching the snow fall outside that wall of windows 🙂

13. MidModMichelle Reply

March 10, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Hey y’all, found another adorable time capsule in Youngstown, OH- under $100k! https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/746-Ewing-Rd-Youngstown-OH-44512/34805331_zpid/?