Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Hanging Vintage Poodle Wallpaper Border!

May 9, 2017

By Sara In AZ

OK, are you ready…the very last installment in our hall bathroom renovation!

So of course being a vintage wallpaper lover I have been obsessing for years and years and years over poodle wallpaper. Ages ago, before we found the retro ranch, I always told myself if we ever found the *right* house and I’d have a “poodle” themed bathroom…….and I’d find a way to hang some poodle wallpaper in there!

Flash forward and we have finally found the *right* house, the poodle bathroom is done,  and now it’s time to really figure out the poodle wallpaper situation!

There were 2 different rolls I had that we were contemplating.

100_2227

While this poodle wallpaper has been my very, very favorite for-EVER, I felt the teal background color just was not the right color way for this bathroom.

100_2230

I was definitely leaning towards this pink poodle wallpaper as the pink went really well with the gold paint and kept things light and bright in the room.

100_2228

There was only one problem – I didn’t have enough of the pink wallpaper. Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh. If you take anything away from this post let it be this……..if you are hanging wallpaper you will probably always need WAY more wallpaper than you think you will! I had one almost complete roll of the pink poodle wallpaper and it was not enough to do an approx. 12 X 8 wall. It’s the pattern matching that really causes a lot of waste!

So, we are onto Plan B…..looking for more poodle wallpaper. I would hunt everyday, multiple times a day for poodle wallpaper…nothing! It was driving me k-razy!!! I started thinking maybe I should just give up the dream of poodle wallpaper and let it go once and for all.

Then one day, out of the blue, these vintage poodle wallpaper borders popped up for sale!

100_2467

I thought the black and gold theme of the border would go perfectly in the poodle bathroom! Well, I bought up the poodle wallpaper border lickity-split and was very excited at the thought of having some kind of poodle wallpaper….even if it was only a border!

So, here we are all prepped and ready to hang the poodle wallpaper border – we are just hanging it in the vanity area……

100_2459

…at the top of the soffit/wall.

100_2464

Here is a bigger view of the designs on the poodle border.

100_2469

It is stamped “Union Made” so you know it is old!

100_2471

We had to get out our long straight edge so we could slice off that “Union Made” band at the top.

100_2472

Here we are….ready to make that cut! Scary!!!

100_2474

And here you can see the the first piece has been hung!

100_2475

And here is the last piece!

100_2477

And here we are – all done!

100_2503

While hanging vintage wallpaper border isn’t what I’d classify as “easy” it is definitely easier than hanging wallpaper, so it is a good alternative it you want some vintage paper in a room without having to hang full sheets of wallpaper. You still have to be careful about matching the patterns even though it is a border, so you will also have some waste there. As for the wallpaper glue we just used regular ‘off the shelf’ wallpaper glue from Lowe’s….not wheat paste…it seems to be holding just fine.

Oh my gosh, I am seriously SO excited to finally have some poodle wallpaper on the walls after ALL this time!

100_2502

Dreams really do come true! Smile

16 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Hanging Vintage Poodle Wallpaper Border!

1. Cheryl H Reply

May 9, 2017 at 9:56 am

The border wallpaper is just perfect! Let’s have a pictorial tour of the finished room to see how it all comes together! And what’s next?

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 10, 2017 at 10:19 am

Thanks Cheryl!

Hmmmm…what’s next? Well, we have a bunch of smaller projects like installing more of the faucets (you saw in this bathroom) new grout for some of the tile, wallpaper, etc. Our last BIG project though is the kitchen…..taking out the granite and installing laminate and vintage appliances/vintage sink! I’m not sure when we’ll be able to make it happen….hopefully soon….I will DEFINITELY do a bunch of posts on it when we do the rehab!!!

2. Susan from Boston Reply

May 9, 2017 at 10:31 am

#VintagePoodleWhisperer

Sara, it is as if the stars where aligned for you when that poodle paper popped up. I like that so much better against the gold walls than the pink. Nicely done, as always!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 10, 2017 at 10:26 am

Hee! I love it Susan…..vintage poodle whisperer! 🙂

And I know, I was pretty blown away when I saw that paper come up….it was like the poodle gods saw my desperate plight! Also, originally I was not going to have any gold in the vanity part of the bathroom, only the toilet/bath area….it was going to be all white and just all wallpaper on the one wall. After I figured out I didn’t have enough of the wallpaper I decided to go gold once I found the poodle border!

ps- has the kitchen started up yet???? 🙂

3. Beth Reply

May 9, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Worked out beautifully! What will you do with the poodle wallpapers?

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 10, 2017 at 10:27 am

Thank you so much Beth! I am not sure what I will do with the poodle wallpapers…..I have an assortment of various vintage wallpapers so I guess I will just ponder it for a while! 🙂

4. Elle Reply

May 9, 2017 at 5:25 pm

That is a dream bathroom for me! It turned out just beautiful!
    Congratulations for realizing a dream!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 10, 2017 at 10:29 am

Thank you so much Elle! Sounds like you and I have the same taste! I am really super thrilled that I finally have a poodle theme bathroom, it definitely has been a LONG time in the works! 🙂

5. Jacki Reply

May 10, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Sara, I LOVE the poodles. Was there maybe enough of the pink wallpaper to do a dado? Great job as usual.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 11, 2017 at 10:19 am

Thank you Jacki! We thought about doing half the wall but we couldn’t decide if we wanted to have something like tile on the bottom and do the paper on the top or have the paper on the bottom and something to finish the edge at the top….we were in that “pondering” stage when I found the border so I guess (luckily) our decision was made for us! 🙂

6. Lyn Dono Reply

May 12, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Sara, the boarder looks wonderful! I’m in my mid 50’s and your bathroom project really brings back memories of my childhood. Stuff I haven’t thought about in years. Poodles were really popular, they were everywhere in home decor. I even seem to remember some sort of bubble bath in a poodle shaped container. Too fun. Again, thanks for the memories.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 13, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Awww Lyn! So happy I could bring back nice memories for you! 🙂 I am sure you are right – there HAD to have been a poodle shaped bubble bath container! I, for one, think poodles need to make a comeback in decorating trends…they are just so much fun!!!

7. SEVINA ROSEMAN Reply

May 17, 2017 at 9:57 am

Glad you were able to “roll” with the bumps in your A-plan and find a solution that worked! Looks fantastic!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 17, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Sevina, we are really thrilled with how it turned out!

8. Barri Reply

May 18, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Hi, have you considered framing your poodle wallpaper? Love your bathroom! Ive been collecting poodle stuff since having a standaed poodle. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 24, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Great idea Barri, I might just give that a try! And thanks, sounds like you should try to do a poodle theme bathroom yourself! 🙂