Home » MCM Fun » Author » It’s Lamb Cake Time!!!!

May 11, 2017

It’s Lamb Cake Time!!!!

By Sara In AZ

Ok y’all – remember last year when I showed off my estate sale finds…..the new old stock lamb and bunny cake pans?! Here is a link to the post if you missed it

Estate Sale Score! Vintage New Old Stock Nordic Ware Aluminum Bunny Rabbit and Lamb Cake Molds!

039

At the very end of that post I was already planning my Easter meal…including a Lamb Cake!  Sooooooo, did I make the cake? Did it turn out? You’ll have to read on to get all the details!

I’m not going to lie….not even one little bit……I was nervous about making this cake. Slightly terrified actually. I have never even seen one of these finished cakes up-close and  in person…no one in my family has ever made one in the past….I would not really classify myself as a “baker”. I mean, I can bake….but this just seemed a little above my comfort level if you will. I thought the odds of me coming out the other end of this with a *perfect* lamb cake were slim to none, but I was willing to give it a shot anyways!

First, I went over to The Mid Century Menu and read Ruth’s Lamb Cake Tutorial about a thousand times. I HIGHLY recommend reading through her tutorial if you want to make a Lamb Cake, she seriously has some great advice and her tips REALLY helped me!

Next, I decided what cake I wanted to make……I chose the Chocolate Pound Cake but Ruth has tons of other recipe’s on The Mid Century Menu if you do not like chocolate!

I decided to rope Mike into this Lamb cake extravaganza too, so when Easter Day arrived we were both up bright and early with visions of Lamb cakes in our minds!

Here is the Lamb pan and the recipe!

100_2620

All ingredients are assembled!

100_2627

The Lamb pan has been buttered and floured per Ruth’s strict instructions!

100_2633

The butter is “softening”

100_2630

Butter and sugar are becoming friends!

100_2635

Eggs have been added and now we are mixing in the chocolate and vanilla.

100_2640

And here is the final step – alternately adding the dry ingredients and the milk….we are at the final stages of mixing everything together when this picture was taken.

100_2643

Now we are filling the pan!

100_2645

We forgot to buy baking string, but luckily Mike came through in a pinch and had some copper wires we could tie around the pan. Yay Mike!!!

100_2649

And then we *almost* had an incident of epic proportions…..a mistake on my part that could have resulted in a head-less lamb. Eeeekkkkksssssss!!!! I totally forgot to insert the toothpicks and skewer into the lamb head and ears! I had Mike pop the lamb pan open lickity-split so I could reinforce the poor guy’s head….whew…crisis averted!

100_2650

We wired the  little guy back together, popped him in the oven and crossed our fingers that everything would turn out ok on the other end!

It was killing me to wait to take one side of the form off, but Ruth was adamant that one wait 15 minutes….so wait we did! And we were practically beside ourselves with excitement when the one side came off so perfectly!!!

100_2654

Now, could we get the entire cake out in one piece!?!

EEEEeeeeEeeeEEeeeeEEEeeeeeeEEEeeee!!!! YES! It TOTALLY worked!!!!!

100_2657

I was almost hyperventilating I was SO excited…..I could not believe it – our very first time making a lamb cake and it came out of the pan perfectly!!! Honestly though, it would have never happened were it not for Ruth’s Lamb Cake Tutorial!

Now for the fun part – decorating the cake! I will admit it…..I 100% cheated here and bought Duncan Hines white vanilla frosting to use on the cake!

100_2661

Here is the Lamb all frosted up and with the addition of his eyes and nose but……………………

100_2663

……………..he didn’t seem quite “finished” until we added the coconut!

100_2672

Ha! Oh my gosh, I am STILL surprised we managed to pull off a Lamb cake on our very first try!!! It was a really fun experience and I look forward to making another one next year!

Also, thanks Ruth for your  dedication to making Lamb Cakes easy for everyone to enjoy, I never could have done it without all the tips and recipes on The Mid Century Menu!!!

20 Responses to It’s Lamb Cake Time!!!!

1. Dan Reply

May 11, 2017 at 7:15 am

Looks too much like a toy poodle – and I could never eat a toy poodle.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 11, 2017 at 10:15 am

Hahaha! That what my husband said! 🙂

We ate it, but we felt guilty all the way!!!

May 11, 2017 at 11:19 am

I KNEW you could do it. A lamb cake can’t beat your team. 🙂 He’s adorable.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Ha! I was nervous until the very end, but we managed to pull it off! Whooooo-Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks hon! 🙂

May 11, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE this little guy. You did a GREAT job!!!! 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 11, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Thank you SO much Ruth……that means A LOT coming from you girl – the “Queen” of lamb cakes!!!! 🙂

4. Sandi Reply

May 11, 2017 at 5:33 pm

My daughter made one for Easter on year, and all of her in-laws teased her that it was the Easter Terrier. We have a photo, and by golly, it did. A lamb cake was a tradition of her Bohemian grandmother, who made one for each grandchild for Easter. And, she used a cast iron mold. Sweet memories.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 11, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Oh Sandi – that’s so neat that her Grandmother made one for each child…so sweet! I love that!

And yeah, we couldn’t help but feel a bit horrible cutting into the poor guy….but he was SO good! 🙂

5. Maureen Reply

May 11, 2017 at 9:31 pm

This is adorable!! My grandma used to make the lamb cakes, and we loved them. I found the lamb cake tin several years ago, at a garage sale. I put it somewhere, and I can’t find the dang thing! I really want to try this, it is so cute.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:32 pm

The cake really was the highlight of our Easter day Maureen! Mike and I had such a blast putting it together that I think we’ll make one every year! Now, get to finding that lamb cake tin so you can make one next year too! 🙂

6. Jody Reply

May 12, 2017 at 4:53 am

My aunt used to make this for Easter every year. We called it the dog cake.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Hahaha, I can TOTALLY see why Jody! 🙂

7. Jacki Reply

May 12, 2017 at 7:25 am

I have a cast aluminum rabbit mold that looks like it’s from the ’40’s. I’ve been doing wedding cakes for 30+ years, but rarely make the mold style cakes, but now you’ve inspired me to try out that rabbit. Looks like fun and you did an awesome job on that scratch cake. Not everyone can make a cake from scratch and have it turn out that well. Kudos!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Thank you SO much Jacki! I’ve made some scratch cakes before, but not that many….so yeah, I was not really sure how it would turn out. We were like 2 kids in a candy store when we saw that our work had actually paid off in the end! 🙂 Now go find that rabbit mold – I wanna see a rabbit cake!!!

8. Tess Reply

May 12, 2017 at 8:16 am

Just this week I was flipping through an old cookbook and saw a photo of this very mold used to make different cakes for different seasons. One was frosted light brown and had twigs in its head and holly springs around it– a reindeer! (I would add a red jellybean or maraschino cherry for the nose.)

Another was frosted light brown with white spots, as a fawn in a bed of piped spring frosting flowers.

The lamb had piped frosting curls and a brown face instead of the usual white frosting and coconut all of us did in the day.

The best one, though, had its ears repositioned to hang at the sides of its head, and was frosted white with chocolate brown spots– it looked like a Cocker Spaniel!

I lost my lamb pan in a move, and I’ve not come across another yet, but who knows what the Thriftstore Fairy has up her sleeve yet, eh? She supplied me with a NOS record player this week, *after* I’ve been collecting LPs without a player for a couple of months….

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Oh my gosh Tess, those sound like such great ideas! I LOVE that reindeer idea and that Cocker Spaniel cake sounds completely adorable! Though I am sure then everyone would REALLY say we eating the dog!!! 🙂

Ugh, Bummer on losing your pan in a move…..but yeah, you never know what the thrift store fairy will bestow on you….sounds like you totally scored on the record player! I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed for you and if you ever find a pan I want you to make that Cocker Spaniel cake and send in pics!!!

9. Beth Reply

May 12, 2017 at 11:36 am

With all your skills, I knew this would look great. Instead of tile and spackle, it was cake and icing! There’s nothing you can’t do, Sara!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Beth! Thank you for you kinds words sweetie! I really appreciate that!!! 🙂

10. Lyn Dono Reply

May 12, 2017 at 10:34 pm

YUM. Before coconut the lamb does look a bit like my dogs after a bath. Coconut makes all the difference. Really great cake.

• Sara In AZ Reply