Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage Poodles Invade the Hall Bathroom!

May 2, 2017

By Sara In AZ

Decorating….the FUN part!!!

But first, I don’t know if y’all remember the original toilet that we had in place – it was this newer American Standard toilet.

100_2022

I wish I knew what happened to the original toilet?! Anyway, I just really thought the space would look better with a “vintage” toilet……I love the squared off tanks and footprint of older toilets – so we headed down to our local salvage place to hunt!

Luckily, we found this white Kohler for $40 that fit the bill perfectly!

100_2236

Now, let’s bring on the poodles! Oh my gosh, I was SOOOOO excited about this you have no idea! I’ve had all my vintage poodle stuff boxed up for almost 3 years now….. just waiting for this bathroom to be finished so that I could bring it all out. It was like Christmas day unwrapping all the poodle stuff! We hung a cabinet above the toilet so I’d have a safe place for most of my spaghetti poodles.

100_2289

Mike bought me these Witco-ish wooden poodles years ago, I hung them above the towel bar.

100_2293

I can finally put my Poodle toilet paper holder back into use! Smile

100_2295

I found this poodle valance and window curtain set after we bought this house…we were worried about shower water in the window area and I thought these vinyl curtains were the *perfect* solution!

100_2298

Easy-peasy…just close the curtains when the shower is in use and open them back up after you are done!

100_2300

Of course we also have a poodle shower curtain!

100_2284

Here is a close-up of the design.

100_2497

I was excited to finally hang up my vintage poodle shelf by Ransburg.

100_2288

I somehow managed to find the perfect color poodle bath towels for the bathroom!

100_2480

There is even a poodle bath rug to use after you’ve showered!

100_2494

Some poodle goodies on the vanity.

100_2498

The small white poodle acts as our nightlight!

100_2500

And finally, yes –we even have a poodle hamper!

100_2493

Poodle bathroom – yes, I think we can check this one off the list as done….well, almost!

100_2588

Come back next Tuesday to see one final addition to the golden poodle bathroom…you definitely will not want to miss this!

16 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage Poodles Invade the Hall Bathroom!

May 2, 2017 at 8:53 am

Girl, you are amazing! It’s like a vintage poodle museum in there! You have seriously been squirreling the poodle decor away!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 3, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Eartha! And yes, I have been squirreling away the poodle decor until just the right opportunity presented itself….and this bathroom was it! 🙂

2. Beth Reply

May 2, 2017 at 12:49 pm

WOW!!! This is phenomenal, Sara and Mike. You’ve done an amazing job. I have the same poodle trash can, gifted by an online friend. I can’t imagine what some of those items must have cost; I know vintage poodle ANYTHING, but especially pink, is so expensive. Hope you found them in the wild at deep discounts. As ever, you two provide so much fun and inspiration.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 3, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Thank you Beth!

I have to add that I have been collecting (hoarding) 🙂 the poodle stuff for many years….since way before I was even writing on this blog….all in the hopes I’d be able to put it all together one day to make one epic poodle themed bathroom! And I definitely buy EVERYTHING with a strict budget in mind…..like the poodle hamper I found at an antique store for $40 with a trash can included!!! I just can’t stomach paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for things like this…it’s just not me! All of the spaghetti poodles….some were gifts…otherwise $20 or less!

3. Lyn Dono Reply

May 2, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Poodles a poppin’! Awesome! My half bath (There is no bath in the room, not even half a bath not even a shower! ha-ha) is all comic book art and plastic super heros….or GUYS as my boys called them when they were way younger. I like a bathroom with some personality! Great job. Looking forward to the final addition! P.S. the curtains, shower and window, are a hoot! And the towels! Perfection!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 3, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Lyn! Your comic book art theme bathroom sounds super cool! And I know, let’s put a little personality back into things…..not make everything so ‘plain jane’! 🙂

4. Susan from Boston Reply

May 3, 2017 at 10:16 am

Sarah! I am SPEECHLESS!!!!

This bathroom! The poodles! Oh-my-God!

Loooooooooooooooove!!!!

Ok, I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again, You ARE the Retro Ghost Whisperer.

How on earth did you manage to find vinyl poodles curtains, a hamper, tissue holder, shelf…???? OMG!

You keep this up and I’m going to have to buy a plane ticket to AZ and come to your home… and if that poodle hamper goes missing, don’t look at me. O-k?

😉

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 3, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Thank you so much Susan!!!! Ha-ha, you are too funny!

Seriously, it took me a some years to put all of it together as I’d only buy stuff if the price was right and it was something I thought would really work.

Uh-oh, sounds like I’d better put the poodle hamper on lock-down! HA! 😉

5. MrsC Reply

May 4, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Gorgeous! Absolutely GORGEOUS! Totally Poodlicious!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 7, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thank you so, so, so much MrsC! 🙂

6. Brenny Reply

August 7, 2017 at 4:51 am

This is exactly what I want in a bathroom. Exactly. Planning a redo this fall, so I’d better start shopping for my poodle stuff! This is perfect!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 7, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Ooohhhhh, sounds completely FAB Brenny! Be sure to take pics! 🙂

7. Brenny Reply

August 9, 2017 at 8:16 am

How do I find that next Tuesday’s post on this subject? I’ve searched and searched and am dying to know what the next reveal was! I’ve also been searching for some vinyl poodle curtains because I, too, have a window in my bathtub. I have a separate shower that will be knocked out to make a linen closet and then turn the plumbing around to put a shower in the bathtub. So far no luck on the vinyl curtains so if anybody hears of any please let me know. I did buy a wonderful poodle NOS toilet tank cover! If I knew how to send a pic I would!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2017 at 10:24 am

Hi Brenny, Sorry you were having a hard time finding the post – here is a link:

It was about hanging wallpaper.

I had to look for quite a while before I found my poodle curtains on ebay. I’d recommend continually searching on ebay and etsy for “poodle curtain” or “poodle shower” as sometimes the shower curtain came as a set with window curtains too.

Oh wow, your toilet seat cover sounds amazing! No worries, I can get your e-mail from the back end of the blog and contact you that way so you can send me a picture of it.

8. Brenny Reply

August 10, 2017 at 8:22 am

See, if your posts weren’t so interesting I wouldn’t have cared to find the additional bathroom post. HAHA I LOVE your poodle border! Bravo! Love your blog and your taste too. Very interesting! I have spent many hours reading all your wonderful insight and information. Thank you so much!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 10, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Oh my gosh, that you SO much for the very kind words Brenny!!! I appreciate that more than you can know! It’s really nice to hear such positive feedback….super thrilled you love the blog so much! 🙂 I will be contacting you soon!