Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing New Vintage Look Mosaic Tile Flooring in the Hall Bathroom

April 25, 2017

By Sara In AZ

I can’t believe we FINALLY made it to the flooring part of this renovation!!! Whoooooo-weeeeeeeeee!!!! There was nothing I was looking forward to more during this rehab than changing out the flooring in this bathroom!

100_2013

As I said before, the sellers of our house pulled the original flooring and installed this new tile so the house would be more “sell-able” . Ugh.

100_2015

They even tore out the original wooden baseboards and put in these tile baseboards to match the new tile.

100_2018

So yes, time for a change!

100_2036

For the longest time I was OBSESSED with finding some mosaic tile that had some gold streaks or gold something in it so it would kind of go along with my gold theme in the bathroom. I looked on and off for months…nothing. I had to face facts that gold tiles were just not gonna happen and move on. Sad smile

So, I went back to Merola tile at Home Depot and pondered the Crystalline Beige tile for a very long time. We were happy with the Crystalline Blue tile we installed in the master bath so I thought this mosaic tile could be an option but it REALLY bothered me that there were no white tiles in the mix of the mosaic.

After a lot of pondering we did decide to go with the Crystalline Beige Tile from Merola .

100_1987

And we also ordered some sheets of the Crystalline White from Merola too………and ………

100_1995

………………even though we had this HUGE stack of tiles……………..

100_1991

….we devised our own pattern and tediously pulled off brown tiles and re-attached white tiles in their place!

100_1996

I know, I know – we ARE completely insane aren’t we?! We both just felt that the brown/beige mosaic needed that pop of white in our bathroom!

100_2001

Here is an idea of what the mosaic tiles will look like.

100_2009

Then we went into “demo” mode and pulled all the old/new tile!

100_2037

Floors are all clear and scraped!

100_2108

Now we are trying different “dry” layouts in the bathroom just to see how the tile will align with everything.

100_2154

Once we had the layout nailed down it was time to start installing!

100_2163

And then we had to make about a million and a half cuts for the edge tiles………..

100_2165

…….SO many little tile cuts under the vanity!!!!!!

100_2168

And we are onto grouting…….

100_2180

….we used the same Pewter colored grout that we used in the master bath.

100_2183

Needless to say, I was thrilled when the grouting was finished!

100_2187

And here is the final result!

100_2188

I forgot to include in this post that we also installed new baseboards (just like the master), they look so much more appropriate than the tile baseboards!

100_2190

Also, I’m REALLY happy we have some white tile in the mix too!!!

100_2193

Before:

100_2013

After:

100_2189

LOVE it!!!!!!!

Come back next Tuesday to see all the kitschy décor come in!

18 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing New Vintage Look Mosaic Tile Flooring in the Hall Bathroom

1. Melinda Reply

April 25, 2017 at 7:44 am

This looks great. Well worth your effort to swap in the white tiles.

2. MrsC Reply

April 25, 2017 at 7:47 am

That looks SO much better!
    I can’t wait to see what you have for us next week!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Thanks you so much Mrs C….just you wait – it’s a poodle extravaganza!!! hee! 🙂

3. Uncle Atom Reply

April 25, 2017 at 9:01 am

The results look great, nice work figuring out how to get what you wanted by combining white to the other colors.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Uncle Atom! And yeah, so glad we combined the two to make what we wanted!

4. A Reply

April 25, 2017 at 9:42 am

So much better. Good job.

April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am

It looks so good! And you kids are just so smart. The while tile addition makes all the difference. This looks uncannily like the tile that my grandparents had in their guest bath. Well done!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Thank you so much Eartha!!! We are so glad we added the white tiles, it just wouldn’t be the same without them…..and how cool that our tile looks like your grandparents tile!!!

6. Alicia Reply

April 25, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Wowza, Sara! That looks great, and I think that mixing in the white mosaics was well worth the effort. I love it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Oh gosh, thank you Alicia! It was a pain doing all the reconfiguration of the tiles, but we are SO glad we did it in the end!

ps – did y’all ever order the blue tiles?

7. Susan from Boston Reply

April 26, 2017 at 9:17 am

L-O-V-E LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it.

Well done you two. Nicely done. Looks AMAZING.

I cannot even being to tell you how much it frustrates me when homeowners ruin mid-century. I look around my house (which isn’t mid-century, it’s turn of the century) and shake my d*mn head over the things I see and cannot help but ask, “Why did they do that????”

My neighbor bought a time capsule 1950s ranch. When I saw the listing photos (before she purchased it) I was swooning. Well, now that she’s been in the house for a while, she has already begun to systematically destroy all the glorious vintage-ness. It is heartbreaking. Had that house been on the market when I was looking in 2012, I would have paid any price to scoop it up.

Sigh.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Thank you SO much Susan!!! 🙂

And I know, I will never get it either…why a lot of people hate MC SO much. Seems like most people just follow the trends and when it’s out they are onto the next trend. 🙁

That poor, poor house beside you, I hope you could at least rescue some of the stuff she tossed…………………….ugh.

8. Cheryl H Reply

April 26, 2017 at 10:48 am

That is really pretty! Wished I had thought of pewter grout when I did our tile bathroom floor. That looks like it would show less dirt in the grout lines.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Thank you Cheryl! And we only learned to do darker grout from our mistake of doing light grout at our previous house! 🙂

9. BobinAlabama Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:11 pm

It’s good to see others who value the original character of a home. Consequently, they restore it to a time-appropriate style. Kudos to these folks, in spite of the home improvement industry and its culture of “rip out and replace with whatever is trendy”.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 26, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Awww, thanks Bob! We definitely value the character of our home…we sought it out when we were looking to buy actually. We were REALLY disappointed that the sellers of our house had started ripping stuff out trying to ready the house for sale…luckily they hadn’t gotten too far because yeah – they were definitely going down the “trendy” path. 🙁