Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro Craft Time – Let’s Make a Throw Pillow!

May 25, 2017

Retro Craft Time – Let’s Make a Throw Pillow!

By Sara In AZ

OK, sooooooo……I found this teeny-tiny scrap of fabric at the thrift store a while back and I could not leave it behind…..but what to do with it….what to do?

100_2454

I loved the atomic design so I thought – why not make a pillow!

I washed the fabric piece and also ironed it, then I cut the fabric into more of a straight rectangular piece (basically I cut the curved chunk off at the bottom)  so I’d have a good straight base to start from.

I decided I wanted the pillow to have more of a decorative edge, that would not be stuffed, so to reinforce the edges I broke out my interfacing and and ironed about an inch band all around the front and back (inside) edges of the interior of the pillow.

100_2535

Here is the interfacing waiting to get ironed in. I know it might be unclear why I am doing this……it’ll all make sense in the end! Promise!!!

100_2536

Now the interfacing has been ironed in and we are ready to sew!

100_2539

Sewing!!!!

100_2541

Ok, the perimeter has been sewn and now we need to flip it right side out so we can move onto the next step!

100_2542

Here you can see the pillow is closer to becoming a “pillow”! I have turned the fabric right side out and I’ve ironed down all of the edges – you can see I left a small opening for the stuffing!

100_2545

Stuffing opening!

100_2546

Now, onto the decorative edges! I’m not even sure you’d really call this a “decorative edge” but since I have no idea what else to call it we’ll go with that!

100_2547

Basically what I am doing is sewing a flat perimeter edge all the way around the pillow (where the interfacing was ironed in) . I am ball-parking the width all the way around the pillow by using Post-It notes in the corners as my gauge for width. I am sure there are better methods, but this is just what I grabbed to use because it was literally right there! Smile

Here you can see the inner perimeter has been sewn in – don’t forget that you will still have to leave an opening for the stuffing!

100_2548

And we are finally onto stuffing the pillow! Whooooooo!!!

100_2553

After you stuff the pillow you will need to fold in the edges of the opening (you left for the stuffing) and iron them down so you will have a nice clean edge. You will also need to sew/close in the inner perimeter edge. This can be a bit tricky to do on the sewing machine since you will be fighting against stuffing…you might want to hand stitch this area down.

100_2555

And here is the finished pillow!

100_2578

I’m super happy with how it came out! And yay!!! for the little scrap of fabric finally getting used!

11 Responses to Retro Craft Time – Let’s Make a Throw Pillow!

1. Melinda Reply

May 25, 2017 at 5:36 am

Super cute! And the pillow you’ve made is called a flange edge pillow.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 25, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Melinda!!! And thanks also for FINALLY letting me know the name of the pillow I made!!! 🙂

2. Mary Reply

May 25, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Nice job! That fabric is really interesting, almost a cross between 1950s atomic and 1970s colors. I wonder if the “atomic” elements are actually supposed to be dreamcatchers, or Oros de Dios? Those were popular in the 1970s too.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 25, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Mary! I know, I totally thought the same exact thing….cross between 50s atomic and 60s/70s colors…I’ve never seen anything like before! And you could be right….maybe they are supposed to be dream catchers?????? I love it whatever it is!!!! 🙂

3. Mary Reply

May 25, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Excuse me, Ojos de Dios (Eye of God). 🙂

4. CAT Reply

May 25, 2017 at 12:26 pm

This is EXACTLY what I need to do with a few smaller pieces of vintage fabric I hate to part with. And the PERFECT style – with the edging!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 25, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I know Cat, I just hated throwing this onto the pile of other remnant fabrics I had….I thought it was too cute! I’m so glad I made the effort, I really love the pillow, and honestly it didn’t take much time at all – maybe 1 to 2 hours range…..you can do it!!!! 🙂

5. Susan from Boston Reply

May 25, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Sara! You are a true pioneer woman. Is there anything you can’t do?

Love it!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Awwwww, thanks Susan! XOXO You are too kind!

Well, maybe rebuild an engine?!? 🙂 🙂 🙂

6. Lyn Dono Reply

May 25, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Great pillow! The pattern is tickling something in my brain. Feel like I saw it somewhere in my youth. To me it has a 70s vibe with the orange and brown.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 26, 2017 at 2:22 am

Thanks Lyn! And yeah, totally agree….definitely has a 60s/70s vibe…let me know if you remember! 🙂