Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing Vintage New Old Stock Moen Boutique Bathroom Faucets

April 18, 2017

By Sara In AZ

Let’s all get in the time machine and travel back to mid-2014…we had just bought the retro ranch months earlier and as we were rehabbing the house I was starting to ponder what kind of faucets we should install in all of the bathrooms. This was a really hard one to figure out…in that I had absolutely no idea what kind of faucets I wanted.

Not one of the sink faucets in our house was original. All of the faucets were ok….they worked,  but also they were poorly made…loose handles, etc. They also didn’t look like they really belonged in a 1960s era bathroom.

I  believe that our original sink faucets were the American Standard “Push-Pull” lavatory faucets that you can see in a scan from my my old catalog below.

We still have the original “Push-Pull” shower/bath fixtures in our 2 bathtubs and one shower, that is why I am assuming we had the “Push-Pull” faucets as well.

So this is basically the faucets we were left with in all of the bathrooms…..just your standard everyday big box type faucets.

100_2204

100_2195

As I said before, nothing horrible……just not really fitting the “retro” vibe I am trying to achieve.

The vintage American Standard catalog above is from the late 1960s. You can see the top 2 fixtures shown have lucite/acrylic handles. I think the acrylic faucets were just starting to come into vogue at that time…so I kinda had that in the back of my mind in hunting down faucets for the bathrooms. But still, I had no idea what I even wanted………until I came across a seller on Etsy selling a stash of New Old Stock acrylic vintage Moen faucets!!!!!

*Side note – I would have linked to the Etsy shop, but the seller is no longer selling on Etsy…bummer.*

And just like *that* I snapped up 5 for all of our bathroom faucets!

100_7497

It is a “Boutique” faucet by Moen.

100_7494

Hmmmm, I think we know who our “plumbing contractor” is going to be….a certain someone who goes by the name of “Mike”. Smile

100_7498

So, I am sure that y’all are on the edge of your seats wondering what this faucet could possibly look like right?! Well, here goes!

100_7510

Seriously, it’s perfect for the bathrooms! It has a retro look, it’s acrylic, it’s brand spanking new…what more could I ask for?!

100_7501

Super love the font they used!

100_7503

Here is the original tag attached to the faucet.

100_7508

All of the bits and pieces in the box.

100_7513

And, finally, all of the original paperwork in the box.

100_7512

Soooo, I’ve been sitting on these faucets for almost 3 years now….just counting down the days until we can finally install one and it was finally time as we were doing renovations on the hall bath!

So we bought all of the necessary extras we needed to install the faucets and thought we’d be good to go. We then  removed the old faucets and everything came to a screeching halt!

100_2219

We had heard from the sellers son, who removed all of the original tile counters in the kitchen (ugh) that the tiles were on a very thick bed of mortar. For some reason that completely escaped our mind as we were about to deal with installing these faucets. One faucet removal later and we learned that the tile countertops in the bathrooms are mud set tiles on a 2 inch thick bed of mortar. Yes, they really don’t do stuff like they used to do they?!

100_2223

So, we had to make one more trip to the hardware store in order to buy extra long fittings (bolts and such) for all of the faucets so that we could actually attach these new faucets!

And YAY! The faucets are FINALLY installed!!!

100_2307

I am seriously in love with them!!!

100_2312

It really works!

100_2315

And one last before and after:

100_2197

100_2314

It really is the little things that make all the difference!

Coming up next Tuesday….we install the new flooring!

27 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Installing Vintage New Old Stock Moen Boutique Bathroom Faucets

1. Marianne Reply

April 18, 2017 at 7:47 am

Wow…LOVE THEM!!!

2. Melinda Reply

April 18, 2017 at 7:48 am

I love these! They are the perfect style compliment to your bathroom.

3. Lynne Reply

April 18, 2017 at 9:43 am

Well done! They are PERFECT. Now, just a few bits of black and gold accessories to set off the dials.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:49 am

Thanks Lynne, they really are perfect!

4. MrsC Reply

April 19, 2017 at 7:35 am

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!!
    Now go change that outlet cover!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:50 am

Thank you so much Mrs C! Hopefully soon! 🙂

April 19, 2017 at 9:53 am

MUCH better! And I love the little cursive script on there.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:51 am

I know right?! That script is one of my very favorite things about the faucet Eartha! 🙂

6. Susan from Boston Reply

April 19, 2017 at 10:51 am

Sara,

I need to do the same for my bathroom. The faucet I currently have is decidedly NOT vintage. Let me know if you happen upon anything for my bathroom. I know you receive alerts from eBay. Or… would you mind making recommendations and I’ll make a note to start searching for them? I love the fixtures you got but I’m open to anything….

Best,
    Susan

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:56 am

Susan – one thing you might do locally is just watch the salvage stores for vintage faucets…or ask your plumber if he ever removes any that you might be interested. You could put searches out on ebay/etsy for vintage bathroom faucets and see what pops up….or search for ‘vintage moen faucet’ or ‘vintage american standard faucet’ etc. Let me know if you find anything! 🙂

• Susan from Boston Reply

April 21, 2017 at 9:38 am

Hi Sara,

That’s great advice. Thank you. I hadn’t considered asking my plumber.

You’re so smart!! 🙂

I’ll let you know when I happen upon something.

On a side note: Sometimes, (and I’m sure you feel this way too), I wish the previous owner of my house had left the house alone – kept all the original pieces, rather than updating them thinking they are doing something good. ARGH! It frustrates me to no end.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 21, 2017 at 10:35 am

I am sure you will find just the *perfect* faucet for your bathroom Susan!

And I totally feel your pain…..I so wish the sellers had left our house totally alone, luckily we got here before they totally destroyed the whole place, but I would have loved to see what the kitchen was like TOTALLY original! At least we were left with the original cabinets………………

• Susan from Boston Reply

April 21, 2017 at 10:55 am

Sara,

Would you believe, after I responded to your recommendation/suggestion, I went on eBay and FOUND A FAUCET! Vintage Moen? Exactly what I was looking for?! Not as nice as the faucets you found but this is roughly what I was looking for. I couldn’t believe it.
        Girrrrrrrrrrrl! You are a good luck charm.
        Now, if only I could stumble upon a H-W Bedroom set for $250 on Craig’s List like my train friend.
        I’m STILL not over that, let me tell you.
        🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 24, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Susan! First – that is a great towel ring, I think it will look perfect in your bathroom!

And whaaaaattttt?! You found a faucet THAT fast! WOW! I am impressed! Can’t wait to see pics of it all installed!! Don’t you worry, you will come across that perfect H-W set meant just for you! But yeah, I know…it’s hard not to stew sometimes! 🙂

7. midmichigan Reply

April 19, 2017 at 11:30 am

They look fantastic! Another option that was very popular in the 60’s was the Delta model that had a clear, acrylic ball as the knob. They were around 1962. If you built a new home back then you didn’t want the “old fashion” two handle models in the bath room.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:58 am

Thank you so much midmichigan! And I know just the style of Delta acrylic faucet you are talking about!

8. Cheryl H Reply

April 19, 2017 at 11:43 am

I remember those acrylic push-pull faucets but the style you got is much prettier!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2017 at 11:59 am

Thank you Cheryl….I kinda think so too! 🙂

9. Susan from Boston Reply

April 20, 2017 at 9:41 am

Sara!
    I failed to mention that the faucets look amazing! Well done you, eBay Whisperer. 🙂

10. Angie Reply

April 20, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I could use one of those old one in my down stairs bathroom. To bad you are to far away.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 24, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and etsy Angie – one might just pop up for you!

11. sherree Reply

April 23, 2017 at 7:56 am

Those are just the coolest!
    And the fact that you found 5 of them!
    You are doing such a great job on your home.
    I love reading your posts 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 24, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Awwwww, thanks so much Sherree, that really means a lot! And I know, FIVE……I definitely felt like I won the lottery that day! 🙂