Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing A Vintage New Old Stock Miami Carey Turnette!

April 4, 2017

By Sara In AZ

What is a “Turnette” you ask!? Why it’s the ever popular chrome rotating toothbrush holder!

100_2045

I managed to come across one being auctioned  on eBay a long while back and I was quite intrigued by it since it was NOS! I was thrilled when I won the auction and could not wait to get my hands on it!!!

Here you can see it came from a hardware store in, what I believe to be, Holyoke Massachusetts.

100_2049

Here is a close-up of the label on the box.

100_2048

The box is opening…………………

100_2052

And huzzah! Here is the sweet little Turnette! No instructions came with it – just the mounting screws.

100_2055

So, where to install the Turnette?! The crazy thing about our house is that we literally have NO medicine cabinets or anything of the like…it’s kinda weird! There is one drawer in the hall bath and 2 drawers in the master and that is it (besides the main cabinet base, of course). On our original blueprints we can clearly see where they were going to install the built-in small rectangular cabinets in the hall bath and the master and that was never done…I wish I knew why!!! At any rate, we are trying now to rectify the storage situation in the bathrooms so we thought why not install this Turnette in the hall bath!

Since the hall bath has mirrors on all 3 sides of the vanity and the original tile meets the the mirror all around the vanity as well we really didn’t have a lot of options as to where to put the Turnette. We were not going to remove any of the mirrors and since our tile is mud set we were not going to be cutting into that either…that left us with just small areas of drywall to consider. We have 2 sinks in the hall bath and we decided that the left hand side felt most natural to install the Turnette in. So we made our marks and got to cutting out the drywall!

100_2044

Eeks! It felt SO wrong to be cutting out that drywall!!!

100_2086

Drywall is now cut out and Mike has braced the surrounding area with wood so we can use the mounting screws it came with.

100_2127

And just like that the Turnette is installed!

100_2132

It actually feels like it has always been there, I love it!

100_2134

I somehow even managed to find the perfect size poodle cup to fit the cup holder!

100_2137

I am SUPER thrilled to finally have this installed!

Come back next Tuesday to see what color I decided to paint the hall  bathroom…it’ll probably shock you!

13 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing A Vintage New Old Stock Miami Carey Turnette!

April 4, 2017 at 7:19 am

Well, that’s really cool! 🙂 Can you still get toothbrushes in that size?

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 4, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Eartha! I think you can still get toothbrushes…I will definitely have to try to find some! 🙂

2. Suzy Reply

April 4, 2017 at 10:47 am

I have these for installation in my bathrooms but I missing the bottom plastic trays. We had them in our house growing up.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 4, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Suzy….apparently the soap trays are pretty specific to the rotating units…..I found out the hard way…so if you are buying replacements just make sure they are the right size!

Hey – did you ever get those windows installed???

• Suzy Reply

April 5, 2017 at 12:08 pm

No unfortunately life happens and have not gotten around to them as of yet. I still have the information you provided, and of course I still have the windows 🙂

3. Susan from Boston Reply

April 4, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Oh My God! Shut the front door!!! This looks so awesome!

Love.

Girl, you are like the eBay whisperer.

Also, I WANT that poodle set you made. Girl… you need to sell that stuff on your Etsy shop. I’d buy it.

Ooooh. I have news from my 2nd meeting with the custom cabinet guy.

So excited.

First things first, his quote came within my budget. So Yay!!!
    Second: he gets it, he sooooooooo totally gets it. The cabinet: knotty pine, slab with hammered Amerock Hinges to match my Amerock pulls I recently purchased.
    Third: I gave him the Formica Pink Boomerang sample I had so he can order it.
    AND… before I could say, “I want the Formica to run up the wall.” He beat me to it and said, “I assume you want this to run up the wall?”
    Lastly, we sat and ordered the metal trim from NY Metals to go around the counter.
    Also, he was mindful of the 1951 vintage stove I have… making sure the base of the cabinet matches the same lines as the stove.
    Such attention to detail!!!

All told, we spent 2 hours together, and I had such a great time. He was very thorough and the entire time I was sitting next to him on the computer I was crushing on his Golden Retriever. I kept kissing her head and her two front paws were on my lap the entire time. Swoon! God I love dogs! I can’t wait to get one… but that’s down the road.

Anyhoo… my kitchen cabinet project will commence mid-to-late-May.

I cannot wait!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 4, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Thanks you SO much Susan!!! 🙂

Whoa…..the cabinets…the kitchen….the laminate!!!! This is going to be epic!!!! I am SOOOOO excited for you!!! EEeeeEEeeeEEeeeeEeeeeee!!!!!! You MUST promise to take pictures and document EVERYTHING. I wanna post this when it is wrapped up!

Oh god, can May get here already?! 😉

• Susan from Boston Reply

April 6, 2017 at 8:55 am

OMG Sara! You beat me too it because I was going to ask you if you wouldn’t mind posting/featuring my kitchen when it’s done? I would be so honored.

Thank you. 🙂

I know, right? Come on May… get here already.

There is one remaining thing to do in the kitchen: the trim and baseboards. I need to find a finish guy. My BFF knows a finish guy (he worked on her house) but he lives in RI (where she lives) and sometimes RI contractors do not like to work in MA. Some are licensed to work in both states, some are not. Not sure if her guy is licensed to work in MA. Once the cabinets/counters are in, I’ll call him to find out. If not, I’m back to square one: find a finish guy.

If I had a compound miter saw, I’d consider attempting the project myself but given I’d have to match the trim to the existing trim on the other side, I figured it’s best to leave it to a professional.

Next project: bathroom floor. I’m going to go with the same tile you used in your corner bathtub bathroom… as that blue would work with my blue bathroom. I feel confident I can tackle this project myself.

Talk to you soon. 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 7, 2017 at 10:39 am

Oh yeah Susan….there is NO way I wouldn’t want to feature your kitchen….it’s gonna be epic!!!

Fingers crossed that the finish guy your friend told you about comes through!!!

The tile…..it is definitely something you can do yourself….your biggest problem will be cutting all of the small tiles to fit around baseboards etc. as you won’t always be able to fit in a whole tile everywhere you are laying it. You should do some dry layouts first just to see if you like the flow and also make SURE you are keeping everything dead-on straight as you do not want a curving line of tile! Eeps!

4. Lyn Dono Reply

April 7, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Nice turn of events. I remember the turnette in a friends home growing up. Of course she didn’t have that wonderful poodle cup. This gals home was the one mid-century on a street of older homes. Her home always seemed a bit more fun to me because of things like the turnette. Thanks for posting.

• Susan from Boston Reply

April 8, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for that bit of advice. 🙂 Laying tile flooring will be a first for me….

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 9, 2017 at 4:17 am

Yeah, just be careful cutting those super small tiles…..it can be VERY hard and tedious. 🙁 In a few weeks I will be showing the mosaic tile we choose…you we see ALL the cuts we had to make. Ugh!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 9, 2017 at 4:15 am

Ohhhhhhhh, your friends house sounds amazing Lyn…..I can just imagine why it enchanted you so much!!! Glad my post could bring back good memories for you! 🙂